DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Peterborough drone operator fined for flying it too high

Hopefully, this article will cause other newbies to read the laws and to obey them.

Hmmm, a slap on the wrist for all those serious charges plus an arrest. Makes no sense to me.

Sounds like he confessed.

An *altered* drone? :rolleyes:

"[Personal Name redacted], who is semi-retired, said he would not use the drone again."

Exactly why many people will never fly a drone to begin with, not even a tiny one that "requires no license."

A couple of dozen of us willing to fly won't carry the drone industry, it will eventually die out if changes are not made. My opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch but I doubt that he could see a drone at a distance of 3 miles, even with binoculars, I wonder what height he reached?

"The prosecution said [Personal Name redacted] used settings on the drone which failed to comply with English regulations." Hmmmm strange, I thought the rules applied to the entire UK, do Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland have different rules or is that a misquote ?
I haven't a clue about the IOM.

Last edited:
Reactions: R.Cowan and Torque
it would seem that the authorities were able to obtain the flight information ,to back up their findings with regards to distance and height
it was really a complete misunderstanding of the rules for flying in the UK and a case where ignorance is not bliss ,and no excuse for the persons wrongdoing
he obviously did not know, that the height shown on the screen device, only applies to directly above the home point ,and if he took off from a fairly high position then as the ground beneath the drone dropped away, he would still think he was under the 400ft maximum ,yes the drone does geofence at about 396ft above the home point, and a message maximum height reached
but we all know it has a maximum setting of 500m to allow it to fly up to that height if you were taking off in a valley and wanted to fly up to a higher point
unfortunately it does paint a disapointing picture ,to the anti drone public, and those who want to paint all drone flyers, as some sort of desperado antisocial low lifes
the fact that it appears that it was only English rules he broke ,just goes to show the ignorance of the media the rules are the same in the whole of the UK

Last edited:
It also shows the BBC journos still don’t bother to check what they write:

• Alternated the drone controller to allow the drone to fly further distances, contrary to the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006

Reactions: Pendolino
I was in the Alps recently with the Air 3 and was tempted to use s snaking road with my wife driving to fly 5 K up the mountain
Quite feasible ro comply with the 400 foot rule and VLOS !
Does updating the home point up date the takeoff height point, I presume yes making a step climb feasible ?

I was in the Alps recently with the Air 3 and was tempted to use s snaking road with my wife driving to fly 5 K up the mountain
Quite feasible ro comply with the 400 foot rule and VLOS !
Does updating the home point up date the takeoff height point, I presume yes making a step climb feasible ?
no it doesnt to do that you would have to land so the motors stop then when you take off again then that height would be where you could then fly up higher again but of course that point would then be the place where the drone returned to if the RTH activated for some reason

...Does updating the home point up date the takeoff height point, I presume yes making a step climb feasible ?
No... you need to land & take off for the barometric sensor to be reset, just update the HP will not update any heights in the app, what's shown will still be height above the "Take off " point.

DJI "fixed" that in later models in that the barometric height is now zeroed at takeoff and doesn't change whenever the home point is updated in flight.

But it was originally possible to re-zero the height with the first generation Phantom-1 when resetting home position while in flight. I demonstrated that in this video.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Geeksvana has just put out a video in which this case is covered first, including footage from the flight in question.

Appeared he flew to 1,500', landed in his back garden and published it online.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Geeksvana has just put out a video in which this case is covered first, including footage from the flight in question.

Appeared he flew to 1,500', landed in his back garden and published it online.
Geeksvana is a true patriot to the cause. Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga