DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Petra Jordan The Treasury

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Just a few samplers of our amazing experience walking the slot canyon in the desert in Petra,Jordan- about 2.0 km (1.2 miles each way).. when, suddenly a view of the Treasury appears through the slot canyon walls. These images are heavily photoshopped to remove people.
Petra is home to roughly 800 tombs, therefore known as the “Royal Tombs”, with the most renowned being The Treasury. The Treasury was originally built as a mausoleum and crypt, and is estimated to be over 2,000 years old.It is a temple carved out of the soft sandstone with scaffolding, hammers and chisels buy the Nabeteans, a tribe that existed in the area. For more information just go to Google.

Dale
Miami

Attachments

• Carol-Nadal in Siq.jpg
    832.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Treasury first view.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Camels and Treasury.jpg
    720 KB · Views: 59
Gotta love how digital handles the lighting dynamic in these shots. I have a slide that matches your Treasury first view image while I was shooting with Kodachrome 25 but there's no way I can scan/process it to show the scene like what you were able to do. In the 1970's there was only one bedouin family with a camel they brought in to entice tourists but it wasn't getting much business back then. Times have certainly changed :)

Reactions: Tiger2
Amazing photos, Dale! I went to Petra in November 2018... Without a drone but with an Osmo Pocket. My video is here :

Reactions: sikspy, PHZ and PAW
Gotta love how digital handles the lighting dynamic in these shots. I have a slide that matches your Treasury first view image while I was shooting with Kodachrome 25 but there's no way I can scan/process it to show the scene like what you were able to do. In the 1970's there was only one bedouin family with a camel they brought in to entice tourists but it wasn't getting much business back then. Times have certainly changed :)
If you are not using the magic of AI Masking in Photoshop/Lighroom, you are really missing the ease with which I can develop any single part of my image separately. I can develop the Treasury separately from the dark walls, lighten the walls, open shadows, remove many people from the image, etc. The originals were horrible. I can mask the sky, the foreground, use a brush to paint a mask where I want to work on a patch separately, etc.
Amazing photos, Dale! I went to Petra in November 2018... Without a drone but with an Osmo Pocket. My video is here :
Cher Bernard:

Merci beaucoup for that magnifique video! You went in 2018. I noticed the crowds were sparser. Our visit was plagued with a crush of humanity, large groups, tour buses , etc. Still, I managed to get the shots I needed. My wife Carol and I are on a 3 week tour of the Middle East- Miami>Doha>Dubai>Abu Dhabi>Luxury desert camp 12 hours south of Abu Dhabi (www.qasaralsarab.com). Then flew from Abu Dhabi to Tel Aviv>Jerusalem, and finally drove into Jordan. We went first to Petra for 2 days (candle lighting at night) . We are staying at the Four Seasons in Amman for 4 days , including city tour, and Jerash.
Your video was wonderful. I marveled at all of the colors you got from the tiny Osmo Pocket. I have mine with me but have been using the OM6 gimbal most of the time with my iPhone 14 Pro Max and getting good footage. I marveled at your room interiors, you're climbing up to the various rooms, and the Monastery, which my legs could not carry me to. At age 84 (wife 78) we are both running out of steam and leg strength and we cannot take those 2 feet high steps up or down.Drones are prohibited ( a big sign at the visitors center).

I loved your editing, your music and compositions. I will be working for months to produce my video which will incorporate timelapse sequences, stars, Nikon stills, OM6 videos, and Osmo Pocket videos.

Dale Davis
M.D.
Miami
My stills and videos. Dale Davis Photography
My videos.

Bernard:

Reactions: Bernard
If you are not using the magic of AI Masking in Photoshop/Lighroom, you are really missing the ease with which I can develop any single part of my image separately. I can develop the Treasury separately from the dark walls, lighten the walls, open shadows, remove many people from the image, etc. The originals were horrible. I can mask the sky, the foreground, use a brush to paint a mask where I want to work on a patch separately, etc.
I do have those masking tools and I use them extensively. My problem lies in the fact that Kodachrome 25 slide film didn't have the dynamic range we can pull out of current generation DSLR sensors and that viewpoint from just inside of the Siq cliff walls presents a challenge the old slide film just wasn't up for.

I will have to settle for lusting after the take you got on that scene - it's a classic and you processed it well.

Hello Dale:
You have seen many different sites and landscapes during your trip to the Middle East!! I very much appreciated your video of Iceland which includes superb photos (I love those of the waterfalls and the blurs of the flowing water!)... No doubt, your video of the Middle East will be exciting!
Thank you for your nice comment on my video of Petra... I specify that the photos were taken with a Canon 650D and not with the Osmo Pocket (which I only use for the videos).
During our trip to Jordan, we also visited Jerash (
) following the castle route (
), we camped in the Wadi Rum desert (
) and returned to Amman via the Dead Sea and Mount Nebo (
)... In Petra, I specify that we climbed the 800 steps which lead to the "Monastery"... on the back of a donkey! :)
I can't wait to see your video of your trip to the Middle East!

Hello Dale:
You have seen many different sites and landscapes during your trip to the Middle East!! I very much appreciated your video of Iceland which includes superb photos (I love those of the waterfalls and the blurs of the flowing water!)... No doubt, your video of the Middle East will be exciting!
Thank you for your nice comment on my video of Petra... I specify that the photos were taken with a Canon 650D and not with the Osmo Pocket (which I only use for the videos).
During our trip to Jordan, we also visited Jerash (
) following the castle route (
), we camped in the Wadi Rum desert (
) and returned to Amman via the Dead Sea and Mount Nebo (
)... In Petra, I specify that we climbed the 800 steps which lead to the "Monastery"... on the back of a donkey! :)
I can't wait to see your video of your trip to the Middle East!
Your Jerash video is fantastic! We are going there today! I shall try in my humble way to even come close to the superb results you got. I am taking my Osmo Pocket and Osmo 6 gimbal with iPhone plus stills with the Ninon DSLR D750 and 28-300mm f 3.5-5.6 lens.

My Middle East trip video will take me several months to generate. Send me your e mail so I can put it on my photography group mailing list-you can send to throng private conversation.

Dale

Your Jerash video is fantastic! We are going there today! I shall try in my humble way to even come close to the superb results you got. I am taking my Osmo Pocket and Osmo 6 gimbal with iPhone plus stills with the Ninon DSLR D750 and 28-300mm f 3.5-5.6 lens.

My Middle East trip video will take me several months to generate. Send me your e mail so I can put it on my photography group mailing list-you can send to throng private conversation.

Dale
Wow Dale. Watch that back of yours. All that kit to walk with. Mind you the lovely guy I go birdwatching with in Naples carries 2 camera bodies, a huge 500mm lens and a tripod. He is not a tall person and looks laden as he walks but boy oh boy does he take great shots. No pain no gain. Safe travels.

What is there to say but wow, this is the best I've seen, Great work thank you Dale for your great efforts and sharing.

What is there to say but wow, this is the best I've seen, Great work thank you Dale for your great efforts and sharing.
All it takes is patience in waiting ort he continuous flow of people to slow for a moment to get the shot. he key is in the processing using AI Masking in Photoshop or Lightroom

All it takes is patience in waiting ort he continuous flow of people to slow for a moment to get the shot. he key is in the processing using AI Masking in Photoshop or Lightroom
Had a fabulous shoot today at Jerash. I have a very full SD card to work on including cards from Osmo Pocket and OM6.

Had a fabulous shoot today at Jerash. I have a very full SD card to work on including cards from Osmo Pocket and OM6.
I would up with 5.31 GB of data on my SD card from today's shoot at Jerash, Jordan. This is, of course, over 2000 years old, conquered by Nabiteans, then the Greeks, then the Romans, and after that, the Byzantines and the Otttomans. These are some of the most well preserved ruins I have ever seen- it is practically like they just left here a few days ago. Included today are several multi image panoramas of 13 and 16 images stitched in Photoshop. All images are processed with AI Masking in Photoshop. Double click to enlarge.Temple of Zeus-Jerash,Jordan.jpg

Attachments

• Corinthian Column Capital.jpg
    710.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Circular Collonade 13 exposure.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: Bernard and AlanL
I like your big panorama of the colonnade along the main street. Nice take on the theater too.

Thank you Dale for these very beautiful photos of this superb site!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki