DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pfco online course

Andyc240

Reactions
So I'm getting a bit of interest with my drone pics and video now and different people have approached me about work so was wondering if an online pfco course would be any good as they seem more affordable and secondly if I did a job for free but I got a donation for it would I still need pfco

Can some one define the rules etc if there being used online etc as part of marketing

Cheers folks

As I understand it, to undertake 'commercial' work requires, currently, a Pfco. Commercial is a broad term and doesn't just mean money changing hands, as other 'commercial considerations' maybe given for work - free advertising, free tickets to a game etc. If the other party is to use them commercially, then I believe that is up to them, but I am not 100% sure how that would be perceived by the CAA/Police - especially if you knew that prior to taking the pictures. I am also not sure where receipt of a donation would sit in that regard either, sorry. As with so many elements of the law, it is pretty grey. having started off thinking I could help you, I am not sure I have - sorry!!!
That being said, having just successfully completed a Pfco course, I can say it is well worthwhile and certainly very interesting. I went through Heliguy and their online content was excellent and easily accessible even after passing, so acts as a great repository as well.

It's a very grey area indeed it's not as if they have made it right for this u need that and that's it lol
And how long did it take for u to pass ur pfco and was it expensive with heliguy

A brighter shade of grey!! Keeps the Lawyers happy:D
The course took me a while because of the lockdown, but I reckon you can get it done within a couple of weeks though - depending on how quickly you want to learn and then availability for the practical assessment. I think it costs £749 - but best to check. Others may do it cheaper, so probably worth a look around.

Actually - just as an update, I am not sure they are doing Pfco anymore, as the rules/laws are changing at the end of the year (although they keep getting delayed). May be worth trying to give them a call to see what they suggest as the best way forward. With the impending change in regulations it all gets a little more grey!!!

Thanks for the info buddy and I know there changing but don't want to pay for something if its not needed as well but also wanna keep myself right when doing things

Reactions: Sullyspurs
Thanks for the info buddy and I know there changing but don't want to pay for something if its not needed as well but also wanna keep myself right when doing things
A tricky one. Maybe worth giving them a call and asking their advice. Good luck either way??

The new EASA drone laws change allows anyone to carry out commercial work, prior the them coming in you have to have Pfco or you can get prosecute. The new laws also bring in new ‘licence’ levels with the first one being an online course. Check heliguys website for a decent explanation and they provide courses if you are interested,

Reactions: Andyc240
PfCO is a mess currently. Its incredibly expensive and might not be needed once EASA comes in depending on what you want to do. Obviously they've been delayed until year end now which makes it a harder choice whether to spend the money or not.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka