DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phantom 3 Pro Gimbal Failure

Ron Caballero CAP

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Verde Valley, AZ and Hampshire County, WV
I recently purchased a used Phantom 3 Pro from a member here. He offered a 30 day warranty, but I did not try to fly it in time. Before I even received it, I purchased two extra batteries, a multi-charger and a case. I went to use it yesterday. Two things:
1) First it would not hover to set the home point, nor hover anywhere.
2) The Gimbal would always hang the camera facing down. I raised it a few times using the wheel on the controller and it would always fall.
Does anyone have any suggestion/s as how to remedy either or both of the above? Gimbal problem more important to me.

Can you elaborate on it will not hover?
The gimbal and camera on the P3adv/pro are easy to replace and actually interchangable. I have a pro that had a dead camera/gimbal and took the camera/gimbal off a dead (ESC error) adv. The entire gimbal/camera assembly must be changed as the gimbal main boards and cameras are different. Excluding any software changes but I can't remember if there were any, it is literally a 5 min job once you know what is involved, maybe half an hour if you are going slow on your first attempt.
The fixed drone now sees itself as an Adv.

Can you elaborate on it will not hover?
The gimbal and camera on the P3adv/pro are easy to replace and actually interchangable. I have a pro that had a dead camera/gimbal and took the camera/gimbal off a dead (ESC error) adv. The entire gimbal/camera assembly must be changed as the gimbal main boards and cameras are different. Excluding any software changes but I can't remember if there were any, it is literally a 5 min job once you know what is involved, maybe half an hour if you are going slow on your first attempt.
The fixed drone now sees itself as an Adv.
As for "Not hover," it really just wobbles and is still relatively easy to fly, just won't stay in one place. I am wondering if the IMU needs calibrating.

As for "replace gimbal assembly," where can I buy one? From DJI? From Amazon? Does it come with full instructions? I am pretty handy at fixing things and I have small tools. I found this on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076J3G...e-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp
I see, it does not include a camera. I don't see any method for connecting one.
Or, do I need to find one with the camera?
I also found this on EBay: Original DJI Mavic Pro Gimbal Camera Assembly 4k Video Camera and Gimbal for sale online | eBay
But all I find is for Mavic Pro...

Last edited:
Sorry what drone are we talking about? I thought a Phantom 3?
For me when I first got the Phantom I was impressed by how well the it hovers and holds position, then I got a MM.
The MM has an entirely different level of stability and, by comparison in this respect, wipes the floor with the Phantom so wobbling a bit is a bit too vague. Of course the Phantom beats the MM in wind and I very muchlike the course lock. So each drone has its uses.
Low down where I can clearly see the Phantom and it has a good satellite lock and in still air I would be concerned by anything over 3ft side to side or front to back, probably a bit disturbed by 2ft.

If it is definitely a Phantom 3 then I did find this
PHANTOM3 ADV REPLACEMENT HD CAMERA & GIMBAL DJI PHANTOM 3 SPARE PART NO.6 | eBay
but that seems steep to me. It might be better to look for a broken drone sold with a good camera.

The basic swap procedure is
1) release the two safety rivets, ( I normally snip the head off one and split the 'washer' of the others so that only one rivet is destroyed ) I haven't tried the pushing the 'washer' down the rivet shaft to splay the catches thing).
2) Pop out the 4 rubber dampers,
3) disconnect the 2 cables at their plugs and that's it the gimbal and camera are disconnected.
This seems a good video and the guy seems to make a point of mentioning the latch catches on the plugs which it the tricky bit but I am deaf so can't hear what he is saying and only skimmed the video without paying any attention to subtitles

The guy has various covers removed, that is not necessary for a straight swap etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry what drone are we talking about? I thought a Phantom 3?
For me when I first got the Phantom I was impressed by how well the it hovers and holds position, then I got a MM.
The MM has an entirely different level of stability and, by comparison, wipes the floor with the Phantom so wobbling a bit is a bit too vague.
Low down where I can clearly see the Phantom and it has a good satellite lock and in still air I would be concerned by anything over 3ft side to side or front to back, probably a bit disturbed by 2ft.

If it is definitely a Phantom 3 then I did find this
PHANTOM3 ADV REPLACEMENT HD CAMERA & GIMBAL DJI PHANTOM 3 SPARE PART NO.6 | eBay
but that seems steep to me. It might be better to look for a broken drone sold with a good camera.

The basic swap procedure is
1) release the two safety rivets, ( I normally snip the head off one and split the 'washer' of the others so that only one rivet is destroyed ) I haven't tried the pushing the 'washer' down the rivet shaft to splay the catches thing).
2) Pop out the 4 rubber dampers,
3) disconnect the 2 cables at their plugs and that's it the gimbal and camera are disconnected.
This seems a good video and the guy seems to make a point of mentioning the latch catches on the plugs which it the tricky bit but I am deaf so can't hear what he is saying and only skimmed the video without paying any attention to subtitles

The guy has various covers removed, that is not necessary for a straight swap etc.
Thanks for the info. Great Video. Easy-Peasy. I put in a bid on EBay. Auction ends at noon my time on Tuesday. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Don't get sucked into a bidding war.
They used to come up fairly frequently but I haven't looked in a while and bear in mind it is an adv camera/gimbal so 'less valuable' than that of a pro.
Also, do an advanced search and use the completed items option to see what they have been fetching in the recent past.
BTW the drone will fly without the camera/gimbal attached.

They used to come up fairly frequently but I haven't looked in a while and bear in mind it is an adv camera/gimbal so 'less valuable' than that of a pro.
Also, do an advanced search and use the completed items option to see what they have been fetching in the recent past.
This is what it is:

$_32.JPG

DJI Phantom 3 Advanced HD Camera w/ Gimbal for P3 Advanced

I won the auction
Order total: $126.02 including tax and shipping
I checked the connections before bidding. They are the same. I read another post in which you did the same thing, as I recall, and it worked.

PhiliusFoggg

Then there remains the question of stability. I FORGOT TO MENTION, when I said it did not hover in one place, IT FLIPPED OVER, on landing and broke all four props. I want to land a few more times, successfully, before putting on the new gimbal. Mr. Foggg, do you have any other suggestions?

Last edited:
In the app you can check the status of IMU and compass, you can calibrate them anyway but beware of doing either in an unsuitable location.
The Phantom 3 should be able to hover almost perfectly still though if it's windy you will see some minor corrections and the GPS can be out by up to two metres so a little drifting around a spot is sometimes noticeable.

When you land do so by holding the throttle closed and continue to hold the throttle closed until the motors stop, stopping the motors takes a moment or two. The props are at minimum speed that way.
The reason for this approach is, if you use the CSC position (sticks fully back and either fully inwards or fully outwards) to stop the motors, you are commanding maximum roll, reverse and yaw which, from what I have seen, tends to cause the props on at least one side to speed up. This can flip a phantom, as we have both found out, especially if there is a breeze.
In fact, in any wind, I now generally hand catch the phantom. I hover it in front of me and maybe slightly above my head (to keep the props away from my face) then I take hold of the right hand leg and, with my left hand, close the throttle and hold it closed until the motors stop. It is necessary to hold the phantom fairly still untill the motors have stopped otherwise it thinks it is still flying and fights to maintain its position i.e. fights you.
I don't remember doing an auto land, if such an option exists.
That said, be wary of hand catching and check whether you think the P3 hovers steadily enough for this to be safe. KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE PROPS.

If you do crash, be sure to put the sticks in the CSC position ASAP and hold them there for at least 5 sec before attempting to pick the drone up. Make sure any props in contact with a object or the ground are NOT twitching before you pick it up. If the motors have not been shut off they can restart once the obstruction has been removed and they then become carving knives.
A mate of mine crashed my P3 and rushed to recover it, it neatly sliced his arm in about 1/2doz places when the obstucted motor restarted.

I once had a P3 Pro that developed a wobble when hovering after being stored in its case for a few months, turned out that the props had warped ever so slightly. I fitted a complete set of new props and it flew like new

I always take my props off my P3A. Then again I have no choice. It won't fit in my case with props on.

Avoid non-OEM props, except maybe airscrews if they make them. Being sure they're OEM online won't be easy.
I used to get mine from BB, but I'm sure they don't carry them anymore.

There's another site dedicated for Phantoms, PhantomPilots.com. I'm surprised moderators haven't shut this thread down already because they have the other site.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143