DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Philadelphia City Hall

Thanks for the clarification Kodiak and as I said at the start it’s lovely footage.

Can someone in the UK clarify the restriction re flying over built up areas?

What I mean specifically is can I fly over a built up area when there is nobody around eg early weekend mornings?

It would be great if there was pinned thread where drone police could debate whether what someone posted was illegal or whatever so that so many threads weren't hijacked.

@Kodiak, Well done. It was little jerky for me at the start but the picture was great other than that and the view was incredible.

Last edited:
What I mean specifically is can I fly over a built up area when there is nobody around eg early weekend mornings?

No flying within 150m of a built up area or crowds. You can fly over individual buildings and people at a minimum height of 50m. This is under CAA regulations - look for the Drone Safe guidelines. No flying within 1km of an airport either and then are some specific areas of controlled airspacr also.

Under UK civil law landowners ‘own’ the airspace above their house to a height of about 3-400m and technically flying over private property is trespassing. Only above that height does airspace fall under the control of the CAA and fall under criminal law.

So for example the Peak National Park and the National Trust forbid you flying over their land. They can do this however any enforcement would have to be through the civil courts - the police couldn’t arrest you but the landowner could take you to the High Court. Whether they’d bother or not of course is a different discussion.

Note UK civil law is archaic and complex and often successful prosecution comes down to whether complainant a) can be bothered to profess a case and b) whether they can afford to.

Reactions: Jaycee
It would be great if there was pinned thread where drone police could debate whether what someone posted was illegal or whatever so that so many threads weren't hijacked.
@JDawg I agree. It wasn't my intention to hijack the thread, but as a newbie I'm conufsed, as are so many others. Apologies. great video!

I've had the same problem with frame rates on Da Vinci Resolve and ended up having to redo a video at 29.97fps. Looks like you've fixed the problem - it's very smooth now. There is a way of changing the frame rate of a video, but from memory it mucks up the music - which can take as long as re-editing the video. Can't remember the exact link but there's a discussion here: Blackmagic Forum • View topic - How to change the timeline framerate after editing is done

Excellent. And where else should you not be able to exercise your citizens right to do as you please then in Philadelphia USA . You are within hearing distance of the Liberty Bell! Speaking as a Brit that is.

Reactions: kodiak1120
@Kodiak, Well done. It was little jerky for me at the start but the picture was great other than that and the view was incredible.
Thanks. I had an issue with the frame rate in Davinci Resolve, but I fixed it last night so it should be better now.

I've had the same problem with frame rates on Da Vinci Resolve and ended up having to redo a video at 29.97fps. Looks like you've fixed the problem - it's very smooth now. There is a way of changing the frame rate of a video, but from memory it mucks up the music - which can take as long as re-editing the video. Can't remember the exact link but there's a discussion here: Blackmagic Forum • View topic - How to change the timeline framerate after editing is done
Thanks. Redoing the whole project was a PIA, but the video is definitely much smoother, so it was worth it. I have read a few ways to change the frame rate, but none worked for me. The simplest method was to just open your project, delete all of your video and music, change the frame rate of the project to whatever you want, and then "undo" the delete. That worked for me initially, but when I tried to export the video, I got error messages and it wouldn't work. There was also a method that involved exporting an .xml file and change some of the parameters, but I figured by the time I actually got that method figured out it would be quicker just to redo it. Plus, I think this time it came out better because some of the transitions are better timed.

Did you have no issue with signal interference? I am getting such error messages even near strip malls, so I would think that in downtown Philly it would be problematic.

Philly is a great city. Spent a week there last year as a tourist. Saw a lot of the sights.
Now if I remember the tour guides comments, that statue on top is the largest statue of a human on top of a building in the USA if not the world. AND that building holds the world record for the amount of window air conditioners?
I took a picture from the observation deck. EB7E3E21-881E-477A-A925-2A8EB7B061D3.jpeg

I enjoyed the video.
Can you do the same at dusk?

Check out this video I finally got around to putting together from back in July. I think it turned out pretty good:

Edit: the original video was kind of choppy. After researching, I realized it was due to a frame rate issue whereby the frame rate for my project in Davinci Resolve (24 fps) didn't match the frame rate of the footage (29.97 fps). Unfortunately, in Davinci Resolve, you have to set the frame rate for the project BEFORE you import media and you cannot change it thereafter. I ended up having to redo the whole video using the correct (29.97 fps) frame rate. I've uploaded the new video and changed the link. If the link isn't working, it's probably because the video is still being uploaded.
Hi...are you using Davinci Resolve 15? If so, when you import the media (your video) there will be a pop up that asks if you want to change the frame of the DR15 timeline, and if you select YES, the timeline frame rate will change to match your video frame rate.
You can do change the timeline frame rate in settings before you import, but I find responding to the pop up much more efficient/easy.

Hi...are you using Davinci Resolve 15? If so, when you import the media (your video) there will be a pop up that asks if you want to change the frame of the DR15 timeline, and if you select YES, the timeline frame rate will change to match your video frame rate.
You can do change the timeline frame rate in settings before you import, but I find responding to the pop up much more efficient/easy.
Thanks. I'm not sure what version I have. I don't remember a popup window though. Would definitely be nice. Maybe I need to update.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki