DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Philadelphia City Hall

I moved to Philadelphia the weekend you shot this video. This is exactly the kind of shots I'm hoping to make now that I'm a place where I can fly more (moving from DC). Great video man, thanks for the inspiration. I'm studying every day for the 107.

It’s a great video... BUT isn’t this illegal, to fly over a built up area? I’m new here so forgive me if I’ve got this wrong. I’m also British, based in London, so rules may be different in the US. My understanding is that I would not be allowed to do this in a similar location in the UK. Can one of the experienced members please advise?
Thank you. Yes, it's legal if you have your Part 107 Certification and fly in Glass G
Flying over a people is OK just because you have a part 107??? How can there be so many different descriptions of what you can and cant do under part 107?
You got a Special Waiver I guess?
The rules as I read them are, (from FAA dronezone);

Part 107 Operating Rules
  • Unmanned aircraft must weigh less than 55 pounds, including payload, at takeoff
  • Fly in Class G airspace*
  • Keep the unmanned aircraft within visual line-of-sight*
  • Fly at or below 400 feet*
  • Fly during daylight or civil twilight*
  • Fly at or under 100 mph*
  • Yield right of way to manned aircraft*
  • Do not fly directly over people*
  • Do not fly directly over people* (The term "over" refers to the flight of the small unmanned aircraft directly over any part of a person.)
For more detailed operating rules, please see:

*These rules are subject to waiver. For more information about applying for waivers, visit Request a Waiver.

Just confusing........ only 9 main operating rules, NOT flying over any part of a person is two of them....

I didn't fly over any people. Did you watch the video? City Hall was closed since it was 730 am on a Saturday.

Nice video.....I particularly liked the way you stopped one scene, then started immediately into another scene.
How were you able to do that...???

Reactions: kodiak1120
Philly is a great city. Spent a week there last year as a tourist. Saw a lot of the sights.
Now if I remember the tour guides comments, that statue on top is the largest statue of a human on top of a building in the USA if not the world. AND that building holds the world record for the amount of window air conditioners?
I took a picture from the observation deck.

I'd much rather be hit by a falling drone than a window air conditioner :D.

It is ilegal. I am from Philly as well. You need to have permission from City Hall and have a waiver to fly over buildings, cars and people on the ground.

It depends on who you ask at the time in Philly. I fly at the waterworks all the time. While my flying is over the river I still have to get there. That means flying over Kelly drive. I had a police car pull up as I was flying and figured "Here we go" As the officers approached I said hello and asked if flying the drone was a problem. They both had me laughing as the answer I received was "As long as I don't hit a building" then of course, How much it cost, how fast and how high. The video rocks, awesome job. Its amazing how well of a job they did when cleaning city hall. I work at one logan and was happy to see the scaffolding finally go away.

It depends on who you ask at the time in Philly. I fly at the waterworks all the time. While my flying is over the river I still have to get there. That means flying over Kelly drive. I had a police car pull up as I was flying and figured "Here we go" As the officers approached I said hello and asked if flying the drone was a problem. They both had me laughing as the answer I received was "As long as I don't hit a building" then of course, How much it cost, how fast and how high. The video rocks, awesome job. Its amazing how well of a job they did when cleaning city hall. I work at one logan and was happy to see the scaffolding finally go away.
When do you usually go to the Fairmount waterworks? I flew one time there but would like to go there again to fly together. I have a Mavic Pro platinum.

When do you usually go to the Fairmount waterworks? I flew one time there but would like to go there again to fly together. I have a Mavic Pro platinum.

Hit or miss as to when I go. Sometimes I will keep one of the drones in my truck. I work overlooking logan circle. If the sky looks good and the clouds are good and I can leave early I will drive over. Or as the OP of the thread stated, I will drive into the city very early on a Sunday and hit a few spots in Fairmount park. If you don't mind walking some of the stone bridges that cross the Wissahickon creek off of forbidden drive make for a great launch site and then you can cruise low level up n down the creek.

Reactions: macoman
You can fly in Class G airspace as a hobbyist also, but in this area of Philadelphia, you would have to spend about 4 hours contacting the 20+ helipads and airports (Philadelphia International being the major one) to let them know you were going to fly. I just got back from Philly and opted not to take my drone as the time it would take for a 15 min flight just did not seem worth it.

Reactions: macoman
You can fly in Class G airspace as a hobbyist also, but in this area of Philadelphia, you would have to spend about 4 hours contacting the 20+ helipads and airports (Philadelphia International being the major one) to let them know you were going to fly. I just got back from Philly and opted not to take my drone as the time it would take for a 15 min flight just did not seem worth it.

Have you been in "This area of Philadelphia" I have, Daily, as I work there. I also use the apps B4Ufly and Hover and can assure you u are out of the limits of the Philadelphia airports. (international and North east) nor are you geofenced by DJI or DJIGO as I fly my Mavic and Inspires all the time. Assuming the OP used DJIGo4 (I may be wrong) He was able to fly and not grounded as a no fly zone.

I was at Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell and they were within 5 miles of the airport and 20+ helipads (according to B4UFly and Hover), but outside of geofencing. I did not say you could not fly, I just said as a hobbyist, I would have to call a bazillion helipads and airports to fly and to me, that was not worth it for 15 min of flight. Plus watching a helicopter come in just above the buildings let me know why we would need to make that call. We all know that you can fly in a city and that there will always be a debate about what is exactly meant by “people”(as that is a vague term that one can define and justify as they see fit), it’s more just if you want to take the time to make the call to all of the required places before you fly.

I was at Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell and they were within 5 miles of the airport and 20+ helipads (according to B4UFly and Hover), but outside of geofencing. I did not say you could not fly, I just said as a hobbyist, I would have to call a bazillion helipads and airports to fly and to me, that was not worth it for 15 min of flight. Plus watching a helicopter come in just above the buildings let me know why we would need to make that call. We all know that you can fly in a city and that there will always be a debate about what is exactly meant by “people”(as that is a vague term that one can define and justify as they see fit), it’s more just if you want to take the time to make the call to all of the required places before you fly.

Sorry but the 5 mile from Philly airport cuts off at lower south philly. If you were to say straight as a crow flies the liberty bell is more 61/2 miles. There is a helipad near penns landing and a trama center also near by. Know what you get when you call, " Be Careful, Yeah..Thanks, So," and the best was Stay off my F@#$%^g phone line, I'm busy and don't care. Independence hall and liberty bell are national park and they are NFZ. Unless you crash into a crowd such as the one temple student did with a phantom nobody in Philly cares. Try and do the rite thing and you get some colorful answers if anyone picks up the phone.. On that note I gave up trying to call, Never had an issue and just keep my eyes and ears open to my surroundings.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa