DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone disconnected during flight

Huge Bama Fan

Reactions
I use a S8 Active and have never had an issue until today. It disconnected and wouldn't reconnect I even shut down DJI GO 4 and tried Litchi. The only thing that stood out to me is my phone had hit 37% . I don't know that is an issue but I normally don't fly with it low and decided last minute to go fly.

I don't think the phone's battery has anything to do with it. Does your phone normally charge when its connected to the RC?

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Not that I noticed but I normally start out with everything charged. What made me notice the phone battery level was when I restarted the app it brought up the phone battery level really big. I'm going to try to reconnect when get off today.

not sure if its related but on my sony z2 when i first started using djigo it connected right away, now it seems that it shows connected but then disconnects a few seconds after start up, i ususally restart the app on the 3rd time shes fine, not sure why, i have recently tried a modded dji go app from here and so far the 3 times i have used it she connected first time so i deleted the old one and only use this new one, maybe it has to do with firwares not matching on yours, u could check if theres any updates available maybe,

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Made it home and everything worked fine.im going to have to recreate this and add a portable charger to my bag if this actually turns out to be a thing. Although it doesn't make sense to ever set it up that way.

try a different cable. I've had this issue with some cables, never with others.

I had a similar experience on Monday as well, however I started with a full battery. I use a Galaxy S8+ and had it connected via the bottom USB port on the RC. I flew about 600' away towards a cell tower, started POI mode and started circling the tower. After less than a quarter rotation around it, my phone disconnected. The RC was still connected and I could see all of the telemetry there so I started trying to find my way home by watching the distance and trying different directions (heart thudding in my chest!).

Prior to that, I closed down DJI GO 4, started it back up and it wouldn't connect. I then closed it down and did a Force Stop and restarted it; still wouldn't connect. Shut down, Force Stop and tried Litchi; nope. I then remembered that I had my DJI goggles in my car so I got those out, being careful to not obstruct the RC "view" of the sky where I knew the MP to be, and started it up. I checked the goggles and saw that I had a connection and proceeded to fly it back home.

I knew I'd confirmed the home point just after take-off since I'm pretty careful about doing that each flight, but somehow didn't think of trying RTH during my almost 2 minutes of near panic. I've had the MP since November and have over 50 flights on it, but this is the first time I've had anything like this happen so I was a bit shaken up.

Before leaving the house, I did notice that GO 4 had updated itself that day. From this and other threads though it seems more likely that I need to try a new cable and maybe even have a spare handy just in case it were to happen again. I'll also plan to have my goggles with me as a backup on future outings even if I don't intend to use them.

After getting back home, I downloaded the flight logs from my phone and, as expected, the data stopped once it disconnected. I've done a bit of reading since then on the forums and I've not yet found a way to get any user readable logs from either the aircraft or the RC to know what it did after disconnection. Is there any way to do that? I'm worried about the case where my phone disconnects and the aircraft doesn't make it back home. If there were logs in the RC, assuming it was still connected, that could help locate it.

You’re not alone. Had the same happening with my ipad mini 4 last weekend after updating the app... people have been recommending checking the cable or dirt in the usb/lightning ports... but it happened so many times during two days of flying... I suspect the app update is the culprit.

I've done a bit of reading since then on the forums and I've not yet found a way to get any user readable logs from either the aircraft or the RC to know what it did after disconnection. Is there any way to do that? I'm worried about the case where my phone disconnects and the aircraft doesn't make it back home. If there were logs in the RC, assuming it was still connected, that could help locate it.

I'm also interested in this.

I’ve noticed that my iPhone Lightning Cable (which I baby) would have intermittent connections with my Mac. It happened again with when connected to Mavic’s transmitter. I was nervous at first think I was having disconnects that I keep reading about. I’ll need to get a new cable.

I’ve noticed that my iPhone Lightning Cable (which I baby) would have intermittent connections with my Mac. It happened again with when connected to Mavic’s transmitter. I was nervous at first think I was having disconnects that I keep reading about. I’ll need to get a new cable.

Anker cables are the best

Its almost always a cable, or device problem when you get to the bottom of it.
device overloaded, or needs a reboot. Cable ends going bad, dirty connections.......

It happens to too few of people to blame the software and firmware that works fine for MOST users.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke