DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

phone or tablet?

wastair

Reactions
hi guys,
I am currently using my day to day phone (S6) as my screen which is far from ideal and im looking for advice on what to replace it with.
If i get another phone it will be dedicated to the mavic, same as if i got a tablet. there is so much choice out there id like to get the low down from a few experienced flyers who hopefully can save me a heap of deliberation as i try to find the perfect screen for me.
so what do people think?

I use an Ipad 9.7 inch, works very well for me. I am sure others have their preference as well. Good luck

My iPad mini 4 wifi is the smallest screen I want to fly with. One of the pluses for me using the mini 4 is that it allows me a larger screen to plan my LItchi waypoint missions. I've found that my iPhone 6S screen is just too small for me to use it effectively for mission planning.

I regularly use iPhone 10, iPhone 6s, Galaxy S8 and a 2018 iPad. The smaller screens are fine most of the time but if I am flying with the intent of shooting photo/video and not play I tend to use the iPad as the larger screen is great. With any of them I use a device holder to move it away from the remote and a little closer to my face.

I use the S8 the least though I would prefer to use it the most out of the small screens (the iPhone 10 is my in use phone). The Go4 app has been having some issues on the S8 lately though. Generally speaking iOS seems to be a bit more stable with the DJI app.

The iPad mini is pretty much perfect as far as size goes but I did not want to buy something so outdated as far as hardware goes.

Crystal Sky 5.5 or 7" have worked well for me. The 7 ultra bright model is nice in bright sunlight. Both have HDMI output ports and a couple of Micro SD card slots used for viewing your work on site. Just expensive.

My line of thought when first going through this(and I've been through a lot and spent thousands in the process) is that a bigger screen is better, and while that is true to a degree, brightness is by far the more important factor. What good is a big screen if you can't see it? People recommend sunshades for these devices that can't be seen, but that only helps so much. The best thing to do is basically get the brightest screen you can. For a tablet, hands down the crystalsky wins in that regard, but its pricey. For phones, I would go with something like an s9+ or a note 8. They both have displays with brightness levels over 1000 nits and have larger displays. I have used both and I am very impressed with the clarity for a phone. You can find out the brightness on phones or tablets just by doing a Google search of "(insert model here) nits." I wouldn't want to go under around 1000 nits, but I dont want to use any type of shades or anything.

Also, you mentioned that you are using an s6. I have used an s7 and they both have brightness levels around 440 nits, so I know what you are going through using it. It's pretty much crap on bright days. Definitely don't buy anything in the 500 nit range or you will have basically the same problem. The problem is, most phones and tablets just dont have bright screens. You have to look for them. Good luck

I have an Samsung S8 that i use as a general phone and with my MP. I bought it when i found my old Samsung did not have enough grunt. My only regret is i did not get the S8+ but i thought it was too big to fit in my pocket.

I find the very bright screen great and have no trouble seeing it even in the very bright weather we get here in Perth

I have an Samsung S8 that i use as a general phone and with my MP. I bought it when i found my old Samsung did not have enough grunt. My only regret is i did not get the S8+ but i thought it was too big to fit in my pocket.

I find the very bright screen great and have no trouble seeing it even in the very bright weather we get here in Perth
How about scratches ? Does the mounts scratch the phone ? Also is the case possible with the mounts ? ( I'm waiting for my MA some helpful info is appreciated, p.s. I'll use it with s9+ )

No scratches on the screen from the RC mounts.

I have found that I cannot use my phone case with the mounts. Even with no case it is a tight fit but that means the phone is very secure when in the mounts - difficult to have every thing :)

The only other problem is that with no edge on the phone display it is sometimes difficult to access the controls if the phone is pushed too far into the grips.

hi guys,
I am currently using my day to day phone (S6) as my screen which is far from ideal and im looking for advice on what to replace it with.
If i get another phone it will be dedicated to the mavic, same as if i got a tablet. there is so much choice out there id like to get the low down from a few experienced flyers who hopefully can save me a heap of deliberation as i try to find the perfect screen for me.
so what do people think?

Phone - iPhone 6S Plus - largest phone screen to fit in the jaws
Pad - Mini 4 - largest screen to fit in the jaws

I'll just buy me phone holder for the remote. Seams like easier thing to do + keep the phone safe.

I use a Crystalsky Ultra, and it is spectacular!
In addition to being a great monitor in real time, it's equally brilliant playing back the video from the SD card.
I dread taking the SD card out of the CS for loading into my laptop, which pales in comparison.

The CS is heavy compared to phones or Ipad minis, so when feasible, I mount it in a tripod using a Mavicmount adapter designed for CS. That part was only $29 USD. I also bought the Mavmount. To do it over again, I'd skip the Mavmount, and just use the tripod adapter with a tripod that rises up to my eye level, so theres no neck strain looking down all the time.

I also use DJI goggles and they are amazing as well

Last edited:
CrystalSky Ultra is amazing. I can see so much detail in bright sunlight, or even at night.

But I realized whats the point if you aren't allowed to fly the drone out of sight anyway?

CrystalSky Ultra is amazing. I can see so much detail in bright sunlight, or even at night.

But I realized whats the point if you aren't allowed to fly the drone out of sight anyway?
I find the 5 inch too small to pick out detail framing a shot. The 7 inch is way better...even the less brighter 7 inch would be better than the 5. As far as LOS, I try to stay within about 3000 feet out and use strobes. If you can't see the aircraft at 2 to 3000 feet out with strobes, you have the wrong strobes, wrong mounted position or the wrong color. I use red and green on the sides but the front and back are white and show up well under most daylight conditions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem