DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

phone overheating

deebs101

Reactions
The other day I was going for a joy fly and kept on having the problem where my phone would freeze and disconnect from my MA2. It's because my screen brightness was all the way up, probably murdering my poor phone battery, and causing it to get hot enough to stop working. I put the brightness down to 50% and didn't have any more issues...except not really being able to see whats on my screen.

So far it seems like the only solutions are:
1) keep the phone out of the sun
2) close all your apps running in the background
3) use a sun hood

I kept looking around for ways to keep my phone cool and stumbled across this cooling gel pad. So far, it's the only thing i've seen that would fit on the back of my phone and not get in the way of mounting the phone in the controller. Seems like you're able to get a few uses out of each pad until the gel dries up. I think ill take a shot in the dark here and get one for $15, just because i'm curious. Has anyone else seen a similar product? I'll eventually update with a quick review (my expectations are very, very low).

The other day I was going for a joy fly and kept on having the problem where my phone would freeze and disconnect from my MA2. It's because my screen brightness was all the way up, probably murdering my poor phone battery, and causing it to get hot enough to stop working. I put the brightness down to 50% and didn't have any more issues...except not really being able to see whats on my screen.

3) use a sun hood

I kept looking around for ways to keep my phone cool and stumbled across this cooling gel pad. So far, it's the only thing i've seen that would fit on the back of my phone and not get in the way of mounting the phone in the controller. Seems like you're able to get a few uses out of each pad until the gel dries up. I think ill take a shot in the dark here and get one for $15, just because i'm curious. Has anyone else seen a similar product? I'll eventually update with a quick review (my expectations are very, very low).
4) Move to Alaska.

Not seen that one but have seen threads here and PP for years on
members using them .Seems they help some but the solutions you listed plus stay in the shade.Only time trees are a droners freind.
Me sit in truck with air on when I can.?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Phones/tablets are giant black glass screens that absorb every ray of energy from the sun. The solution is to be mindful of your starting temp AND to not stand in the sun.

Reactions: deebs101
I was having this issue with my iPhone & at times the screen would automatically darken to the point I could barely see. A few things I've done to alleviate it, 1 make sure you fly without a case on your phone & 2 use a sun shade. I purchased an inexpensive one on Amazon & it's makes a HUGE difference because my phone doesn't crank the brightness to max & overheat itself.

Also, charging the phone battery and using power-intensive apps like satellite navigation (Google Maps etc.) will cause your phone to heat up, so I try to avoid those immediately before and during flight on hot days.

I had the same issue first time flying my new MA2 and found a forum while looking for solutions that also mentioned flying with the phone set to airplane mode. Since then, aside from what you’ve mentioned already, I do that also. Haven’t had the problem since. I don’t have a screen shade as of yet, but avoiding standing in the sun is probably the biggest factor.

My phone always got hot, my solution was to go to a iPad mini, the device doesn't get hot like the phone did. Works out much better for me.

Am I ever happy to see this posting regarding hot cell phones. I too am using an Iphone 11 and yes it does over heat. I just have one concern and that is when I go flying I use up all 4 of my batteries in succession with only a very short break in between each flight. I wonder if this almost steady flying would be a major cause of heat for my cell phone. Any comments and do you take a longer breaks between batteries in order to cool off the cell phone. ? Any comments would be appreciated.

3) use a sun hood

Don't use an apple product.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada