DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone screen going blank

David Smith

Reactions
Good evening to the rest of the world. I'm increasingly getting an odd thing happening when I fly my Mini 2. Five minutes or so into the flight. The phone screen goes totally Black. Big panic ensues. (Everything is fully charged up) To get The screen back, I have to unlock the phone screen. (Again). Find the DJI fly app in my Apps list. Click on that again to open it. Tap Connect to aircraft. I'm now back seeing what my drone is seeing. And it's stationary, waiting for a command from me. And off we go again, and RTH immediately. It's doing this every time I fly. I'm actually getting used to it now. But one day, I might not get it back. I have installed a genuine new C-type cable from the controller to the Phone. Which incidentally, it's a Samsung A12. brand new 6 months ago. My wife threw in a thought. And I replied, "Yes dear. That's probably what the problem is". Perhaps you have the auto screen lock set too short? she said. I checked. It was set to 30 minutes. So that's not what's causing the issue. I felt all dejected again.
Anyway, people. Have you had this scary problem? Have you cured that problem? I would love to hear from you if you have, please.
Thanks, Dave. In very dreary/Damp and Foggy Suffolk in the good old United kingdom XX

With regards to getting it back, experiment with activating the RTH via the button on the controller and take note of the required action.
If you wish to RTH the drone during one of these app crashes, press the RTH button on the controller appropriately ONCE AND ONLY ONCE. Then sort out the phone and once that is up and running cancel the RTH etc.
BUT NOTE it is likely you still have control of the drone even with a crashed app so you could fly the drone home under manual control.

I know the temptation is to press the button many times but doing so alternatively cancels and starts the RTH procedure, then you are likely to forget which part of the cycle you are in. If that happens and providing the "failsafe" option is RTH the 'solution' is to switch the controller off, that will trigger the failsafe behaviour.

Going back to your wife's comment, is there something in the app itself that shuts down the app if there is no screen touches with in a certain time? I can't remember but I when fiddling with setting etc. with the MAvic Mini indoors I have certainly put the controller down and forgotten about it and significant drained the batteries of both the controller and the phone and the app never shut down. I do not remember if I have done the same thing with the mini 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't bother doing anything when it happens to me. I just let the app restart itself. It takes less than five seconds. DON'T hit RTH when it happens. Just let go of the sticks. If you can see your drone, you still have complete control of it. You don't need the device to fly it. The device just lets you see the camera feed. If you can't see your drone then just wait for the app to restart itself, or you can restart it manually, but it takes longer... You can try reinstalling the app. Don't uninstall it, just reinstall it on top, as if the app is doing an update. That way most of your settings stay the same. But you might end up introducing a new problem. That's why I just let the app do it's stuff, LOL!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser