DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone will not connect to remote through DJI go 4

Gnat from hel

Reactions
Hi I am really having a rough time right now with this connection issue my bird was down for about 2 months I finally got around to replacing the camera because I did gimbal overload and it works great I've hooked up to phone via Wi-Fi and everything is perfect but everytime I go to connect it through the controller I get nothing I can see that the controller is connected to the bird but the app does not open by itself and in fact it does nothing my phone just sits there it will charge though and yes I've used for five different cables and these are the cables I used previously so there should be no issue I've also upgraded the firmware to the latest firmware on the controller and the Drone I'm really at a loss right now and I cannot figure out why it just will not read my phone at all. I'm using a Motorola it's rather new and I've never had an issue with it before and I use USB type-c.is anybody else possibly have a clue I'm burnt out especially after that gimbal theres a few screws in there to say the least. Thanks in advance

This is a common problem, I had it too. Even worse when the software crashes in flight. I am told that the problem is that Android software is 'doctored' by individual manufacturers, whereas Apple devices are not. Despite being anti Apple, I bit the bullet and got a DJI approved iPad, which works with no problems (except to the bank balance!). Even so, there are odd times where you have to reboot to get it to work.

Hey Gnat, I am having exactly the same problem with my LG G5. I have been through just about everything. I borrowed a brand new controller and I have tested various cables and got no joy. The Mavic and the controllers both connect but Go4 just says "disconnected" or "remote controller connection error". This problem has been going on for more than a month and before that I was getting pixelization problems for a couple of months.

Today is borrowed my sons Apple iPhone 7 and it worked just fine with both controllers.
You have to assume that it is the app so my plan is to walk back the app to one about 4 months old and see if that will work.

Think the problem is the sheer volume of data going between the controller and the phone or tablet. It takes so little for the phone to give up the struggle. Much as I hate saying this I found the answer was to go the Apple route. I sweetened the pill by buying a refurbished tablet (check on DJI website that it's a suitable one)

Think the problem is the sheer volume of data going between the controller and the phone or tablet. It takes so little for the phone to give up the struggle. Much as I hate saying this I found the answer was to go the Apple route. I sweetened the pill by buying a refurbished tablet (check on DJI website that it's a suitable one)
Thanks for the reply everyone I appreciate the info

What kills me is I've been flying that thing at the drop of a hat before I put it down for 2 months with the exact same set up. I also saw you can just connect the through the small USB on the upper right then to the phone is that right? I always used to plug it through the bottom USB port then my phone.

Hey Gnat, I am having exactly the same problem with my LG G5. I have been through just about everything. I borrowed a brand new controller and I have tested various cables and got no joy. The Mavic and the controllers both connect but Go4 just says "disconnected" or "remote controller connection error". This problem has been going on for more than a month and before that I was getting pixelization problems for a couple of months.

Today is borrowed my sons Apple iPhone 7 and it worked just fine with both controllers.
You have to assume that it is the app so my plan is to walk back the app to one about 4 months old and see if that will work.
That answer drives me nuts but what can you do. I really hate apple too. I just don't understand what happened when I was using this setup whenever I wanted to just a couple months ago nothing changed. Thx

This is a common problem, I had it too. Even worse when the software crashes in flight. I am told that the problem is that Android software is 'doctored' by individual manufacturers, whereas Apple devices are not. Despite being anti Apple, I bit the bullet and got a DJI approved iPad, which works with no problems (except to the bank balance!). Even so, there are odd times where you have to reboot to get it to work.
What version of iPad did you go for?

Try hooking it up this way:
1 Start your controller
2 Start your drone
3 Plug USB cable into your controller
4 Plug the other end of the USB cable into your phone.
At that point it should ask you what program you want to start. example (DJI Go, DJI Go 4. Litchi)
Pick the program you want to start, but make sure you select to start the program just once.

Try hooking it up this way:
1 Start your controller
2 Start your drone
3 Plug USB cable into your controller
4 Plug the other end of the USB cable into your phone.
At that point it should ask you what program you want to start. example (DJI Go, DJI Go 4. Litchi)
Pick the program you want to start, but make sure you select to start the program just once.
I will try that in just a few minutes. Thanks for the input

I will try that in just a few minutes. Thanks for the input
And I feel foolish asking this because I've seen pictures now online of people plugging the cable into the upper left of the remote and then to the phone which previously I thought I was plugging in the USB port that was under the phone to the phone or am I confusing that with what I did for my spark? Anyhow I don't know why that is confusing me now but I've tried both ports not with the tips you given me yet just curious before I go try. Thanks

You can use the side port, or the bottom port. If you use the bottom port, the side port must NOT have even a cable plugged into it.
Make sure the phones memory isnt full. Make sure all other apps on the phone are closed. It wouldnt hurt to hard reboot the phone.

And I feel foolish asking this because I've seen pictures now online of people plugging the cable into the upper left of the remote and then to the phone which previously I thought I was plugging in the USB port that was under the phone to the phone or am I confusing that with what I did for my spark? Anyhow I don't know why that is confusing me now but I've tried both ports not with the tips you given me yet just curious before I go try. Thanks

I always use the bottom port (make sure your side port is UNPLUGED).
I only use the side port to charge the controller.

Okay I finally got it figured out. I bought three different cables and they worked fine with my friends Android just not mine I also tried and I phone just for the hell of it worked just fine. So it wasn't the remote it wasn't the cable it wasn't the Drone it was my phone. I have a moto Z2 Android and specifically for this phone and I'm sure for every other Android that does not want to connect as I've seen plenty of threads they could have been fixed this way and the idea was throwing out there people just skimmed over it this is the fix though believe me I literally tried everything twice. Need to go into your settings and turn on USB debugging and change your USB port from charging to media transfer protocol MTP. You have to go into your developer options which is available by pressing the build number of your phone 7 times in a row and then like I said go in there turn USB debugging on change charging to MTP and you'll be flying in a matter of minutes. I'm really starting to believe this has been most people's issue. I don't know why all of a sudden started doing that this is the same model phone that I had when I originally got the magic and I didn't have to do this before but I will say I did drop my old phone and mess it up and get a new one but I'm not sure why the developer options would be any different maybe it has something to do with an update I don't know either way that's the fix and it took me about 2 minutes once I realized for sure 100% it's my phone's USB port there's no other reason for it to not be working. Thanks for all the info I appreciate it wouldnt have come to the conclusion that I did without your help. Thx

Reactions: sea157
Okay I finally got it figured out. I bought three different cables and they worked fine with my friends Android just not mine I also tried and I phone just for the **** of it worked just fine. So it wasn't the remote it wasn't the cable it wasn't the Drone it was my phone. I have a moto Z2 Android and specifically for this phone and I'm sure for every other Android that does not want to connect as I've seen plenty of threads they could have been fixed this way and the idea was throwing out there people just skimmed over it this is the fix though believe me I literally tried everything twice. Need to go into your settings and turn on USB debugging and change your USB port from charging to media transfer protocol MTP. You have to go into your developer options which is available by pressing the build number of your phone 7 times in a row and then like I said go in there turn USB debugging on change charging to MTP and you'll be flying in a matter of minutes. I'm really starting to believe this has been most people's issue. I don't know why all of a sudden started doing that this is the same model phone that I had when I originally got the magic and I didn't have to do this before but I will say I did drop my old phone and mess it up and get a new one but I'm not sure why the developer options would be any different maybe it has something to do with an update I don't know either way that's the fix and it took me about 2 minutes once I realized for sure 100% it's my phone's USB port there's no other reason for it to not be working. Thanks for all the info I appreciate it wouldnt have come to the conclusion that I did without your help. Thx
Glad you got it worked out! The joy of the wonderful Android devices!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livewire