DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photo contest. Win a set of Fstop Labs Mavic 2 filters. How should I set it up?

Former Member

Reactions
I have a set of @fstop.labs Labs Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom filters that I would like to offer up to the best photo taken with a Mavic. How can I set up a thread and be fair, make sure peoples photos are their own, that they took them themselves, and that it was taken with a Mavic? Any input would be appreciated.

Also, anyone who is interested in being a judge, let me know.

Gracias!

Rob

I have a set of @fstop.labs Labs Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom filters that I would like to offer up to the best photo taken with a Mavic. How can I set up a thread and be fair, make sure peoples photos are their own, that they took them themselves, and that it was taken with a Mavic? Any input would be appreciated.

Also, anyone who is interested in being a judge, let me know.

Gracias!

Rob

Sounds great, but I can’t enter :(. I bet you work for the US FAA, and are testing those of us in the US about our 107 knowledge, huh? :)

Also need to let people know who keeps the license for using (and where) their photos up front - I know your legit, just making some suggestions for people interested in entering such contests...

Reactions: Former Member
Sounds great, but I can’t enter :(. I bet you work for the US FAA, and are testing those of us in the US about our 107 knowledge, huh? :)

Also need to let people know who keeps the license for using (and where) their photos up front - I know your legit, just making some suggestions for people interested in entering such contests...

Good ideas.

No I dont actually work for the FAA, but Im a member of the AARP.

hey- if there’s just an “honorable mention” for non-107 entrants, does that work per the requirements?
Why??
There's no reason recreational pilots couldn't enter a photo contest even if there was a large cash prize.

Hmmm I didnt see the angle of winning a contest as compensation, but it is, isnt it?
There's a tendency for some people to take this idea much further than the FAA ever intended.
Where the FAA came from was real planes and they tried to make drones fit their systems developed over 80 years.
The FAA wants a higher standard for commercial aviation than recreational and that's how they started the idea that you need more than recreational qualifications to engage in commercial use.
Originally the FAA wanted a real plane licence to use a $1000 dollar drone to take real estate photos.
That was pretty silly when it was quite legal to take photos as a recreational flyer but not to sell them.
Eventually things became more sane when they brought in the Part 107 process.

The FAA are in the aviation safety business, not the who can sell photos business.
The illegal act they care about is unlicensed commercial flight.

Taking a photo on a recreational flight last month and entering it in a contest this month and winning (even a large prize) does not make last month's flight retrospectively illegal.
To follow that line of reasoning, would just the winner be guilty or all entrants even though they got no prize?
How does any of that affect aviation safety?

No. Entering a photo contest is not flying for compensation or reward.
It does not constitute commercial work and it's stupid to twist things to see it that way.

Per recommendation, any images submitted would remain the property of the photographers and I wouldn't be claiming any rights to use them, except for the purpose of judging them for contest purposes.

Reactions: AMann
Dont call it stupid, its probably going to be one of the wrong answers on the next 107 test about which constitutes a commercial use of drones, along with accepting doughnuts for photos, which will be the right answer.
Entering a photo you've taken in the past to a contest is not commercial use.
It really, really isn't.

Go to the FAA and search for their explanation of recreational use and you get this:

What is the definition of recreational or hobby use of a UAS?
Recreational or hobby UAS use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire. In the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the FAA relied on the ordinary, dictionary definition of these terms. UAS use for hobby is a "pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." UAS use for recreation is "refreshment of strength and spirits after work; a means of refreshment or diversion."

You would have to apply a very warped perspective to suggest that to enter photos legally taken during recreational flights in the past in a photo contest is an example of flying for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire.

Given the competition is being run through a thread here why not let the community judge? Image with most likes takes the prize? It’s simple enough.....

Even if people vote for their own photo they can only do it once.

Just a suggestion.

Given the competition is being run through a thread here why not let the community judge? Image with most likes takes the prize? It’s simple enough.....

Even if people vote for their own photo they can only do it once.

Just a suggestion.

Good suggestion. I was thinking maybe let the judges pick the top 6, and then let the community pick the winner. After the judges pick the top 6, we could do a poll and let the community pick the winner.

Thoughts?

Good suggestion. I was thinking maybe let the judges pick the top 6, and then let the community pick the winner. After the judges pick the top 6, we could do a poll and let the community pick the winner.

Thoughts?
That sounds good.... The only issue that may arise is if the judges final decision seems to be significantly out of alignment with the community vote.

That sounds good.... The only issue that may arise is if the judges final decision seems to be significantly out of alignment with the community vote.

We were thinking of letting all contestants put their entries in a thread designed specifically for posting their entries. No comments, no voting, just entries. That will allow all members to view all the entries, but allow the judges to pick the top 6. Of course, there might be some dissent if a member thinks one of the entries should have been selected for the top six and wasnt, but thats how most contests work. Maybe the sponsors could select the top 6, and then allow the members to select the winner via a poll thread after all the entries have been submitted.

We were thinking of letting all contestants put their entries in a thread designed specifically for posting their entries. No comments, no voting, just entries. That will allow all members to view all the entries, but allow the judges to pick the top 6. Of course, there might be some dissent if a member thinks one of the entries should have been selected for the top six and wasnt, but thats how most contests work. Maybe the sponsors could select the top 6, and then allow the members to select the winner via a poll thread after all the entries have been submitted.
Seems like a great plan....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krautz