DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photo Editing

-MavicMiniPilot

Reactions
In a recent flight across the skyway in Florida I took these photos and want to print them out. Does anyone know how to edit them in photos photo to polish them up? Any work would be appreciated! I am going to frame the first photo.DJI_0892.jpeg

Attachments

• DJI_0891.jpeg
    DJI_0891.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 77
  • DJI_0880.jpeg
    DJI_0880.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 72
I Started Printing about a year ago, so here is the main take away.

You might want to Rent the Adobe Light Room Software , this is a must for those printing and the reason is that what you see on the computer is not what your always going to print.

Thus you need something that is going to allow you to make quick changes on the Print so they look good when Printed especially blacks .

Just to give an example the Printer may just prints almost all black without you seeing any details of the clouds even though you see them on the computer screen, and this is where being able to adjust the sky and blacks can help you.

As someone who shoots mainly in the Dark , these type of prints require a little exta TLC from the Editing Software.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water , Capture the Storm.

Last edited:
Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
In a recent flight across the skyway in Florida I took these photos and want to print them out. Does anyone know how to edit them in photos photo to polish them up? Any work would be appreciated! I am going to frame the first photo.View attachment 171246
Hey Mavicmini,

Nice photo. To help answer your question of polishing up a photo, I know it’s a money thing for a lot of folks and I get it. But if you’re serious about cleaning up pictures, it may be worth checking into Lightroom Classic subscription and then Topaz Photo AI. (I also use Topaz Video AI to manipulate videos, upscale, stabilize, etc. amazing stuff). You may say no because It’s a couple hundred bucks but once you use it, you will Really like it. I’ll launch Lightroom and do some color correction, there’s auto and manual, lots of stuff to add effects, then LrC has a direct link to Topaz Photo AI that you can run auto or manual to sharpen, deblur, etc. All this said, there is only so much you can do with a photo that’s not really that good in the first place. So, try and always do your very very best with the settings of your camera (drone in this case) and you will have even better results when cleaning up a picture in post. Good luck…

You may want to look into purchasing Luminar 4 it’s great software and it’s only a one time purchase. I think it was around $50 and it has a whole Lotta features AI included cause I just can’t see doing the monthly payments too much for me.

Unless you will be regularly printing your photos, my advice would be to find a print service that will both edit and print the photo you want to get framed.

I have a friend who prints professionally and is good enough that overseas photographers commission him to print their work for exhibitions. Getting a good print is a skill, and not one you're going to master the first time.

You'll need, in addition to a good printer, a calibrated monitor, a computer set up in a room with subdued lighting and neutral colours, editing software that allows for on-screen proofing and has profiles for the printer and paper you will be using, and the willingness to spend money making multiple test prints while learning.

Hey Mavicmini,

Nice photo. To help answer your question of polishing up a photo, I know it’s a money thing for a lot of folks and I get it. But if you’re serious about cleaning up pictures, it may be worth checking into Lightroom Classic subscription and then Topaz Photo AI. (I also use Topaz Video AI to manipulate videos, upscale, stabilize, etc. amazing stuff). You may say no because It’s a couple hundred bucks but once you use it, you will Really like it. I’ll launch Lightroom and do some color correction, there’s auto and manual, lots of stuff to add effects, then LrC has a direct link to Topaz Photo AI that you can run auto or manual to sharpen, deblur, etc. All this said, there is only so much you can do with a photo that’s not really that good in the first place. So, try and always do your very very best with the settings of your camera (drone in this case) and you will have even better results when cleaning up a picture in post. Good luck…
I use the Topaz Photo AI on just about every photo I take and definitely on night-time shots. It is a game changer.

Two clicks. Unlimited adjustment possible in Topaz. One click in Camera Raw - auto. One click in Topaz AI. This may not be what you are looking for, but its tough to beat for speed and quality.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Yes Topaz or look at ON1 RAW, an excellent buy it and own it editing software at a reasonable price with tons of Youtube help videos.

In a recent flight across the skyway in Florida I took these photos and want to print them out. Does anyone know how to edit them in photos photo to polish them up? Any work would be appreciated! I am going to frame the first photo.View attachment 171246
I cleaned these up for you... I’m not sure how to post them here. If you send an email to [email protected]
I can send them to you that way.

Two clicks. Unlimited adjustment possible in Topaz. One click in Camera Raw - auto. One click in Topaz AI. This may not be what you are looking for, but its tough to beat for speed and quality.

Jim,
Thanks for putting that through Topaz. I’m out of town and away from my Mac and was going to do the same & see what I could get from the original upload from the OP. Looks good, it was a bit of a tough pic from the get go to work with but you did it well, thanks. One last comment and it’s pro/con but Topaz is awesome for pushing updates out and the subscription based Lightroom is always the best. It does cost a few bucks but in the grand scheme of things, for me, it’s totally worth it. Between GoPro, Sony gear and drone, I get a great media mix to produce memory movies of family and friend events, trips etc via Final Cut. Lightroom and Topaz just are wonderful options to make the post that much better.

Totally agree with Jet Skier above. I have Luminar 4 and it is great plus as he says there is no subscription required. I don’t do enough photo editing to warrant one of the more complex suites and frankly there’s not a lot wrong with Apple’s Photos that is of course free with any of their products that store your photos. You may want to get more into the editing game and there are numerous products out there. Great shot by the way.

I edited this image in Photoshop 2024, first using the MASKING tool to separately edit the sky, and then the foreground. (file>open in Camera RAW>Masking). I isolated the sky, and increased the exposure a bit. then isolated the foreground and increased the shadows and exposure. Lastly, I submitted the entire image to TopZ de noise. Here are the before and after edited images.

DaleMiamiUn-edited.jpgEdited.jpg

Thank you everyone who helped me with this. It’s probably a bit darker than I like but it’s for a bedroom in my house so it works out. I got these printed from Sam’s club and shipped through fedex. IMG_0091.jpeg

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
As i noted to you in my post above ,, the first couple prints I did as well turned out way to dark, so learning to print is yet another facet that needs some skill an seasoning but it did not turn out to bad.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

It’s probably a bit darker than I like
Prints will look darker than the photo appears on your screen. Reflected light versus a light source. Some apps have on-screen proofing, but to really use it you need a calibrated monitor (not to mention profiles for the paper and printer you will be using).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne