DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photographing Lightining with the Mavic Air 2?

Josiah S

Reactions
Howdy. I was wondering if someone could please give me the full runaround on how to take pictures of lighting at dusk/dark with the Mavic Air 2. I attempted it tonight and I will tell you what I got. I positioned the drone about 20ft above me. I had an nd16 lense on. I had my ISO at 100, and shutter speed at 8 sec. (The longest you can do) I noticed that the drone does not hover near as good with no obstacle avoidance, but that should not effect the lightning cause it is far away. Whilst the camera was shooting the 8 sec. long exposure, almost everytime I would see lots of lightning going on in the cameras frame. Taking the drone down at 10 percent i was very excited to see the results. Not a single photo that i can make out any lightning at all. Please if someone could help me learn how to do this the right way and the professional way. Thanks very much. By the way, the photo below I distinctly remember several large lightning bursts will the camera was shooting.

Attachments

• Photo_6619422_DJI_286_jpg_3464459_0_202163185514_photo_original.jpg
    Photo_6619422_DJI_286_jpg_3464459_0_202163185514_photo_original.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 36
Does this make it lower quality though? You can get better low light stills than videos.

Your photo is under exposed, a lot. I would remove the ND filter as it shouldn't be required in dusk/dark conditions, also, iso 100 may have been to low.

Does this make it lower quality though? You can get better low light stills than videos.
Fact is it is like winning the lottery or at least getting 5 out of 6 of the numbers of pulling the trigger at the right time for a still with lightening. I take a lot of storm shots and if i am hunting for lighting with my air 2 i shoot in 4k 60 fps and just scan around or sit it in a spot that will look cool if it happens. Then go back and pull the still out of the video as others have mentioned.

Here is one of mine albeit the HDR on it is a bit blown out from the edit.

Attachments

• lighting_strike_1.7.3-01.jpeg
    lighting_strike_1.7.3-01.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Reactions: JayTea26
Your photo is under exposed, a lot. I would remove the ND filter as it shouldn't be required in dusk/dark conditions, also, iso 100 may have been to low.
Ok. I will try it tonight ahain if there is lightning which there should be...

Howdy. I was wondering if someone could please give me the full runaround on how to take pictures of lighting at dusk/dark with the Mavic Air 2. I attempted it tonight and I will tell you what I got. I positioned the drone about 20ft above me. I had an nd16 lense on. I had my ISO at 100, and shutter speed at 8 sec. (The longest you can do) I noticed that the drone does not hover near as good with no obstacle avoidance, but that should not effect the lightning cause it is far away. Whilst the camera was shooting the 8 sec. long exposure, almost everytime I would see lots of lightning going on in the cameras frame. Taking the drone down at 10 percent i was very excited to see the results. Not a single photo that i can make out any lightning at all. Please if someone could help me learn how to do this the right way and the professional way. Thanks very much. By the way, the photo below I distinctly remember several large lightning bursts will the camera was shooting.
you do mean rundown, not runaround?

I tried it again last night and got a bit better results. I will be doing it every night that I can because it is pretty fun and I would like to get good results. The settings for this shot were iso 1600 or maybe 3200 i cant remember...Shutter 8 sec. I forgot and left an nd4 filter on it and never noticed so I probably could have got better results if I wouldnt of forgotten. Anyway at least I am getting better results.DJI_0374 (2).JPG

ND filters aren't doing any good in this situation, that's not what they are for. Leave them off, you'll get a better picture.

Yes I know, I had forgotten it was on. I will make sure I never leave it on from now on...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929