DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photos 180° Pano (Great color & contrast) vs any other (nothing special)

Van Denton

Reactions
I am a new user and am curious. I have taken Regular pictures, Smart photos, Pano 180 and Wide. I have noticed when I take a Pano 180, the image is amazing. When I take any other image, it is darker and just does not pop the same. Why is the 180° so amazing and the others so ordinary? Is there any way to get the other pictures to automatically come out like the Pano 180? Notice the difference in the attached photos. The Pano 180 has such great color. The Pano Wide is dark and shows less detail. All I did is switch between them. Why do they both not have the same color and detail?

Attachments

• Pano 180.jpg
    Pano 180.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Pano Wide.jpg
    Pano Wide.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
The pano 180 obviously is more processed. May be it's done to compensate for the brightness difference across component pictures. How about shooting pano 180 and crop ?

I am a new user and am curious. I have taken Regular pictures, Smart photos, Pano 180 and Wide. I have noticed when I take a Pano 180, the image is amazing. When I take any other image, it is darker and just does not pop the same. Why is the 180° so amazing and the others so ordinary? Is there any way to get the other pictures to automatically come out like the Pano 180? Notice the difference in the attached photos. The Pano 180 has such great color. The Pano Wide is dark and shows less detail. All I did is switch between them. Why do they both not have the same color and detail?

I really cannot be sure but I'll take a stab at an answer. In most cases, when photographing a horizon, it is best to shoot away from the sun. The brightness of the sky compared to the foreground, overpowers the sensor and the sensor reads the sky for its major light reading, thus under-exposing the foreground. This requires some adjustment with a gradient tool in post. With a pano, I believe that the sensor is reading every part of the image, including the relatively darker foreground. The gimbal, in its excursions covers the ground areas.

See my attachment that I posted on an earlier forum dealing with this problem. (Photoshop. Adobe Camera Raw) to open the darkness and shadows in a foreground. You need to scroll to see entire image. Gradient filter in Photoshop for dark foreground.jpgGradient filter in Photoshop for dark foreground.jpg

The processing tries to fit everything within the dynamic range, which is extremely high here. You could minimize the issue by stitching the RAW files in PtGui and optimizing exposure during that process (one menu gives this opportunity).

The processing tries to fit everything within the dynamic range, which is extremely high here. You could minimize the issue by stitching the RAW files in PtGui and optimizing exposure during that process (one menu gives this opportunity).

PTGui Software personal license for two computers is $146 USD. Just checked it out. At my age, I worry about buying a dozen eggs.

Heres what I think happened. When you took the Wide shot, the camera took its first exposure with a majority of the sun and sky in the shot, therefore the image has to be underexposed so the sky doesn't get washed out. It then kept those settings thus underexposing the ground. A camera on auto will do this. I bet you, if you try the a 180 and a wide not looking at the sun, you will get much better results.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet