DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Picture questions! Please help!

Mavicrpo8808

Reactions
1. So today I went out for a flight. I took 4 pictures near the end of it. For some reason those pictures did not save to my phone. However when I went though the DJI GO 4 app the pictures are in the flight log. However I cant find them anywhere on my phone or anywhere else on the app. It is not giving me any option to extract the photos. I did get a new phone, however the other photos and videos did appear on my phone.

2. I am learning how to use the ND filters on my Mavic 2 pro. Today was a super bright day so I went with ND16. When I first took the pictures on my phone the pictures looked super stunning and beautiful. When I got home the pictures showed up sorta grainy and with not much definition. As soon as you zoom in the pictures were awful. Could this because The filter I used wasn't letting in enough sun light? Or perhaps because my SD card is not fast enough? Before using filters the pictures were super sharp even when I zoomed in.

Any help is appreciated thanks!!!

1. So today I went out for a flight. I took 4 pictures near the end of it. For some reason those pictures did not save to my phone. However when I went though the DJI GO 4 app the pictures are in the flight log. However I cant find them anywhere on my phone or anywhere else on the app. It is not giving me any option to extract the photos. I did get a new phone, however the other photos and videos did appear on my phone.

2. I am learning how to use the ND filters on my Mavic 2 pro. Today was a super bright day so I went with ND16. When I first took the pictures on my phone the pictures looked super stunning and beautiful. When I got home the pictures showed up sorta grainy and with not much definition. As soon as you zoom in the pictures were awful. Could this because The filter I used wasn't letting in enough sun light? Or perhaps because my SD card is not fast enough? Before using filters the pictures were super sharp even when I zoomed in.

Any help is appreciated thanks!!!
1. There’s a setting in DJI Go 4 that’s to the effect of “save high quality photos to mobile device” or something like that.

2. ND filter are primarily for video not for photos. ND filters are used to slow your shutter speed to introduce motion blur. On top of that they are another piece of glass in front of your sensor which can only hurt not help sharpness. I’d recommend not using the ND filters for photos unless your intent is to increase motion blur.

Reactions: JimSteadman
The place to find your real image files is on the SD card
Your ND16 filter cuts out 94% of the light and leaves only 6% to record your image.
That leaves your camera in the dark trying to give good exposure.
It sounds like it's had to increase the ISO and shutter speed to make up for low light level.
Increasing ISO will always increase graininess and longer shutter speeds means blurred images..

Your camera can easily handle tight levels on a sunny day.
The shutter speed goes up to 1/8000th of a second.
There's no reason attempt to manage exposure by using ND filters.
And there's no need to use ND filters for drone stills, unless you have a particular reason to force a slower shutter speed.

Post one of the original, full-sized images and we can read the metadata to show you exactly what settings the camera has used to compensate for the ND filter cutting the light level.

Hey thank you so much team I super appreciate it. Ill post the pictures shortly. I had no idea that the ND filters were primarily for video only that is great info!

Here are the 2 pics from today!
Those aren't original full-sized images from the camera.
They are tiny 660 x 640 preview size images and don't have any metadata.
Your original images would be 4000 x 3000 (or larger depending on which drone)

I never use them for video either unless I know I will be making fast motion changes very close to an object. Strobing only happens under those conditions. Flying high over the countryside, as many flights are, never meet those conditions.

ND filters, by definition, never change color, and are useless much of the time. I have been taking pictures for 60 years, and only used ND filters when photographing flowing water to get the feathery white image of the water.

The same is not true for polarizers, which I frequently use to improve color in the presence of speculative reflections.

Reactions: EricJT
On a drone the ND filter for taking stills is rather useless, as has been stated. With a DSLR though on a tripod on the ground, the ND filter can be a very useful filter, however you need to understand how and why you would need to use it.

Reactions: dozzn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121