DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PINK BALLOONS - WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

Someone that has absolutely no comprehension of wind direction and it’s effects on moving objects.

we have just seen a new form of drone defence, but only if the drone is downwind still you cant have everything

We call this a Self Correcting Problem . . . .

This is a good illustration of why you should not fly close under something like a leafy branch that can flex and get sucked down, or something solid like a ceiling that will cause the quad to get sucked up to it. It may be why so many under-bridge excursions end with the quad raising up and hitting the bridge.

EDIT: Watching the video again (and again, and again, ...) it is most likely that the strings got wound in the props which accounts for the sudden downward motion of the balloons, instead of being sucked in by the prop downdraft. My above comments are still valid (my MP sucked itself to a ceiling) but the suction effect is minimal over a foot away.

Last edited:
This is a good illustration of why you should not fly close under something like a leafy branch that can flex and get sucked down, or something solid like a ceiling that will cause the quad to get sucked up to it. It may be why so many under-bridge excursions end with the quad raising up and hitting the bridge.

It’s like ground effect but the opposite process lol

Reactions: AMann
I always hated balloons being released. Often wondered what would be the outcome if aircraft would run into them. It couldn't be good.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Often wondered what would be the outcome if aircraft would run into them. It couldn't be good.

Great point! Releasing of Balloons will need Part 108-B, section 3.2.1 and Authorization by the FAA. Safety measures need to be in place because of engine failure due to rubber/string being sucked into the engines, yea can't be good! Next birthday you better have that 110-B or release those balloons 5 miles away from the nearest airport! Next time a non certified 108-B does this I'm going straight to the Cop'pers!

Reactions: Donnie Frank
More worried about the use of helium in the balloons and the resultant depletion of this important gas. Helium is mined from underground reserves and used extensively in super conductors and medical equipment and should not be squandered on balloons. Once it escapes it cannot be recovered.

That was fun

It's hard to reconcile how a drone could be taken down so easily by a series of mishaps with a collection of pink balloons, and yet this same drone is capable of wreaking havoc in the nations air space.

So is it safe to assume you believe that a sUAS couldn't do any damage to a manned aircraft?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+