DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pix4D mapping for Mavic 3 Pro

I know the pix4d software can’t be ran with the M3P but the Pix4d software website says it can take the pictures taken and still create an orthomosaic. Has anyone tried this?
Any mapping software can create an orthomosaic from the images.
That's the easy part.
The trick is in flying a precise grid with consistent overlaps of 70% or more.
You could roughly do that flying manually for a small area ... say 5 acres or less.
But for serious mapping, you need a dedicated app to plan, fly and capture the images properly.
Here's a screenshot of the image positions for a small map of about 20 acres.
It required 84 images.
i-jLkXW9X-L.jpg

Any mapping software can create an orthomosaic from the images.
That's the easy part.
The trick is in flying a precise grid with consistent overlaps of 70% or more.
You could roughly do that flying manually for a small area ... say 5 acres or less.
But for serious mapping, you need a dedicated app to plan, fly and capture the images properly.
Here's a screenshot of the image positions for a small map of about 20 acres.
It required 84 images.
i-jLkXW9X-L.jpg
Thank you for that! Most of my requests have been 10 acres or less. I wish i would have kept my Mavic 2 pro now for mapping purposes

Thank you for that! Most of my requests have been 10 acres or less. I wish i would have kept my Mavic 2 pro now for mapping purposes
This is an example of the kind of overlap required - 70% front and side overlap.
It's very hard to do achieve that manually.
i-4SZg6gq-X4.jpg

what type of people ask you to do mapping jobs? what kind of data or product do they expect from you after you perform a mapping sequence? I own an enterprise 3 w RTK. I wish I could make a few dollars here and there. but how?

what type of people ask you to do mapping jobs? what kind of data or product do they expect from you after you perform a mapping sequence? I own an enterprise 3 w RTK. I wish I could make a few dollars here and there. but how?
It could be property owners, farmers or developers.
An orthophoto mosaic (a big composite photo map) is the standard product.
Adding property boundaries or contour lines might be asked for too.
I worked on an interesting project working on extensions for a golf course.
Finding the customers is the hard part.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveR43
It could be property owners, farmers or developers.
An orthophoto mosaic (a big composite photo map) is the standard product.
Addingd property boundaries or contour lines might be asked for too.
I worked on an interesting project working on extensions for a golf course.
Finding the customers is the hard part.
I have a question. After making a 2d or 3d reproduction, how is the property boundary data entered? What does it entail? Is there a state database to get the data and how is this data overlayed on the orthomosaic. Is there special software. I'm using DJI Terra.

I have a question. After making a 2d or 3d reproduction, how is the property boundary data entered? What does it entail? Is there a state database to get the data and how is this data overlayed on the orthomosaic. Is there special software. I'm using DJI Terra.
I do it in Photoshop.
There are lots of official sources for boundary data.
Where to find yours would depend on where you are based.

Last edited:
I'm with Meta. I also use Photoshop to draw property lines on a large 2D composite map after all of the stitching is done. I use Image Composite Editor to stitch the photos together.
Most state/county governments have interactive GIS maps of property ownership.
One thing to keep in mind, the property lines are an approximation of the actual ownership lines.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada