DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pixelated , serious

Jam0ne

Reactions
This is probably the 5th to 7th time my phones screen got suddenly PIXELATED and sometimes freezes for up-to 30 seconds and unable to control the drone

The PROBLEM is NOT our PHONES,
I have seen many Youtube videos by "Pro" and "amateur" alike, experiencing this, even with "expensive" phones..

This is ridiculous DJI
it's a Software issue, not a "Phone" type issue.
Google searches results shows this has been happening for years :mad:

This is just one of the times i've screen-recorded this "event"

I went to a different park, onto a field over 50-feet away from street/traffic or buildings, and still happens

Other peoples experience below,

Question for the "community"

Is it "safe" AND "possible" to revert to previous App Versions ?
This didn't happen in the beginning when i first purchased the drone, i have done "Updates" when prompted by the DJI FLY APP, so i'm feeling it's after one of the updates that this "problem" began.

When i first experience this "issue" back in May or June, i just thought it was my phone, or "interference", so i brushed it off ,
but when it happened again in CLEAR areas, and on OTHER PHONE, i feel it's the SOFTWARE.

What version is best DJI FLY ?

I'm going to lose Gimbal control during RTH ?
I'm going to lose On Screen Zoom Slider ?

Last edited:
I have tried a few things, none seem to fix the "issue":
Clear CACHE
Change CACHE size from 16Gb down to 8Gb, down to 2Gb and still this happens.
Change Phone

Phone has over 25Gb free space.
*currently on App version 1.4.8

I have tried a few things, none seem to fix the "issue":
Clear CACHE
Change CACHE size from 16Gb down to 8Gb, down to 2Gb and still this happens.
Change Phone

Phone has over 25Gb free space.
*currently on App version 1.4.8
Unless I missed it, you don't say what drone you are flying. I see that your screen grab shows 2.7k p30. Might it be a Mini 1?

I ask because this could be an issue of bandwidth between the drone and controller. The Mini 1 doesn't use Occusync like the Mini 2 and others. The pathway could be less robust.

Since the pixelation is across the entire screen it could be bit starvation due to low bandwidth. If it was a video encode/decode issue due to scene complexity it would only occur in that area, not the whole screen.

Next time this occurs try leaving the camera focused on the same scene but bring the drone in closer to the controller. If the video on your screen improves that would point towards the drone/controller connection.

You could also try a phone on a different platform. Apple instead of Android or vice versa. Or try it on a phone less than a year old to see if it could be processor speed.

Sorry about all the guesses, and might be's. Keep us posted on any updates/solutions.

Good luck...

Unless I missed it, you don't say what drone you are flying. I see that your screen grab shows 2.7k p30. Might it be a Mini 1?

I ask because this could be an issue of bandwidth between the drone and controller. The Mini 1 doesn't use Occusync like the Mini 2 and others. The pathway could be less robust.

Since the pixelation is across the entire screen it could be bit starvation due to low bandwidth. If it was a video encode/decode issue due to scene complexity it would only occur in that area, not the whole screen.

Next time this occurs try leaving the camera focused on the same scene but bring the drone in closer to the controller. If the video on your screen improves that would point towards the drone/controller connection.

You could also try a phone on a different platform. Apple instead of Android or vice versa. Or try it on a phone less than a year old to see if it could be processor speed.

Sorry about all the guesses, and might be's. Keep us posted on any updates/solutions.

Good luck...
Hi

It's the Mini 2...

Sometimes the saturation seems to be sectioned into 3 parts, and the MIDDLE of the screen is the only section "moving", while the left and right sections are FROZEN.

You said "" Next time this occurs try leaving the camera focused on the same scene but bring the drone in closer to the controller. If the video on your screen improves that would point towards the drone/controller connection.""

This has happened also with the drone 20 feet away from the controller.. (will check to see if i have recording of this )

There's "many" complaints on here, and on Youtube about this happening, unfortunately many people don't list what Phone/OS they are using. I'm on Android, so not sure if its just with Androids or if people with iPhones are experiencing this issue also.

My phones used/tested are May 2020 release, and February 2021 release, they worked FINE when i installed DJI Fly earlier in the year, and, from reading "complains" on here, many others started experiencing this after "updates" , i've also found posts where this was happening in early 2020 with Mini 1... so...

Hi

It's the Mini 2...

Sometimes the saturation seems to be sectioned into 3 parts, and the MIDDLE of the screen is the only section "moving", while the left and right sections are FROZEN.

You said "" Next time this occurs try leaving the camera focused on the same scene but bring the drone in closer to the controller. If the video on your screen improves that would point towards the drone/controller connection.""

This has happened also with the drone 20 feet away from the controller.. (will check to see if i have recording of this )

There's "many" complaints on here, and on Youtube about this happening, unfortunately many people don't list what Phone/OS they are using. I'm on Android, so not sure if its just with Androids or if people with iPhones are experiencing this issue also.

My phones used/tested are May 2020 release, and February 2021 release, they worked FINE when i installed DJI Fly earlier in the year, and, from reading "complains" on here, many others started experiencing this after "updates" , i've also found posts where this was happening in early 2020 with Mini 1... so...
You may have already done this but, if not, try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. You've been pretty thorough so you may have already gone down that path.

I also have a Mini 2 but haven't seen this behavior, personally. All firmware and apps are at current releases. The one major thing that is different is my phone. I regularly use an iPhone 8 Plus but have also used an iPhone 6 and an iPad. Wondering if others who have seen this are exclusive to Android or if it is also seen on iOS.

This is a tough one.

Reactions: Jam0ne
You may have already done this but, if not, try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. You've been pretty thorough so you may have already gone down that path.

This is a tough one.

When time, and weather, permits, I will reinstall App v1.4.8 on one phone
and App v1.1.1 on the other phone.. and see which App version still has the "issue"

* some says going back to v1.1.1 they no longer get those "pixelated" issues,
but, the older App version may NOT have the ON SCREEN CAMERA ZOOM Control, or the Gimbal Control during RTH...

May I humbly suggest that when people post issues like this one that they include all the parameters involved, which may make it much easier for members to try and troubleshoot.
Which Aircraft and firmware installed.
Controller firmware installed
DJIGo4 or DJIFly app version
What phone/tablet/Controller
environment (ie line of sight "diminished" by the forest, or tall buildings,etc).

In this case, I am wondering about the computing power of the unknown phones mentioned. The newer AC and apps are requiring more and more powerful phones/tablets, and some of the phone processor power may also be diminished because of the screen recording using processor power. Also whether any apps are running in the background, same issue.

Silly question, what SD cards do you have in the drone and your phone?

Are you seeing this behavior on multiple drones? It looks like it could be an issue with the compression on the AC's end. The video is compressed by the AC for transmission to the controller, and if that chip is messing up, you're getting a corrupted video feed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie