DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pixelation or distortion on the display when flying.

Thealien

Reactions
I have a 1 week old mavic Pro 2 zoom.

My video recording stored in the Drone is fine. I have a brand new 2018 iPad 9.7. even just sitting close to the Drone not even flying I'm getting pixelation on the iPad screen on the DJI Go app. It is looks like it's even refreshing the screen you can watch the lines go by. but as I said if I do video playback after taking it from the SD card and downloading it to that tablet it plays fine but my video transmission is pixelated. is this something that is needed to be fixed or is a lot of people experiencing that. I see a lot of recorded images on YouTube and none of those look pixelated?

I am using a cable from the full size USB to the Ipad 9.7 2018. I have tried using a cable from the micro also and or using wifi and its the same. Every now and then its not there but most of the time it is as I said even when I am very close? Same Ipad with the spark, no problems. I would hate to send it in for repairs but I think I have read others with this issue? I have even tried swapping from HD to normal in the settings? I have 5 bars on the HD signal also. And in case anyone is wondering this is my memory and I tested to make sure it wasn't fake, it tests out the the correct size but as I said the video recording is fine.

IMG_20181003_164245329.jpg

There are so many causes of pixelation and it is rarely anything that will be fixed by sending it to DJI. Since you confirm that the recording is clear then it is a problem getting the feed to your tablet or your tablet cannot process the signal properly.

Here are a few things you can do. Try using a different cable, free up available memory, close all other apps, fly in airplane mode, turn off caching to tablet, reduce the record resolution, inspect and clean the port on the tablet, if using the RC USB port make sure to unplug the short cable from the side of the RC, update iOS, remove and reinstall Go 4, try a different Go 4 version, install Go 4 on a different device.

Once you do get it working then turn off auto-updating on your tablet. It is more rare for iDevices but background updates have caused these type of problems.

Thank you very much for the reply. I have tried 3 cables including the apple one that came with the tablet, no difference. I basically use the new 2018 Ipad 9.7 just for flying, I bought it just for this purpose. I make sure nothing else is running. Since I don't use a phone the short cable is removed from the side and I only use that port for charging, although I did try using that port with no changes (micro on side to tablet like my spark controller). I did update to the latest IOS 12 with no difference. I have uninstalled and re installed the Go app a few times!

I noticed today if I close the app and re open it clears up, for a while? I am pretty sure it is not the tablet as it plays the 4K recorded video perfectly. I "think it is either a video transmission or receiver issue as it happens sitting 5 feet away on the ground with 5 bars controller and 5 bars HD signal? I am stumped and frustrated at my $1500 toy!

Thanks again for trying!

Reactions: digiteye
Yes, it can be frustrating. But when you do get it working correctly it sure is a blast.

One thing I did not mention is that I have fixed pixelation by switching camera modes back and forth. It forces Go 4 to redraw the screen.

I have read I am not the only one having this issue (or something similar). Maybe it will be addressed in a future firmware update? I'll try switching camera modes. Would be quicker than exiting and re opening the app? Do you mean from camera to video or?

With the nice runtime you have time to hover for a while and play with settings while hovering and looking at different subjects for picture or video settings.

My video recording stored in the Drone is fine. I have a brand new 2018 iPad 9.7. even just sitting close to the Drone not even flying I'm getting pixelation on the iPad screen on the DJI Go app. It is looks like it's even refreshing the screen you can watch the lines go by

Not sure exactly what you mean by "watch the lines go by" but I also have the M2Z and using it with an iPad Mini 3 and I notice the normal type of blocky pixelation you get when starting to lose live video signal. It looked the same when I flew my P3 Pro with Lightbridge.

But I'm also noticing a weird, slow-moving type of motion pixelation --- sort of like hovering directly over a big lawn and looking straight down and seeing a mower move from left to right. It's a slow type of pixelation movement that creates a horizontal band about 3/4 inch height and takes about 5 seconds for it to move from left edge to right edge of the screen.

I notice this weird pixelation even when the M2Z is only 3000 feet away with minimal obstructions, so I don't think it's a weak OcuSync signal. It will probably get fixed in a future update --- at least I hope so.

With my zoom I can notice it with it sitting 5 feet from the controller. It doesn’t do it all the time but it does it most of the time. I also don’t think I’m getting the distance I should. I had a great deal and picked up a maverick 2 Pro Yesterday and I just got everything all updated and activated And I’m not seeing any of the pixelation using the same cables the same tablet and everything else the same except the pro instead of the zoom?

When I noticed it sometimes it’s blotchy pixelation and other times it’s like it’s refreshing the screen going from left to right and then it goes lower left to right and then I lower left to right.

I’m going to send an email to DJI explaining this and see what they have to say!

After a few emails and a screen shot video DJI requested i return for repair. I will update on return of aircraft.

With my zoom I can notice it with it sitting 5 feet from the controller. It doesn’t do it all the time but it does it most of the time. I also don’t think I’m getting the distance I should. I had a great deal and picked up a maverick 2 Pro Yesterday and I just got everything all updated and activated And I’m not seeing any of the pixelation using the same cables the same tablet and everything else the same except the pro instead of the zoom?

When I noticed it sometimes it’s blotchy pixelation and other times it’s like it’s refreshing the screen going from left to right and then it goes lower left to right and then I lower left to right.

I’m going to send an email to DJI explaining this and see what they have to say!
That's interesting. I have the Zoom and the same problem as well. Even at zero distance the pixelation shows with the same symptoms, as in the screen seems to update the image line by line, yet the refreshed lines look bad, too.
What worked for me is this:
Without touching the controller and tablet (it's android btw, so the issue isn't iPad related) I restart the drone. Then it works well most of the time. Quite frustrating though.

After a few emails and a screen shot video DJI requested i return for repair. I will update on return of aircraft.
Err... Having exact same problem, should I do the same? Please let me know details in private message.

similar to this? you can skip to 0:25 second beginning doesn’t show much.

similar to this? you can skip to 0:25 second beginning doesn’t show much...]
Your video looks like standard Go 4 pixelation issues. I get that on occasion with my MP and can clear it up by switching the camera from video to photo and back. You can also try:
• Turn off caching to your display
• Fly in airplane mode
• Turn off all other apps
• Free up memory on your display device
• Lower the resolution of your video
• Use a higher quality USB connection cable
• Upgrade or downgrade Go 4

Your video looks like standard Go 4 pixelation issues. I get that on occasion with my MP and can clear it up by switching the camera from video to photo and back. You can also try:
• Turn off caching to your display
• Fly in airplane mode
• Turn off all other apps
• Free up memory on your display device
• Lower the resolution of your video
• Use a higher quality USB connection cable
• Upgrade or downgrade Go 4
The funny thing about that is I own both a Pro 2 and a zoom. I use the same cables the same tablet the same location the same firmware the same DJI go 4 app in the zoom had pixelation and the Pro 2 does not!

there are plenty of YouTube videos out there with people showing their screenshots without all the pixelation?

at first I too thought it was normal until I acquired the Pro 2 and found out it was not.

The funny thing about that is I own both a Pro 2 and a zoom. I use the same cables the same tablet the same location the same firmware the same DJI go 4 app in the zoom had pixelation and the Pro 2 does not!

there are plenty of YouTube videos out there with people showing their screenshots without all the pixelation?

at first I too thought it was normal until I acquired the Pro 2 and found out it was not.
It could be the growing pains of the M2 series and Go 4. The M2P and M2Z have different camera functions within Go 4 so DJI might not be finished tweaking it for your display device. Hopefully, they will fix your problem in a Go 4 update.

I think DJI should split off Go 4 with a different version for each series. It would help with software bloat and allow them to fine-tune the program to work with a specific model.

Reactions: Shakey Jake
It could be the growing pains of the M2 series and Go 4. The M2P and M2Z have different camera functions within Go 4 so DJI might not be finished tweaking it for your display device. Hopefully, they will fix your problem in a Go 4 update.

I think DJI should split off Go 4 with a different version for each series. It would help with software bloat and allow them to fine-tune the program to work with a specific model.

all I know is when I sent them the screenshot video showing that pixelation they sent me a shipping tag and asked me to return it for repairs.

I received a message from DJI that my aircraft has been fixed under warranty. I will report back when it is in my hands and tested!

I received a message from DJI that my aircraft has been fixed under warranty. I will report back when it is in my hands and tested!

Please report back. Did you get a replacement aircraft? New serial number? How’s the live video feed?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111