DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Places to fly In Edinburgh?

wheresmydrone

Reactions
Hi all,
I just arrived in Edinburgh and will be here for the next 4 days. Can anyone from the area or has been in the area offer any advice on where to fly my Mavic Air an d any local rules I should be aware of?

I’ve done some research on the forums for Edinburgh, and it seems the place where I can possible fly is in Carlton Hill and at Arthur’s Seat. I’m aware of the drone code rules from the UK and will be following them the best I can, but I f eel like I need some additional tips and guidelines as to not offend the locales.

I appreciate any timely advice. Thanks everyone.

I don't live in Edinburgh anymore but I did and I still work here.

1. Get the NATS (National Air Traffic Control) "Drone Assist" app for your phone.
2. You've got a big problem with Edinburgh Airport. Pretty much the whole of Edinburgh is Class D regulated airspace. You've got to go as far as Musselburgh to the East or Grangemouth to the North-West to get out of that.
3. Be careful flying close to Holyrood Palace - just to the north of Arthur's Seat - it is a Royal Palace.
4. Calton Hill is pretty much a no - you are unlikely to be less than 150m of crowds and built up areas (which are banned from overflight - 150m being more than the 120m max altitude.)

Reactions: wheresmydrone
I don't live in Edinburgh anymore but I did and I still work here.

1. Get the NATS (National Air Traffic Control) "Drone Assist" app for your phone.
2. You've got a big problem with Edinburgh Airport. Pretty much the whole of Edinburgh is Class D regulated airspace. You've got to go as far as Musselburgh to the East or Grangemouth to the North-West to get out of that.
3. Be careful flying close to Holyrood Palace - just to the north of Arthur's Seat - it is a Royal Palace.
4. Calton Hill is pretty much a no - you are unlikely to be less than 150m of crowds and built up areas (which are banned from overflight - 150m being more than the 120m max altitude.)

Idrach, thanks for the reply. I’ll be sure to check where is the royal palace before flying from Arthur’s Seat.