DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Places to safely fly in Pensacola

Reactions
I am a rookie, just need to know where I can fly and hone my skills in the Pensacol area, and maybe start some local discussions. I just received my Mini 2, cant wait to try it out but I don't want to hurt anyone, anything, or break the drone. All suggestions are very much appreciated, salute!

I am a rookie, just need to know where I can fly and hone my skills in the Pensacol area, and maybe start some local discussions. I just received my Mini 2, cant wait to try it out but I don't want to hurt anyone, anything, or break the drone. All suggestions are very much appreciated, salute!

Download the B4YOUFLY app. It's the FAA's app for drone pilots to check on airspace restrictions. You can scan around the area and quickly find places that are definitely off limits to drones and places that get the green light. The area around Pensacola and to the east has many military installations and operations that you'll need to avoid. And the Gulf Islands National Seashore is off limits too.

Be sure to get your TRUST certificate, too. It's required for all non-toy drones. It's free, quick, educational and failure-free,

Reactions: Dbez1 and 4006448
Thank, I will use youe suggestions and see if can master that app, salute
Here's another good resource. The Pilot Institute is a flight training company that participates in this forum. They offer some excellent online drone training, much of it without charge. There's an intro course devoted exclusively to flying the Mini 2 that would probably be a good one for you. Also, have a look at the Recreational Drone Flying Made Easy course for a great rundown on regulations and good operating practices.

Check into their free drone registration number stickers, too.

Have fun with that Mini 2. It's a wonderful drone. It sounds like you're taking a wise approach at learning to operate it.

One last bit of been-there-done-that advice. Keep it in Cine mode and be careful not to hit anything while flying sideways to shoot video. My significant other visual observer saved me from doing that a couple of times soon after I'd gotten my Mini.

Great, I have signed up for the free mini courses, also would it be worth to get the prop guards that are offered for this machine?
When I bought the Mini a couple of years ago, prop guards came with it. I think they were a great benefit when I was learning, from the standpoint of safety, less worry about damage, and a little more confidence.

Best wishes and have fun with your Mini. You’ve got some great advice in this thread. Be careful around Pensacola, we just got back from that general area and there’s a lot of no fly zones.

Excellent area to fly. I spend winters in Pensacola; western part; Perdido Key area. It's close to the Naval Air Station, but far enough away that B4UFLY allows me to fly up to 200'. Many airfields around Pensacola. That app is golden! So many waterways to fly over and around. I started with flying at a soccer field there. Watch out for Ospreys flying around. Those birds don't like drones this time of year...mating season. Military aircraft fly along the beach well below 500'. Mostly helos, but some C-130's, big planes. Some at 150' just off the beach. Some civilian small planes/helos. Military jets fly higher there. Enjoy the area!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78