DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Planning a risky flight and have some questions.

flightmike

Reactions
Some of the adventure is finding good filming places that are legal.

There is an old closed down steel girder bridge I really want to film. Only thing around is 2 heliports within approximately 4 miles. One is a hospital and the other is a police precinct.

Closest place with permission to take off to where I want to film is appropriately 3700 feet away which is ok. Spooky part is it's all over a large river and to get there I'll have to fly over 6 lane active non girder bridge. I figure fly 300-400 feet up in sport mode and should be ok.

My concern is to get the shot I want I will have the active non girder bridge and the girder bridge in between the Mavic and remote. I know I can stay high up and will probably be fine but I want to get lower and closer to the girder bridge for the shots.

Can some experienced piloted give me some tips or should I abandon this idea?

Ps. Have State Farm insurance but don't want to use it. Lol

Like these
IMG_8778.jpg IMG_5609.JPG
On my mini and can't find more pictures of em but I fly under,over and just all around them with no issues

Another question is did you ask that old bride if she allows you to film her

I'm sure the old girl would be proud to be on camera again. She's did play a part a 1980 John Carpenter movie "Escape from New York". She's been closed to cars since 1968 and doesn't get much attention any more.

Reactions: Domagoj
I've never had issues. at the beginning of this clip, I'm on the right side of the bridge while the mavic is flying on the left of the bridge until I cross over the bridge.

Instagram post by EMG STUDIOS • Mar 26, 2017 at 7:32pm UTC

That is exactly what I was wondering with all the steel would it interfere with reception.

I just can't get any closer than about 3000 feet to take off from. I would feel a lot better if I could take off from right next to it.
Thanks.

Like these
View attachment 14479 View attachment 14480
On my mini and can't find more pictures of em but I fly under,over and just all around them with no issues

Nice pics. I found a pic on line of the bridge.

The arrow on the right shows the only place I can get permission to take off from. The rest is private property. There is a couple parking areas closer but too dangerous to leave my vehicle parked.

bf6fa8e3e161624e48a6423fb4a6db3d.jpg

I'm not going to rush into this and there may be a better location with more investigation.
Thanks

Reactions: dirkclod
Nice pics. I found a pic on line of the bridge.

The arrow on the right shows the only place I can get permission to take off from. The rest is private property. There is a couple parking areas closer but too dangerous to leave my vehicle parked.

The Mavic should be able to get there with no problem. I don't see any issues with interference from the steel. I have some footage near the Ben Franklin Bridge that I just shot this weekend that is much bigger than the bridge that example was shot near and I was able to fly the entire span (and further), with no issues.

You have the correct mindset; don't do anything until you're completely comfortable.

Do it from a boat. That is the easiest thing to do then you don't need anyone's permission to take off.

Water and currents are too rough for a boat and don't have one.

Only one hobby at a time. Lol

Thanks for the reassurance DodgeP.
Leaving for Florida in am so will have to be after that.

I guess I'm failing to see the problem. Airspace restrictions exist a mile around the airports at ground level, then are shaped like an inverted cone going up. You say these heliports are 4miles out...so what's the issue? Even then, are these heliports actual running places with names and FAA identifiers, or just simply a landing pad on top or next to a building?

What's preventing you from launching from the now dead end road at either end of this out of service bridge? Obviously if you don't go excessively far from it towards any aircraft operations this all becomes a non issue.

Roads are blocked and and you would have to park on the side of a busy road. Plus vandalism is high. Not a good area to park let alone stand around for an hour. I value my belongings and my life.
Not worried about heliports was thinking about interference from metal bridge and the distance. Just planning it all out is all.
I'll get here. Just thinking of and exploring areas whenever I go somewhere.

I just jumped from one hobby to this one. So far my Mavic hasn't broke any bones...or the bank. I was just taking too long to heal and don't need new knees before my time. LOL

MC Racing - Copy.jpg

You can do this just fine. Just tonight I was flying very close to an old factory was about 8,000 feet out. To get some shots I wanted I was within 15 feet of the structure (according to Obstacle Avoidance). Just be careful when you're descending and moving around. Get to a level, take lots of time to pan around and look all around to make sure you see any obstacles. Get your shots and then move on. I'd LOVE to get shots of that bridge.

I love finding things like that to film. I'm headed to Manhattan with the Mavic on Sunday and excited to get some sunrise/sunset shots of the city skyline. I've got some fun shots planned of the Brooklyn Bridge too. Hopefully schedule allows it...otherwise I'll have to wait for next month (make business trips out there ~once a month).

I'm leaving for Florida today on family trip so it will have to wait until I get back. I will be taking it with me and will try to find someplace there for sure. May have to drive a bit to get away from NFZ.

I went through my flight records last night and the farthest distance away I've flown is 6900 feet. I did some measuring on google and looks like I'll only need to go max 4000 feet distance or so to get some good shots of is bridge. Will just have to consider weather and all.

I've only had MP since end of April and I have 170 miles or so under my belt but they haven't been that adventurist.

Thanks for the encouragement all. Look forward to posting video later.

I would plan an initial test flight using Litchi Waypoints , setting my altitude and distance from the bridge itself fairly reasonable . If it lost signal it would still complete the mission and head back . You could edit the mission getting closer or fly the next yourself if everything looked good . I would be primarily concerned about compass interference around all that steel though .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beechpilot