DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Planning drone flights

Nick T

Reactions
Hi, I'm quite new to drone flying & have a Mavic 2 zoom using DJI Go 4 app. I've seen on the forum a post on using Google earth to plan flight missions using the Litchi app which looks great. I tried to download Drone Hub flight planner from Google but the page appears to have been removed. Does anyone know if it's possible to use Google earth in a similar way to plan missions on the DJI GO 4 app, or any other method to pre plan a flight prior to take off.
Thanks guys

Welcome to the forum. Greetings from San Diego.

The Go 4 app does not have a way of planning a flight. It sounds like you need the litchi app. Have you given it consideration? I realize it’s mentioned in your post, but still not clear.

If by "planning a flight" without being connected to the AC (offline), then correct, Go can't do that. But you can plan missions with Go without actually flying. That's where those moderately swollen batteries come in handy.

Many thanks guys. I'll research the pro's & con's of the apps. All advice appreciated. I'm still on the learning curve & getting there slowly

Reactions: rcookie
As long as we are kinda on the subject, is there anything like this on the DJI Fly app with the MA2?

You can use, Litchi, Dronelink,

I thought Litchi doesn’t work (as of yet) with MA2.
Hopefully in the future, though some prior info from DJI wasn’t promising.

Don‘t know about Dronelink.

Another possibility is Maven, but their app reportedly requires communication with controller.

I thought Litchi doesn’t work (as of yet) with MA2.
Hopefully in the future, though some prior info from DJI wasn’t promising.

Don‘t know about Dronelink.

Another possibility is Maven, but their app reportedly requires communication with controller.
Dronelink is really good. Sometimes I use it even more than Litchi because Dronelink has Facade, Litchi does not.
Don't get me wrong, Litchi is a great product.

I have no idea why the second post says that there is no way in the Go4App to plan a flight.

Before setting out.
I pre-plan flights on Google Earth just using the measure tool to plot the route.

I then use WayPoints in the Go4App on an iPad to replicate the points, plot POI's and set instructions.

You can edit previous flights and/or create new ones.

No need for fancy software unless you are more experienced and begin to exceed the capability of WayPoints.

Last edited:
Neither Litchi nor Dronelink currently support the MA2, but with the SDK having been recently released by DJI, I would expect support from both companies soon. Dronelink was a little quicker to add support for the Mini after that model's SDK was released.

Neither Litchi nor Dronelink currently support the MA2, but with the SDK having been recently released by DJI, I would expect support from both companies soon. Dronelink was a little quicker to add support for the Mini after that model's SDK was released.
And how much do these apps cost if they do get to supporting the MA2?

Dronelink is now compatible with MA2, but is in Beta testing.

Dronelink is really good. Sometimes I use it even more than Litchi because Dronelink has Facade, Litchi does not.
Don't get me wrong, Litchi is a great product.
I’ve read some posts claiming MA2 doesn’t support waypoints, only virtual sticks.

As I understand the difference, is that with virtual sticks the flight plan is stored in controller rather than the drone, and if drone losses communication with controller, it will RTH rather than completing the pre-planned flight.

For some flyers used to Litchi waypoints, this is a big disappointment (if true).

Reactions: zeusfl
I’ve read some posts claiming MA2 doesn’t support waypoints, only virtual sticks.

As I understand the difference, is that with virtual sticks the flight plan is stored in controller rather than the drone, and if drone losses communication with controller, it will RTH rather than completing the pre-planned flight.

For some flyers used to Litchi waypoints, this is a big disappointment (if true).
And how do you go about doing the virtual sticks?

And how do you go about doing the virtual sticks?
I think “virtual sticks” is a term used to describe a method of RC controlling the drone without the human moving the RC sticks. ”Virtual sticks” seemingly different than waypoints.

With waypoints, flight plan is stored in drone and continuous communication with RC not required for drone to complete the flight plan. With “virtual stick” method, flight plan is stored in RC, and RC commands drone where to go.

Not sure this is correct, just how I currently understand it. I’m new also.

Reactions: Kyle76
You understand correctly, except the app does the control through the RC, rather than the RC itself. A fine point, I admit.

Reactions: fullbore
Thx DanMan for that. So the DL app resides in the phone or tablet rather than in the RC. While most users probably don’t care how a function is performed, they do want pre-planned flight to be completed even if communication with RC is lost.

I think “virtual sticks” is a term used to describe a method of RC controlling the drone without the human moving the RC sticks. ”Virtual sticks” seemingly different than waypoints.

With waypoints, flight plan is stored in drone and continuous communication with RC not required for drone to complete the flight plan. With “virtual stick” method, flight plan is stored in RC, and RC commands drone where to go.

Not sure this is correct, just how I currently understand it. I’m new also.
You are correct. Basically Dronelink or Litchi is moving the sticks of the RC for you, at that point the drone think you are the one doing it. Having that says, if the RC communication is lost, the drone will be dumb and will initially RTH if is configured without be able to complete the missions because does not know what to do.

In the case of the M2P, when you do a mission, all the movements are stored on the drone and the drone do not depend from the RC to complete the mission (waypoints) and have the ability to finish and RTH if desired.

In my opinion with everything is happening with the national security in the US, i guess that is the reason why DJI is not going to do this anymore. I hope I am wrong, but if you think about it, this method can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Reactions: fullbore
Start with Litchi. Easy. Then, if you still want... try Dronelink. It took 1 week for me to stay with Litchi. Litchi provides 'autonomous' flights. Dronelink does not!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1