DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Planning waypoints

Arnt

Reactions
Say I am preplanning a route of waypoint and when I am at the location and starting the flight it turns out that some of the waypoints are out of reach for the rc. Will the flight be completed or will it be cancelled and return to home?

Which drone? That matters because anything using the Fly app will RTH on loss of signal (or whatever your signal loss settings are)

The drone knows the mission plan so the connection to the controller is not needed, as long as it has a gps lock there’s no problem. Once the mission has started it should execute even if the RC out of range

Last edited:
Reactions: TrailWhale
"The drone" knows the mission plan so the connection to the controller is not needed, as long as it has a gps lock there’s no problem. Once the mission has started it should execute even if the RC out of range
It depends on which drone is being used.

Using my Phantom 3 Pro (P3P) with the Litchi app, there is a configuration toggle to let you choose whether the drone will continue its mission even if the control signal is lost, rather than executing its normal signal lost failsafe routine.

But my first generation Mavic Mini will not continue a mission beyond control signal range.

The difference is that the P3P stores its programmed waypoints onboard and thus is capable of continuing its mission without a continuous controller signal, whereas the Mavic Mini has no such onboard storage capability.

With the Mini the programmed waypoints are stored within the app, with the drone remotely steered from one waypoint to the next by the app. When control signal is lost, the Mini will abort the mission and perform its configured failsafe procedure.

Thanks for all this feedback. My idea was to plan a route of waypoints before I go to my cabin which is 500 km away and then launch the drone (mavic 3 Classic). It might be that part of the route would be out of reach for the rc and that’s why I wondered if anyone had any experience in how the drone would behave when out of sight of the rc.

It should continue the mission, if nothing goes wrong . So make sure all the sensors are turned on. One way to test it is to do a short range low level route and turn off the controller , and see if it continues this may work

Reactions: Arnt
I depends on your loss of signal settings in the waypoint missions general settings. The default Is RTH. In that case, if you lose signal, it will RTH. I always change mine to continue. It that case it will finish the mission.

It depends on which drone is being used.

Using my Phantom 3 Pro (P3P) with the Litchi app, there is a configuration toggle to let you choose whether the drone will continue its mission even if the control signal is lost, rather than executing its normal signal lost failsafe routine.

But my first generation Mavic Mini will not continue a mission beyond control signal range.

The difference is that the P3P stores its programmed waypoints onboard and thus is capable of continuing its mission without a continuous controller signal, whereas the Mavic Mini has no such onboard storage capability.

With the Mini the programmed waypoints are stored within the app, with the drone remotely steered from one waypoint to the next by the app. When control signal is lost, the Mini will abort the mission and perform its configured failsafe procedure.
This right here is my understanding.

He just joined mavic pilots Thursday, so he obviously has a mavic 3. What do you think, he's stupid?
I don't see where he has posted that he has a Mavic 3, is that the only model available right now?

It should continue the mission, if nothing goes wrong . So make sure all the sensors are turned on. One way to test it is to do a short range low level route and turn off the controller , and see if it continues this may work
Please bother to read what @Zbip57 wrote in this post in response to you.

It depends on which drone model is being used. Lower tier models (A2S, Mini3P, etc.) that have SDK support use a control method called "Virtual Stick", where the mission is being flown by the DJI Fly (or Litchi, etc.) app, and requires a connection continuously with the aircraft. Loss of signal will result in RTH. In fact, the drone itself has no "knowledge" (so to speak) it's flying autonomously.

The Mavic 3 series has on-board waypoint execution, flies the mission itself, and can continue the mission if disconnected.

Reactions: Arnt and Zbip57
My point is, any intelligent person is going to buy a mavic 3. By far the best consumer drone.
Well then...I'm obviously too stupid to hang with you.

Reactions: shb and mobilehomer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scott911