DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Platinum first impressions

Brojon

Reactions
I was pleased to see that DJI has re-evaluated their packaging.
The old Fly More had retail boxes for *everything* and made for a large package.
The MPP fly more on the other hand is a single box with everything sans packaging.
All the manuals are bundled together. The Mavic bag is used to contain the remote and both chargers.
An odd thing was the MPP had only 2 platinum rotors installed on the rear arms - so underneath. Inside the front pocket of the bag there was a cardboard sleeve with the remaining rotors all lined up in opposing order. Under the MPP were the two extra batteries. I think they may have removed the top rotors to avoid marring the body with the paint from the rotor tips. I noticed my MP had gold rub marks on the battery and top sides after a few days in the backpack. As many people have noted the clearance is less with the new rotors and they will rub when folded against the body. So if you're **** about marks you'll want to remove the front rotors when putting away.
Right off the bat it swears it needs a firmware upgrade - it came with 1.40. So I have to charge the remote and I used one of the MP batteries to run an upgrade. WTH? It showed the same version afterwards. No idea what that was all about. By this time it was dark out but surprisingly it said it had a GPS lock right there in my bedroom. So I fired it up. A vastly different sound than the MP running the new props. A low moan while it sat there. It was very stable as I raised it up to about 4 feet and steered around the room. My wife even remarked at how much quieter it was and the dog seemed ok with it. That's significant because he *hates* the MP and tries to eat it when it flies over.
The gimbal seemed much more stable to me - my old MP used to flail about smacking into the frame on initialization. The little song it plays seems a little rougher in tone and a little off on some notes. LOL - just reporting what I observed.
Lemme tell you what - it worked a wonder to stir up the cat fur - I told my wife she needed to check the vacuum cleaner for proper operation.
No rain today so I'll get to take her out on a real flight when I get home.

That was a very nice, descriptive missive on the reception of your precious Mavic Pro Platinum. I wish I could've been so eloquent. It is fun to participate in this forum as we can share our enthusiasm, experiences, problems and solutions in this fun hobby. For me the attraction to this drone is its portability while still keeping its quality intact. I carry it around in its little single sling shoulder pack ready to go up when I have the urge. I can tell you there are some fun uses. For instance, I live in a rural area. Our cow guy has called me occasionally to go check on some cows or see if a gate was closed, or if hay was gone, etc. How handy the MPP is. I just launch and fly directly to those places to check, even send to him a photo from the cache in my phone. After a heavy rain I can also fly a mile to see if our creek is over the bridge. So have fun in your own way. Fly in sport mode to get there faster if you stay high.

That's pretty awesome that you have found a way to use your Mavic to improve neighborly relations.
Kudos!

Glad it's not just my MPP that has the odd boot-up jingle. It was out of tune and pitch. I only turned it on my dining table to personalize my settings and check the camera. I didn't dare fly it inside as I don't have any experience flying in ATTI mode. The weird thing is the drone and RC have different FWs. I'm gonna fly it first this weekend before doing any updates. I've seen videos how smooth the motors are when first started, so I'm looking forward to seeing that.

I got the drone and RC only package and it's exactly like what my MP came in a year ago.

Glad it's not just my MPP that has the odd boot-up jingle. It was out of tune and pitch. I only turned it on my dining table to personalize my settings and check the camera. I didn't dare fly it inside as I don't have any experience flying in ATTI mode. The weird thing is the drone and RC have different FWs. I'm gonna fly it first this weekend before doing any updates. I've seen videos how smooth the motors are when first started, so I'm looking forward to seeing that.

I got the drone and RC only package and it's exactly like what my MP came in a year ago.
Aha! That makes perfect sense why the drone version didn't change - it must have been the remote since it did mention a mismatch.
Mine actually had a GPS lock so it wasn't ATTI - lol I ain't that brave!
That little off-tune jingle bugs me a more than a little since I have pretty good ear for pitch - plus it sounds a bit "buzzy" low it's low bitrate or something.

Oh - and if you start the motors with the sticks it won't actually take off.

LOL....the out of tune jingle is bugging me, too. I've gotten so used to my old MP booting up I find it soothing before takeoff. If it flies like my old MP I will probably hold off on updating until there's also a new FW for the aircraft itself.

I actually don't use the app anymore to start the motors or land it once I learned how to do it manually with the sticks last year. I also get a good GPS lock in my dining room, but there's no way I'm going to trust that it's going to stay locked. I've got my little Bebops to fly inside should I have the hankering, but I'm just not brave enough to do that with either of my MPs.

Brojon, I took mine for a few flights this weekend (about 15 miles worth of flying). Just about everything seem fine. I even took it to some distance already (just beyond 2km). I updated the FW before its first flight as it was bugging me that the drone and RC had different FWs.

The only problem I have is it drifts (rotate) slightly either left or right when hovering. A little annoying when I'm lining it up for photos, though it doesn't seem to affect the image quality. I've calibrated the compass several times as someone has suggested. I've tweaked the gimbal settings, etc. It's still there. It will also drift slightly when you're supposed to be flying straightforward. Any suggestions or ideas on how to fix this?

Brojon, I took mine for a few flights this weekend (about 15 miles worth of flying). Just about everything seem fine. I even took it to some distance already (just beyond 2km). I updated the FW before its first flight as it was bugging me that the drone and RC had different FWs.

The only problem I have is it drifts (rotate) slightly either left or right when hovering. A little annoying when I'm lining it up for photos, though it doesn't seem to affect the image quality. I've calibrated the compass several times as someone has suggested. I've tweaked the gimbal settings, etc. It's still there. It will also drift slightly when you're supposed to be flying straightforward. Any suggestions or ideas on how to fix this?

I have heard others quote Joystick calibration as a possible cure for that kind of thing.

Hope that helps. :)

I have heard others quote Joystick calibration as a possible cure for that kind of thing.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks. I forgot to mention I've tried that several times already.

I've never even had to do that to my year old Mavic. I only calibrated the compass for it when it was new before I learned it's not necessary unless the app tells you. I wonder if an IMU calibration would fix it. Another thing I've never done on a Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters