DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Platinum props - are they worse in the wind?

black_magic100

Reactions
I saw somebody on youtube mention that these props may not perform as well in windy conditions. Does anybody know if this is true or not? They are only $20 so I understand their is nothing to lose, but I want to make sure that when I take it over the ocean I am using the best props.

Some folks are directing their conspiracy theory tendencies towards the new props.
I've heard that being more flexible they can hit the aircraft body in wind gusts.
I flew mine in 15 mph gusts and no sign of anything like that. I like 'em.

Reactions: Dragonfly
I have the regular mavic and I just got the platinum props and I was flying last weekend in very heavy winds. I wish I had done a little bit better of a test, but didn't think of it until my battery was too low. The original test I was trying to do was test the sound difference of original props vs platinum props. I'd seen the videos with the sound comparisons with the sound meter but wanted to see the difference in real life. I didn't really hear a significant difference. I tried flying straight up and was going to stop at a height when I couldn't hear it at all. I could hear original props just slightly still at 400 ft. And I could just barely still hear the platinum ones at 400 feet too. But it was extremely windy, the windy fly with caution error never went away. Flying with the platinum props it was so windy that flying in sport mode at some points it was barely moving forward, and then I got an error I'd never seen before. Sometimes the wind would gust and the tablet would say something like, "braking now, center all sticks to resume." (now that I've googled that error, it may be a calibration issue and not at all due to the wind or new props) The platinum props seem to be a slightly different pitch and they are a little wider, so its possible they grab more air to be more efficient, and in doing so are possibly more likely to have the wind affect them, but I have no proof because I didn't change back to the original props to see if I was getting the same issue or not.

I live in the mountains outside of Boulder Colorado where we can get some seriously high winds. My Mavic Pro with Mavic Pro propellers can always come home no matter the wind. It might get a bit exhilarating when I'm fighting the wind in fear of losing my little Mavic Pro (DW thinks that's half the fun for me) but I always get it home.

I tried the new Platinum propellers and the wind kicked up, but no more than it usually does. It dragged the drone 3/4 mile in the opposite direction over a mountain, and in the mountains 3/4 mile might mean the difference between retrievable and lost. Pushing the throttle forward and watching the drone go backwards was a little too exciting, even for me.

With the battery power falling rapidly and the drone going backwards I hit RTH and hoped for the best. It managed to get itself home, or close enough that the crash only chipped the props, with about 6% battery left. Phew! I'm sticking with the intended props from now on.

I live in Colorado Springs and it can get windy here. I added the Platinum props to my MP and I can't tell a difference. They sound different and maybe to my ear a little more quiet but that's subjective. I don't notice any performance differences in windy or calm flying conditions. Just my two cents.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun