DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please help turn off settings to land in back of a boat

All good advice. Set RTH for hover, not homepoint. Practice landings while still on the trailer or tied to the dock. Stay safe, have fun.

Reactions: lunarkingdom
Hey guys, first post and I really need some help with turning off every sensor so I can land in the back of my boat when at anchor. I almost lost my drone trying this as it will not let me land in the best part of the boat which is the rear of the boat. The sensors start beeping and not only will it not come under the awning it starts to rise as soon as I start to come in from the rear. My question is what settings do I need to disable to get the mavic 2 pro to do what I want not what it wants to do? The rear of my boat is huge, approx 9x11 feet I just need to get past the transom and through the poles on either side without it trying to back off because of the sensors. Anyone have experience with this? What settings did you change to get it to land correctly?

Attachments

• Obstacle Avoidance Disable.jpg
    Obstacle Avoidance Disable.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 36
Tom, how do I decipher this? Looks like a guide to turn on obstacle avoidance? Do I use it to navigate to the settings and turn them off or? Can you elaborate please?

Tom, how do I decipher this? Looks like a guide to turn on obstacle avoidance? Do I use it to navigate to the settings and turn them off or? Can you elaborate please?

Well, on upper right of your remote controller, you click the 3-dot settings thing (it's actually called an ellipsis), then, on the left of that settings box, you touch the Visual Navigation Setting icon, and then simply enable or disable (the obstacle avoidance sensors).

Hand catch. When dropping to your hand, make sure it’s camera is facing away. Then pull the elevator until it drops & stops. Takes some practice but fairly easy even in a stiff breeze

Hand catch. When dropping to your hand, make sure it’s camera is facing away. Then pull the elevator until it drops & stops. Takes some practice but fairly easy even in a stiff breeze

DON'T pull elevator (right stick) for it to drop!!

Pull throttle (left stick) instead ;)

Edit: throttle is always aircraft going up and down, elevator is nose up and nose down and thereby aircraft going back and forth.
By default throttle is de LEFT stick forth/back/up/down and elevator is the RIGHT stick forth/back/up/down. This stick mode is also referred to as MODE 2 and is the industry standard nowadays.
Another option is MODE 1 were throttle and elevator are swapped. This has to be set up by the user if desired.

Last edited:
Another risk is magnetic interference when you get right down.

I have seen pro photographers use nets in rough seas. Can go through props.

Otherwise a hand catch. I have caught mine with sensors on. When you grab it the MP tries to fly away. Hold the stick down and it powers down ok. If its choppy, I would wear a glove.

Honestly so have I, the choppiness of landing on any flat surface makes it dangerous and with my bow rail it wont even come close it just starts beeping and rising back up toward the rails more than once I had to fly up quick before hitting them. Hand grabbing doesnt work either, it just rises away from me when I have tried. For me landing in the rear "tub" of the boat is best but I have to test the suggestions in this thread next time I get a chance. I will try everyones suggestions while in my slip and once I get a positive result I will try it at anchor. If anyone else has more input I would gladly read it as there is no such thing as too much information when trying to land on a rocking boat over the ocean. ;-)
Turn off landing protection. Then it won’t try to escape your hand as you reach out to catch it

Sport's mode and landing protection off would do the job then, wouldn't it? JUst remember to turn the blooming protection back on other wise there my be a whoopsie.

S-Mode means that the drone reacts strongly to the slightest movements with the joystick, so I think you make a difficult situation worse, difficult enough in P-Mode. T-Mode if the boat is stationary otherwise it is P-Mode that applies.

This is a marvellous piece of filming done by a Mavic 2 Pro from a motor launch ... It's very interesting to see their recovery technique which uses a large net (4:40).
Very effective and pretty fool-proof!

This is a marvellous piece of filming done by a Mavic 2 Pro from a motor launch ... It's very interesting to see their recovery technique which uses a large net (4:40).
Very effective and pretty fool-proof!

I can’t believe it, I literally came here to post the same crew doing the same thing in a different video! Haha. (5:25)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka