DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

POI below home point

jerry2032

Reactions
So I guess the 5m minimum POI altitude is for safety but what if your POI is below you?

What would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I haven't tried this but swiping left gives you an option to set the home point to the aircrafts current location. Could you fly far enough below the point of interest, set the aircrafts home point the that location, perform the POI mode flight steps and flight, then set to home point to the remote's location to autopilot the Mavic back?

I know you are using DJI Go, but If you use Litchi you define the location of the POI by tapping on the map, then enter the height of the POI relative to take off and this figure can be negative. Then the gimbal will face down to point at your POI. Unless you fly down to its lever!

Its safer than having to fly right over the POI to set the position, or down to its level. Say you want to film a small event - you can't fly over the stage or anywhere near all the people. But you could define the POI on the map and let the Mavic circle round a safe distance away never coming near but still pointing at the subject.

Also, when using Litchi POI - you can plot the required radius on the map and can see if your chosen path brings you near any tall objects (like trees round a church tower!)

Excellent. Just the advice I was looking for. Thank you!

My pleasure.

Another advantage of the Litchi method is you don't waste valuable battery time setting up your POI shot. You can sit with your bird powered on but on the ground while you set everything up only taking off once you're happy.

I use both DJI Go and Litchi, swapping mid flight sometimes. Each have their relative good points, just use whichever is best for the shot you have planned.

Waypoint planned missions are fantastic for this sot of thing too.

Reactions: jerry2032
I know you are using DJI Go, but If you use Litchi you define the location of the POI by tapping on the map, then enter the height of the POI relative to take off and this figure can be negative. Then the gimbal will face down to point at your POI. Unless you fly down to its lever!

Its safer than having to fly right over the POI to set the position, or down to its level. Say you want to film a small event - you can't fly over the stage or anywhere near all the people. But you could define the POI on the map and let the Mavic circle round a safe distance away never coming near but still pointing at the subject.

Also, when using Litchi POI - you can plot the required radius on the map and can see if your chosen path brings you near any tall objects (like trees round a church tower!)

Perhaps they updated the app to disallow that now because I tried using orbit in Litchi and it would not go below 16 ft.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

So to answer my own post I figured out a way to do a POI below point of takeoff. It's not exactly equivalent but here's how.

1) Fly over the center of the POI and swipe left and set the home point the the aircrafts location.

2) change the flight mode to Home Lock and press forward to move a distance away from the POI and drop to the altitude you need.

3) Pulling the right stick to the left or right bottom corner will cause the drone to circle around the POI.

You have to control the yaw and camera angle as you circle but that's pretty easy.

Just don't forget to reset the home point to the remote control location when you're done.

Worked in simulator. It was raining today or else I would have tried it live.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennismavicair1