DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Point Of Interest mode question - stick input

Rick0504N

Reactions
Am I crazy, or is the diagram that comes up when setting up POI mode incorrect when it shows stick input once you are using that mode?

So, I tried POI yesterday for the first time. From my backyard, I was the target, and set my radius and altitude and tapped “Start”

At that point, a diagram of Stick Input comes up on DJI app that states that you move LEFT stick up to increase RADIUS and move RIGHT stick up to increase THROTTLE.

My RC is set for Mode 2 , which is opposite of what the screen shows as described above. Therefore, when I am in POI mode and want to increase altitude, I move the Left stick up —not the Right stick as the POI diagram states.

If the controller defaults to Mode 2 (which is the mode I use), then why would the DJI app not also default to Mode 2 stick input on the diagram when using POI?

No mention of stick imputs in the manual for POI on page 27. Perhaps its a new feature implemented in an update ... not implemented correctly?

IMG_5973.JPG

Here’s a screenshot of what comes up in the app. As you can see, it is not what actually happens when you are in Mode 2.

Reactions: Tone
You may be crazy. I know I am.

What do you mean by that?
I mean that if POI ignores the Mode 2 setting, and right stick up/down = throttles up/down, than that is what the drone is going to do in POI mode. So use right stick up/down to throttle up/down.
With POI mode, the drone behaves differently, so you need to modify the way you control the drone.

Reactions: MacPhersonCa1
I've used the POI function with my Mavic several times and it works just as you would expect from Mode 2: Left stick = up/down & right stick = increase/decrease radius. Will have to check next time to see if the instructions on the app screen are wrong.

I've used the POI function with my Mavic several times and it works just as you would expect from Mode 2: Left stick = up/down & right stick = increase/decrease radius. Will have to check next time to see if the instructions on the app screen are wrong.
Yes, that is what I meant in my initial post. The stick input instructions on the app when using POI appears to be incorrect (if you fly in Mode 2)

I mean that if POI ignores the Mode 2 setting, and right stick up/down = throttles up/down, than that is what the drone is going to do in POI mode. So use right stick up/down to throttle up/down.
With POI mode, the drone behaves differently, so you need to modify the way you control the drone.

Try it and let us know what happens (assuming you’re RC is set up as Mode 2)

Try it and let us know what happens (assuming you’re RC is set up as Mode 2)
I guess I should. It’s been raining lately though. I just move the joysticks a little, watch what happens, and then control based on that. The pop up appears too quickly and I didn’t pay close attention and try to remember what they were. Once you set the POI parameters and hit go, just sit back at watch. Occasionally adjust height and orientation.

I guess I should. It’s been raining lately though. I just move the joysticks a little, watch what happens, and then control based on that. The pop up appears too quickly and I didn’t pay close attention and try to remember what they were. Once you set the POI parameters and hit go, just sit back at watch. Occasionally adjust height and orientation.
I agree. I think most folks may not even look at the pop up screen, or remember what it said, and adjust altitude, etc the same way when not in POI mode. Anyway, thanks for weighing in. I think my brief time as an auditor kicked in when seeing the screen, lol. Maybe DJI will correct it some day.

OK. So I tested POI today. Normal flight is Mode 2.
When I turn on POI, the popup message is different to yours. Left/Right JS is swapped.
And the controls are orientated to AC facing the POI.
Left Stick: Up/Down = Altitude +/-; Left/Right = Yaw clockwise/anticlockwise
Right Stick: Up/Down = Radius -/+ (since AC is facing POI, up = fly towards POI -> dec radius); Left/Right = Speed +/- (since AC facing POI, Left = roll left -> increase speed in the clockwise direction, Right = roll right-> increase speed in the anticlockwise direction; center = default speed in default flight direction)

Conclusion: Controls reflect the popup message I see. Well, maybe the Yaw clockwise/anticlockwise description might be other way round, but the arrow is correct.POI Message.png .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb