DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar Pro Android App Issue?

m chaussettes

Reactions
Is anyone else out there unable to connect to weather service through the polar pro app? I keep getting an error message stating that the app is unable to connect to the weather server. Just out of the blue.

I bought a set of ND filters for my DJI Osmo Pocket, started the Polar Pro app to find the right filter for the current weather and got a server error. Removed and reinstalled the app, but no luck. No idea how to fix it.
It worked perfect some weeks ago.

Is anyone else out there unable to connect to weather service through the polar pro app? I keep getting an error message stating that the app is unable to connect to the weather server. Just out of the blue.

Mine also started doing this yesterday and is still doing it. I sent a bug issue to them.

Yeah I just downloaded the app and got the same server error message. I emailed them, see response below. Basically they know about the error and are "working on it" but gave no time frame. Does anyone have any suggestions on alternative apps that can give you suggestions on which ND filter to use for your Mavic? This app looked good in theory, but I haven't been able to use it.

"Thanks for reaching out to PolarPro Support, and our apologies for the trouble you are encountering with the weather service in our app. We have received other reports of this as well, and it looks like there is currently some back-end trouble which is causing this error to appear. Our development team is aware of the error, and for now they have requested some patience. We do not have any further updates on this specific issue just yet, though we do know an update for the app has been in the works, and more information about that should become available soon. If you have any additional questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to let us know. We'll keep an eye out for your response."

Just download the new iphone update posted 4 days ago (2-23-19) still having the same sever issues?

Does anyone have ANY suggestions for a Polar Pro alternative. I just need something to tell me which ND filter to use.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions for a Polar Pro alternative. I just need something to tell me which ND filter to use.
I assume from your post the issue is determining which filter to use. What’s wrong with the charts available for free on the PP website or the instructional videos? If you don’t want that just Google it or check your filter manufacturer’s website; possibly email them.

It appears as thought the app is working again - the server error is gone and all the weather and flight information is back up so maybe it is working for you as well now?

Regardless, the ND filter calculator part of the app always worked as the weather portion of the app would not be needed for figuring that out - nor do I think it is even possible - the weather will not tell you what settings you need to get a proper exposure. That is going to depend on where you are flying, what your base settings are (aperture, ISO) and more important, what you are filming. The proper exposure for shooting the sky is different than shooting the ground, is different than shooting in a forest, etc. so just knowing that it is "clear and sunny" is not enough information to get a proper exposure for a specific subject and without that information, you cannot know what filter to put on to get to the 180 rule.

Maybe I am wrong - I have years of experience in photography but am a complete noob in videography and the use of ND filters in video so maybe it is possible to generalize filter use through the weather and get close but I am not even sure that is what PP was claiming to be able to do. Someone yell at me if I am off base on this....

The way I use it - set the camera to Manual mode, set the the aperture (if you can, mine is fixed on the Mavic Air) ISO and frame rate you want, frame the subject and set the shutter speed to where it is properly exposed (approx EV 0.0). Then in the app, enter your frame rate, shutter speed as you just figured for proper exposure, and what filter you have on there already if any, and the calculator tells you at the top which ND filter to put on there to get it to the 180 rule range. Install the proper filter, drop your shutter speed to double your frame rate, aim at subject and check your exposure again and you should be good to go. You may need to move it a fraction of a stop to dial it in perfect but you are still in the ball park.

Hopefully this helps but again, I am new to this on the video side so if anyone sees something I missed or misunderstood, please let me know. In the end, it is a pretty standard calculation so there are plenty of other resources out there as mentioned above if this app still does not work for you.

Reactions: Thomas B
I guess what I'm looking for is a light meter for a drone. Something that will says based on the current light you need to use this type of filter. Maybe this doesn't exist or I'm coming at it wrong. Right now I feel like I'm eye-balling it. I'd like my footage to look consistant no matter the subject. Now sometime my footage looks perfectly lit other times it looks washed out and even in post O can't make it look right. Trying to figure out how to get consistently good footage that doesn't have a lot of noise around moving objects and good balance between light and dark subjects. Any suggestions or links to videos would be great.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique