DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar Pro App not working for me

56_kruiser

Reactions
I was going to experiment with ND filters today. I took it up in the air, went over to teh Polar pro app, and put in my camera settings:

• ISO 100
  • Shutter Speed 50
  • ND Filter None
The screen was almost white it was so bright. Polar Pro said I didn't need an ND filter.

Just to see if it was doing anythign at all, I told it I had a 32 ND filter on it (I didn't ), and it said I need a 32 ND filter.

So I put on a 16 and took it back up, and tested again, and it said I need a 16. Maybe that was right (pics were Ok). But it sure wasn't right the first try.

Am I missing something?

I've never understood their app.

Either that or it simply doesn't work :(

I've never understood their app.

Either that or it simply doesn't work :(

It actually did work when I first installed it. I hadn't used it for a while, maybe an update messed it up.

It worked fine for me today. The filter you need is at the top.

d6e2004b277494d1ebafd730516e72ec.jpg

The filters installed bit, is pretty much it you are starting to get overexposed or your shutter speed is drifting to high with a filter already installed, you can calculate what you need to go to.

7647dceccc266bb9e2cf35a9db2e427d.jpg

First, fyi...I am on Android, so my app is different.

I think maybe my expectations of the app are incorrect. I was thinking that it should go like this, assuming manual settings.:

• Set my settings, in this case, I set them to ISO 100, Frame Rate 30, Shutter 60, Filter None
  • Fly drone up so it could get reading of the picture
  • Let the app calculate
  • It would tell me appropriate filter
It "seemed" to work that way when I first installed, although I used automatic, and entered the settings it was using, and the calculation gave me an ND filter.

Now, following the bulleted example above, my picture is all blown out obviously needing an ND filter, but it makes no suggestions.

I find that if I change the settings to higher shutter speed, even while not hooked to the controller/drone, it will suggest a filter.

I have since read that it is trying to suggest a filter based on your settings to get you to a shutter speed to double your frame rate.

I have read that that 1/50 is good for better videos. NOt sure that's the case, but I don't know what the right steps would be to achieve that other than trial and error with ND filters.

The app is for ND filters, but all of mine are ND-PL, so I don't use the app. The reason is that, before installing the filter on my gimbal/camera lens, I hold my best-guess for the correct filter up to my eye and rotate it to get the maximum polarization, which darkens the overall image.

Once the filter is installed, I check the EV of the scene that I will be shooting. My goal is EV 0.0 to -0.3, as I always include lots of sky in my outdoor landscapes, and I want that sky to be as blue as possible -- and any white clouds that are present to not be blown out, even at the edges.

I generally always shoot in HDR mode..

Hi Everyone,

I just came across this thread and wanted to help clear up any confusion about our App that might still be present. This has definitely been a popular question and we just added some in-app info buttons on the iOS version to help explain things (an Android update is in the works as well). We also have made a new video that provides a more in-depth demonstration of how to use the App, which can be seen here.

Essentially, the Drone Filter Guide operates on the assumption you would like to shoot with your shutter speed at twice your framerate (i.e. 1/60 shutter for 30fps, 1/120 for 60fps, etc.) and makes a recommendation for a filter that will let you achieve that without overexposure. This lets you focus on getting the look you want. You don't need to enter the 2:1 ratio from the beginning - if you like the way your shot looks with the shutter at 1/1600 and fps at 60, then set things up that way. You can also set the drone to Auto and let it figure out the settings for itself. Afterward, enter those settings into our App, and it will recommend the appropriate filter to maintain that exposure with a 1/120 shutter speed.

Hopefully this helps, but don't hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected] if you'd like further information.

- Oliver from PolarPro

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llMUTTZZll