DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar pro help!

Actually what I was looking for! You answered most of my questions. Now, to get out and do some flying and experimenting to get comfortable with it. One more question though, can you find the sweet spot of the PL by just rotating it right in front of the lens or would I have to actually fit it to to the lens?
You can hold it up to your eye pointed at the general direction you are going to be shooting. Rotate and look for a darkening of the sky. Maximum effect is at 90 degrees to the light source (sun).
Be aware that when the angle changes relative to the light source it will change the effect. This is most noticeable in some panoramas or at 45+ degree angles to the sun. One side will be deeper blue than the other. Also be aware the effect can change with gimbal angle.

Reactions: breid
You can hold it up to your eye pointed at the general direction you are going to be shooting. Rotate and look for a darkening of the sky. Maximum effect is at 90 degrees to the light source (sun).
Be aware that when the angle changes relative to the light source it will change the effect. This is most noticeable in some panoramas or at 45+ degree angles to the sun. One side will be deeper blue than the other. Also be aware the effect can change with gimbal angle.

Just to make sure that I understand, when you say 90 degrees to the sun, you are standing with the sun even with your shoulders, off to the side, correct?

Yes it can - photographers use it all the time - you orient it to the position relative the sun you want it. But you have to have a position to do so otherwise you're guessing.

Here's a Hoya filter - note the triangle orientation mark.

polarizer_filter.jpg
Indeed.

The issue isn't squishy -- it's optics, physics.

If one knows the orientation of the linear polarizer, then IF THEY HAVE THE KNOWLEGE AND EXPERTISE, they can figure out where to orient the filter based on the position of the sun in the sky relative to the direction they want to shoot.

Lacking this expertise, one defaults to the current "view through the camera" method, which I have to say is rather difficult to manage without flying.

Reactions: Brojon
Just to make sure that I understand, when you say 90 degrees to the sun, you are standing with the sun even with your shoulders, off to the side, correct?
It is always going to be relative to the direction of the sun on its arc.
But at its simplest, yeah - the sun is at one of your shoulders and you're looking straight ahead.

Not trying to be tedious but a point of reference is preferable to none. Many times I want to set the filter at an angle that will provide glare cutting but minimize the effect on the sky - very desirable if shooting a panorama at an angle to the sun. Usually lining up at a 45 will do the trick.
I would think since virtually every single manufacturer of polarizers places a reference on theirs would count towards my argument but perhaps not... Anyway - I marked mine with a sharpie - if y'all don't see the value then nothing I can say will change your mind.

Glad you got it all worked out and dialed in to something that works well for you :)
Let us know if we can answer any other questions,
-Jeff from PolarPro

Reactions: breid
You can reach customer service by calling: 949-220-9395 or email: [email protected]
We will be able to get you upgraded right away,
-Jeff
I just had my Mavic in for a repair and the unit was replaced.
Now the Polar filters are not clearing on the new unit.
What are my options?

I just had my Mavic in for a repair and the unit was replaced.
Now the Polar filters are not clearing on the new unit.
What are my options?
Same as above :)
Give us a call or email so we can help you out
-Jeff from PolarPro

Thanks Polar Pro.
Called and new set on the way.
Very pleased with rapid response

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members