DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar Pro or PGYTECH VND?

MaBro

Reactions
Does anyone have any idea which VND to choose? Polar Pro or PGYTECH. I am after the one that reduce light 2-5 stops.
*Picture quality differences
*Attaching on the camera
*Are both stepless?
*Is weight affecting the gimbal?
*Anything else

Reactions: Hauptmann
Welcome to our forum to MaBro, from Hauptmann in North Texas, USA!

I don't think anyone could see much difference between Polar Pro and Pgytech, except for the price. I have Freewell, which gives me 2 VND filters (2-5 stops, and 6-9) for 50 USD. They attach easily, are marked but stepless, and don't affect the drone. Polar Pro and Pgytech and probably every other brand of VNDs are equal in those respects.

Whichever drone you have, Read the manual, and be conservative at first. Practice using "Find My Drone". Don't wait until you lose your drone before you try to learn how to find it. There is lots of cool stuff to shoot in Sweden and the rest of the EU.

We have over 100,000 members worldwide--including many in Sweden--to help you advance as a pilot and photographer. Ask for help when you need it. Share your work when you can.

Tack för att du gick med!

I use Freewell in my business. Fit and function are as expected for the price. On my ‘recreation’ drones, I use Polar Pro - no problems with that brand either.

Reactions: copterbob
I use PolarPro. Keep in mind that there are no dedicated stops and due to vibrations mine does move between different settings.?

Thank you, that was very valuable information for me. I will then go for PGYTECH and hope their VND rotates with more friction.

Thank you, that was very valuable information for me. I will then go for PGYTECH and hope their VND rotates with more friction.
Tested my Freewell VND filter today for the first time. Set ISO at 100, EV at +1, aperture at 4.0, my shutter at 1/60 then spun my VND until everything was centered. Worked fine! After two vigorous flights, VND setting hadn't moved. Plenty of friction.

Most of the filters are made of the same glass and no filter is going to be 100% color neutral especially at that price range, so you will be doing some color correction regardless. Even on my really expensive dslr nd filters I have to color correct so this is ok.

I know moment uses cheap glass and pgytech uses German SCHOTT glass which is what you want for optical glass. For $30 I don’t think you can go wrong with pgytech. Free well is a bit overpriced but they have a bigger market share and name recognition and also they are very popular with content creators/reviewers so they can charge more. I recommend pgytech over polar pro 100000%

Does anyone have any idea which VND to choose? Polar Pro or PGYTECH. I am after the one that reduce light 2-5 stops.
*Attaching on the camera
*Are both stepless?
*Anything else

Hmm. I bought the Moment VND's. They're solid and look good to me.

*Attaching on the camera
*Are both stepless?
*Anything else
Consider a brand called MOMENT ?. Lens optic(s) and mechanical setting stops are well designed...

I'm also using the Moment VND and I'm pretty happy with it (except for the issue with shooting panoramas, which applies to any filter using polarized glass).

I purchased the freewell vnd pack before seeing this useful comparison I think I did right not only for the price.

I have now tested PGYTECH VND 2-5 stops.

+ It´s easy to attach to the drone. The DJI ND that comes with Fly More is a bit stiff to put on. I feel comfortable to put the filter on or off with the drone powered on. That is not the case with DJI´s own filter.
+ It seems that it´s enough friction on the dial that selects the ND amount. It has not changed during flight.
+ Weight is not affecting the gimbal.
+ I can not see any quality loss in the picture.
+ The stops seems to corresponds correctly to actual stops in reduced light.

- There is a clear tint towards yellow. Maybe that´s because I used AWB. And maybe that´s the case with all ND-filters. I played around with it and it seems that the colours are 500K warmer than without the filter.

In the brusa69 video above it seems like the Freewell VND also has a ND zero position. That is not the case with PGYTECH.

how does the pgytech work with HDR video vis a vis the yellow tint? just want to make sure it doesnt kill that mode as I do enjoy HDR video rather than doing things in post..

Reactions: Heindrich1988
I have now tested PGYTECH VND 2-5 stops.

+ It´s easy to attach to the drone. The DJI ND that comes with Fly More is a bit stiff to put on. I feel comfortable to put the filter on or off with the drone powered on. That is not the case with DJI´s own filter.
+ It seems that it´s enough friction on the dial that selects the ND amount. It has not changed during flight.
+ Weight is not affecting the gimbal.
+ I can not see any quality loss in the picture.
+ The stops seems to corresponds correctly to actual stops in reduced light.

- There is a clear tint towards yellow. Maybe that´s because I used AWB. And maybe that´s the case with all ND-filters. I played around with it and it seems that the colours are 500K warmer than without the filter.

In the brusa69 video above it seems like the Freewell VND also has a ND zero position. That is not the case with PGYTECH.
Just ordered mine a few days ago, can you keep the filter with the gimbal cover? How many flights since you put it on? Any additional advise or observation?

He has lost the polar pro vnd that is loose and popped off during flight [emoji1787]
I lost my Polar Pro in flight today. Been on almost a year. Never checked to see if it was on tight. My bad!? Might try PGY Tech this time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw