DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar Pro Variable ND Filter = Gimbal Motor Overload?

mschaffer66

Reactions
I just purchased a Polar Pro VND filters for the MA2 off of Amazon. The drone has had no previous gimbal motor overload issues, but as soon as I went for a flight with the VND on it gave me an error. A second flight a day later had the same issue. I took off the VND and put back the stock DJI 16ND filter on and I've had 2 more flights with no issue.

I haven't put the PP VND back on yet to see if the error comes back. But has anyone else had similar issues with the PP VND...or any other VNDs on the MA2? I saw in one thread somewhere that someone had mentioned that they thought the slight weight increase could give the gimbal problems.

I should also add I just reached out to Polar Pro about the issue to see what their thoughts are. I'll report back with what I hear.

I've been using the Moment VND filter for the past month, 15-20 flights with no issue.

I've swapped between the empty frame it comes with and the ND16 quite a few times without any issues. Is there by chance anything dumb I could be doing putting this one on? I mean...it's just insert and twist a touch just like the other ones right?

I'd be curious as to the weight difference between the empty frame, DJI ND filters, and the various other manufacturers variable filters...but I don't think I have anything that could measure such a small difference.

Me too..PolarPro VND with no issues...The only time I experienced a "Gimbal Overload" was when I changed the position on the filter while the drone was powered up...It didn't like that obviously.

Me too..PolarPro VND with no issues...The only time I experienced a "Gimbal Overload" was when I changed the position on the filter while the drone was powered up...It didn't like that obviously.
Your post actually got me thinking...I did change the position on the filter, I can't remember exactly when though. However the error came about after it was up and flying for a touch though.

i always adjust the VND after powering up the drone (MA2). I obviously do it very carefully but I never got the gimbal overload message (except once actually when I forgot to take off the gimbal cover before powering up.....)

i always adjust the VND after powering up the drone (MA2). I obviously do it very carefully but I never got the gimbal overload message (except once actually when I forgot to take off the gimbal cover before powering up.....)

Usually any time I touch the gimbal I'm pretty careful. It seems so delicate...

How does your experience with M2P to relate to his experience with a MA2?

I have a theory on this because I've noticed a lot of M2P people post on MA2 topics.

Maybe people see topics over on the right hand side under "New Topics" and don't realize that they are in one forum or the other.

So, a little update. I got an email response from Polar Pro asking for more info like when it happens does it happen with other filters etc... I didn't remember exactly when it happened during my flight so I put it back on, fired up the drone and went for a flight...not one single issue. It was really windy, it was really hot, and I was flying around in sport mode like a mad man...no issue. SO I don't know what the problem is or was. I like it when things actually break or have consistent problems...intermittent things suck. I plan on messing with it some more though.

When I did have the issue it happened about 2 minutes after power up and about 1:30 into my actual flight. The video had a really jittery look and everything was kinda blurry after it happened.

Reactions: Drumsagard
I have a theory on this because I've noticed a lot of M2P people post on MA2 topics.

Maybe people see topics over on the right hand side under "New Topics" and don't realize that they are in one forum or the other.

So, a little update. I got an email response from Polar Pro asking for more info like when it happens does it happen with other filters etc... I didn't remember exactly when it happened during my flight so I put it back on, fired up the drone and went for a flight...not one single issue. It was really windy, it was really hot, and I was flying around in sport mode like a mad man...no issue. SO I don't know what the problem is or was. I like it when things actually break or have consistent problems...intermittent things suck. I plan on messing with it some more though.

When I did have the issue it happened about 2 minutes after power up and about 1:30 into my actual flight. The video had a really jittery look and everything was kinda blurry after it happened.
Exactly what happened, apologies!

Reactions: mschaffer66
Your gimbal may have dust or dirt inside the vertical movement . Just an FYI, Never opporate the drone without a filter or the empty ring in place. The mount holes left exposed is a direct path into the gimbal movement components. Just a little dust will make this error and cause you gimbal vertical movement to be a little jumpy. A little compressed air without the filter in place can sometimes rectify the issue.

A little update on this.

Polar Pro sent me a new filter.

I also blew out, gently with canned air all around the gimbal including the holes the filter snaps into.

I flew on full battery straight through with zero issues. I'm going to try to mount the old filter again to see if it was the filter or the blow out.

So far biggest thing I can say is that Polar Pro is a stand up company!

Reactions: Drumsagard
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet