DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police seriously consider drones as tools

DroneJI

Reactions
I just read a article about police departments and their plans to use drones as a regular tool. https://www.policeone.com/2018-guide-drones/
This is real interesting and can go either way! A valuable tool or another way to invade peoples privacy depending on the Government that’s using them! I have LEOs in my Family they have mixed feelings about their use and possible Abuse! But as with anything there’s always a Light and Dark side! I do like There ideas on putting special sensors on them to diffuse situations and also to rescue people. I haven’t personally seen a Police Department use a drone I know they have them maybe just not in my little town?

In the UK there are some Police Forces which use them and quite a few are looking into using them as a way to save using an expensive helicopter for everything. Drones outfitted correctly would be great at searching open areas for vulnerable missing persons, also would be useful for taking arial images of crime scenes or of serious road traffic collisions to help win investigations. However, clearly they would not be useful for pursuits so helicopters will still be needed.

Most of my friends are LEOs and they like the idea. My neighbors dept partially paid for his to use while on duty.
I had a City Inspector stop by, and while talking to him, he said they use Google Earth and Drones for comparison shots.
I think they are being used more than we think [emoji6]

There were reports that the Police on the Carolina coast sighting sharks while in pursuit of a criminal

NY City use's them and many Fire departments in the US are using them too. i live in a small town and i know
they have a Phantom 4

Drones are increasingly used by the police in the UK, some forces make more use of them than others. They are used for overwatch/containing firearms incidents as live video can be viewed by the incident commander. As mentioned above they are also used for missing person searches and crime scene/RTC scene photography.

The volunteer Lowland Rescue teams make good use of drones for searching open areas of land quickly or areas that are not as easily accessible. They are also used by the water rescue teams to view an area before deploying people to the water for example checking to see how many if any occupants there are in a vehicle stranded in flood water and checking out the hazards. Some of the drones have thermal imaging which is great for water rescues at night and directing resources/identifying casualties.

The LR teams also provide assistance for local Fire & Rescue Services too by putting up drones over large building fires so that the commander on the ground can direct their resources more appropriately and identify hazards of concern eg gas canisters in storage yards. They are also used for fire investigation purposes with 3D mapping and HD photos useful for identifying the seat of a fire.

I think drone usage will increase for emergency services with all of the budget cuts as the helicopters are so expensive per hours to fly compared to a drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa