DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

POLL Did you pass part 107 the first try?

Did you pass the first time or did it take another or more tries?

• First try!!

Votes: 76 95.0%
  • Second try!

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • More than two tries

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Tufargon

Reactions
Anonymous poll. I see a lot of people say they passed the first try but I'm thinking that people that fail just don't make new threads on it. I'm just curious to see some numbers.

Last edited:
First try for me back in November, as voted above. It was honestly easier than I thought in both the preparation and the taking because I already had been a part 91 pilot for 10 years, giving me familiarity with many of the concepts. I scored a little over 98% after reviewing the FAA's document and doing some extra research. I'd definitely recommend extra research because the FAA hasn't updated the document recently.

First try and earned my PI T shirt with no previous aviation experience or knowledge base.

Reactions: Dbez1 and Tufargon
Anonymous poll. I see a lot of people say they passed the first try but I'm thinking that people that fail just don't make new threads on it. I'm just curious to see some numbers.
18/1/0 currently.

The results should show at the top of the page after you've voted.

18/1/0 currently.

The results should show at the top of the page after you've voted.
Not sure what you mean. I set the poll up so you could see the results. Anonymous only means you can't see the names of the people that voted.
You also don't need to vote to see the results. Just hit "View Results".

Last edited:
I initially took the test just to see what the questions were like as I knew the test was difficult. Did it in 10 minutes without looking anything up and passed with a decent score. It wasn’t as hard as I had imagined.

Reactions: Tufargon
Not sure what you mean. I set the poll up so you could see the results. Anonymous only means you can't see the names of the people that voted.
You also don't need to vote to see the results. Just hit "View Results".
No worries. I thought you were having trouble seeing the numerical results.

I passed my 107 exam on the first try. I didn’t get the best score, or at least I didn’t get the score I was hoping for. I passed with an %89, but was hoping for %95 or better. Some people (me included) just are not good test taker’s.

1st try but I already had a part 61 certification so a lot of it was remedial.

Last edited:
Seems we mostly only hear from the ones that passed the first time. Ones that were already experienced in the aviation field. I thought it would get a lot more votes since it was anonymous. The results so far are promising for someone thinking about going for it though.

The thing to remember is 70 is passing and it doesn't matter what score as long as you get 70. Once you pass you will never use the info except when retesting every 2 years. I downloaded a 100 test question sample, took a hour or so to memorize the answers then passed initially then again last year during renewal. It's easy and there should be no need to pay for a class or any of that. Anyone can pass first try.

First try, only missed 2. Who ever heard of a lenticular cloud?!? Completely self study, too. I am a licensed Maritime Captain, which helped with the charts.

First try, only missed 2. Who ever heard of a lenticular cloud?!? Completely self study, too. I am a licensed Maritime Captain, which helped with the charts.
I had Meteorology in Junior College. I've heard of a lenticular cloud. Should have been mentioned in study materials. I missed two myself, but one was on elevation. Guess I misread the chart.

The thing to remember is 70 is passing and it doesn't matter what score as long as you get 70. Once you pass you will never use the info except when retesting every 2 years. I downloaded a 100 test question sample, took a hour or so to memorize the answers then passed initially then again last year during renewal. It's easy and there should be no need to pay for a class or any of that. Anyone can pass first try.
I have to respectfully disagree. It does matter what you get from a personal perspective. Why settle for mediocre when you can be better and more informed? Will I use in a practical sense everything I learned from the PI course? Probably not, but it did give me a pretty good sense of aviation from a broader perspective which I did not have before.

Personal excellence is a big driver in my life. If I had scored a 70, in my mind I have failed. I expect much more and just squeaking by doesn't cut it for me. I would still be able to use all the privileges of a 107 certification but how good and knowledgeable am I?

I did very well on the exam and earned my PI T shirt. Even though I did well, there's so much more to learn and I will (and have) return to the PI videos to refresh my knowledge base. If I got 100 on the exam (I didn't), I would feel the same way. There is no end to learning and understanding,

Understand that I do not expect the same from others. This is ONLY my spin and other folks must do whatever resonates right and true for them to do.

My sense of learning isn't memorizing answers. That methodology becomes a limiting element in the learning process.

Again, I don't want to get anyone upset. Whatever works for them is fine by me, but I can't embrace just being mediocre.

Reactions: snowghost
I think anyone who flies sailplanes would probably be familiar. Glider pilots set altitude records with lenticular clouds.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki