DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Possible ESC damage after stopping props with my finger?

LF-Advice

Reactions
Hi everyone,

when I was hand-landing my Air 2S, I accidentally touched one of the spinning props with my finger (I know :rolleyes:).

I’ve seen a lot of threads here that mention defective ESCs after the motors being stopped abruptly.

Now I’m panicking if this has done any harm to the motor / ESC. At least a finger is a bit more flexible than a tree though.

I couldn‘t take another flight since this happened but I just turned it on in my room to see if there‘s anything malfunctioning. The initializing process and the clicking sounded just normal and I didn’t see any error message pop up on the screen.

If I had a defective ESC, when would it show the error message, immediately after turning it on or when trying to take off?

Do I have to be anxious about upcoming failures?
Will go on a trip next week and don't have the possibility to make a test flight before. So any advise or similar experience that soothe my conscience would be much appreciated :D
Thanks!

Last edited:
@LF-Advice i would say that the drone probably came off better than your finger in the encounter ,its no different to landing in long grass or rough terrain ,once the stick down to land phase has been initiated then the ESC should be ok ,obviously it could cause problems if it happened lots of times

Hi everyone,

when I was hand-landing my Air 2S, I accidentally touched one of the spinning props with my finger (I know :rolleyes:).

I’ve seen a lot of threads here that mention defective ESCs after the motors being stopped abruptly.

Now I’m panicking if this has done any harm to the motor / ESC. At least a finger is a bit more flexible than a tree though.

I couldn‘t take another flight since this happened but I just turned it on in my room to see if there‘s anything malfunctioning. The initializing process and the clicking sounded just normal and I didn’t see any error message pop up on the screen.

If I had a defective ESC, when would it show the error message, immediately after turning it on or when trying to take off?

Will go on a trip next week and don't have the possibility to make a test flight before. So any advise or similar experience that soothe my conscience would be much appreciated :D
Thanks!
Pretty sure you're good to go. Sounds like a minor hit. As far as the ESC, if it were actively engaged, it wouldnt allow you to start the motors, and the motor in question, would be beeping, and making small, clipped, motions to signify which motor had the issue. I'm sure that if you caused any lasting damage to the drone, or its ESC function, you would be recieving some form of notification indicating just that. I think you're good to go. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it's not doing anything suspect. Also, not sure how you feel about add ons but, I purchased a set of skid style landing gear that actually aid in hand catching my Mini 2. They act as a sort of handle. And, there's ALWAYS the Rescue Jacket made by Phantomrain.org
It is, by far, my favorite way to land/catch my drones. Adds space to protect your fingers and adds stability as well. I'll attach some pics. Hope any of this helps.

Attachments

• 16270458224302884107428748492890.jpg
    16270458224302884107428748492890.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 16270461442956117275694552600529.jpg
    16270461442956117275694552600529.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Power up the drone inside your home just as you would outside - don't need to take off - and see what happens. If you get no error messages, I'd say your good to go. I've hit things (branches / etc.) that stopped the props in the year I've been flying my Air2 and it keeps on chugging along with no issues.

May want to invest in some leather gloves and put one on the "catch" hand for future hand landings. At least it might save some digits (fingers) from being cut up.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Hello,
I know that when the ESC is in trouble because the propellers are not inserted properly or in the proper way, the MA2 and DA2S will refuse to startup.
It is a different issue but both issues will lead to malfunctioning ESC so I think your MA2 should be fine as the firware will be able to detect a problem with ESC response.

Thanks @1TenaciousG @tlswift58 @Guido Cangelosi very helpful and calms me a bit down ?

I tested it today it‘s flying just fine.

One small detail I came across though: when I detach the props and rotate the motor slowly with my thumb and finger, I feel a tiny bit more resistance compared to the others. This one also feels a tad warmer when touching it after the flight.

Can anyone confirm if this is the same with your A2S?

Pretty sure you're good to go. Sounds like a minor hit. As far as the ESC, if it were actively engaged, it wouldnt allow you to start the motors, and the motor in question, would be beeping, and making small, clipped, motions to signify which motor had the issue. I'm sure that if you caused any lasting damage to the drone, or its ESC function, you would be recieving some form of notification indicating just that. I think you're good to go. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it's not doing anything suspect. Also, not sure how you feel about add ons but, I purchased a set of skid style landing gear that actually aid in hand catching my Mini 2. They act as a sort of handle. And, there's ALWAYS the Rescue Jacket made by Phantomrain.org
It is, by far, my favorite way to land/catch my drones. Adds space to protect your fingers and adds stability as well. I'll attach some pics. Hope any of this helps.
Where did you buy the skids for the MM2? I have them on my MP, use them as a handle as well.

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
Where did you buy the skids for the MM2? I have them on my MP, use them as a handle as well.
From Amazon. They were only like $7, when I bought them, but they're selling for only $4.55 now. I'll drop a link if it let's me.

From Amazon. They were only like $7, when I bought them, but they're selling for only $4.55 now. I'll drop a link if it let's me.
Thank you for the info, I paid $40.00 for the MP skids. The skids for the MM2 should raise it much higher if a grass landings as well. Just ordered a new MM2, supposed to be here end of the month. Thanks again.

You know, I wasn't aware they sold these type for the Pro. Can you drop some pics and maybe a link for those? I would love to pick some up for my Pro, as well.
The skids for the MP are from a place called Arris Raptor. I paid $50.00 for two skids about 3 years ago. Don't buy the pontoons, only good to fly over water zero to 5 mile ph winds. much to Bulky. Check it out on line, skids are awesome, have them for both MP's. I came up with a telescoping pole to attach to them for filming indoors, helps keep me from crashing. Also, for filming in super rainy days, 40 mile an hour winds, heavy snow storms.
It's not flying, just filming. Thats my thing. Sorry, could not send you a link, if you can't find it. I will send it at a later date, and pictures, as well.

The skids for the MP are from a place called Arris Raptor. I paid $50.00 for two skids about 3 years ago. Don't buy the pontoons, only good to fly over water zero to 5 mile ph winds. much to Bulky. Check it out on line, skids are awesome, have them for both MP's. I came up with a telescoping pole to attach to them for filming indoors, helps keep me from crashing. Also, for filming in super rainy days, 40 mile an hour winds, heavy snow storms.
It's not flying, just filming. Thats my thing. Sorry, could not send you a link, if you can't find it. I will send it at a later date, and pictures, as well.
Thanks for the info. I'll track them down.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Is your software up to date ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU