DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Post crash question

Gr8fulTed

Reactions
I am not a super experienced drone pilot, but do have a small bit of experience. This past weekend I was flying my MA2 and experienced my first ever crash, which was my own fault. I had it hovering 12-15 up and about 20 feet to my left. I looked down at the screen and slowly turned the drone while recording, making sure what I wanted was in the shot. I was in the woods and didn't realize as I was turning it that there was a very small branch that the drone (nor I) could detect because of no side sensors . The MA2 hit the branch, then the trunk of the tree and dropped the 12 or so feet onto the earth with pine needles. Boy was I fraught and kicking myself.

There were a few scratches on the end front top, the camera was pushed to one side, and a blade had come off. Upon inspection, the camera was easily returned to the normal, centered place by my hand gently returning it there. I brushed the drone off, but did have to replace a blade on the front of the drone. It was no longer usable. I immediately went to get it into the air again to insure everything was ok. Everything seemed to work just fine. However, I did notice that the lights on the front legs continued to be red during flight while the lights on the back were green.

Anyone care to give a dummy their thoughts on what the red lights remaining on might mean?

Thanks for any help.

Unless I'm missing something, the lights on the front legs are always solid red to indicate the front of the aircraft. If the rear lights are blinking any kind of green, you are OK. Sounds like you dodged a bullet (or a tree in this case).

I am not a super experienced drone pilot, but do have a small bit of experience. This past weekend I was flying my MA2 and experienced my first ever crash, which was my own fault. I had it hovering 12-15 up and about 20 feet to my left. I looked down at the screen and slowly turned the drone while recording, making sure what I wanted was in the shot. I was in the woods and didn't realize as I was turning it that there was a very small branch that the drone (nor I) could detect because of no side sensors . The MA2 hit the branch, then the trunk of the tree and dropped the 12 or so feet onto the earth with pine needles. Boy was I fraught and kicking myself.

There were a few scratches on the end front top, the camera was pushed to one side, and a blade had come off. Upon inspection, the camera was easily returned to the normal, centered place by my hand gently returning it there. I brushed the drone off, but did have to replace a blade on the front of the drone. It was no longer usable. I immediately went to get it into the air again to insure everything was ok. Everything seemed to work just fine. However, I did notice that the lights on the front legs continued to be red during flight while the lights on the back were green.

Anyone care to give a dummy their thoughts on what the red lights remaining on might mean?

Thanks for any help.
According to the user manual that seems to be the usual LED operation ... also you might have a camera setting that turns the fronts off while taking stills or shooting video.

(Download the full 53 page manual here --> https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/20200615/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.2_en_.pdf )

1603132602065.png

It could be detecting a faulty propellor. I would double check that all the propellors are still in pristine condition. No splits, chips or hairline cracks.

If it were me, I would replace the broken propellor and test the craft hovering just above the ground. If it lets you take off and hovers properly then I would replace all the propellors. From my experience hairline cracks are hard to see and during flight could potentially fail.

It could be detecting a faulty propellor. I would double check that all the propellors are still in pristine condition. No splits, chips or hairline cracks.

If it were me, I would replace the broken propellor and test the craft hovering just above the ground. If it lets you take off and hovers properly then I would replace all the propellors. From my experience hairline cracks are hard to see and during flight could potentially fail.
Thank you, I will check for hairline cracks. I did replace the broked prop before testing it.

Light colours change according to battery charge remaining in normal operation could it just be that.

My front lights are red unless it's taking a picture or videoing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69