DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Post heavy industry

Being near to the largest Bulgarian steel works, and judging by the "rust" red/brown colour of the exposed rock I would put it down to being a source or iron ore. It would have been nice to have seen some of the runoff water from the middle of the quarry more closely. Its white/blue colour in most of the video is only due to reflection of the sky/

If it had been from copper ore quarrying (probably malachite) the colour would be more probably blue/green.

My interest in the mineral in a disused quarry comes from me having had 42 years working in laboratories for the clay industry for both refractory materials and also facing brick manufacture.

Wish we'd had drones when I was at work - it'd have made quarry surveys a load easier!!!

Being near to the largest Bulgarian steel works, and judging by the "rust" red/brown colour of the exposed rock I would put it down to being a source or iron ore. It would have been nice to have seen some of the runoff water from the middle of the quarry more closely. Its white/blue colour in most of the video is only due to reflection of the sky/

If it had been from copper ore quarrying (probably malachite) the colour would be more probably blue/green.

My interest in the mineral in a disused quarry comes from me having had 42 years working in laboratories for the clay industry for both refractory materials and also facing brick manufacture.

Wish we'd had drones when I was at work - it'd have made quarry surveys a load easier!!!

Waw You have extensive knowledge of mining unlike me but I remember they dig for iron but found very small deposits and they imported it - very inefficient production ;)

Reactions: Whitwellian
Waw You have extensive knowledge of mining unlike me but I remember they dig for iron but found very small deposits and they imported it - very inefficient production ;)
I wasn't in a mining industry as such. Only what is generally classified as heavy clay industry/
Most of our raw materials when I worked in the facing brick industry came from large quarries situated adjacent to the brickworks. One exception to that was up in Lancashire, where the quarries were about 1.3 mile away and brought in by an aerial ropeway rather than lorries or conveyor belts.
As far as I'm aware, only one of our works, near Elland in Yorkshire had a small mine attached when we bought it. That was used to extract a fireclay for a small refractory works.

Reactions: alex_markov
I found the upbeat music an eerie counterpoise to the stark landscape of the mine. I would have liked to see some commentary on the history of the mine. Possibly a little research at a nearby library or newspaper archives would be revealing. But a very nice video, nonetheless.

I found the upbeat music an eerie counterpoise to the stark landscape of the mine. I would have liked to see some commentary on the history of the mine. Possibly a little research at a nearby library or newspaper archives would be revealing. But a very nice video, nonetheless.
Thank You for suggestions, I was thinking of something similar but did not made it yet ;)

You're spurring me on to take a trip up to Halifax to film one of the old works I was employed at - now derelict.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark