DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Post Processing platforms

Droning on and on...

Reactions
I expect the true professionals to scoff at this, so give me your best shot šŸ˜

Foldable phones are a game-changer for video editing and production in the field. I imagine that, under the right circumstances, a phone-produced end product can even be suitable for professional use, selling and making money. Don't know, as I don't sell my creations.

So, back to the point: I used to do all of my post production on a laptop, using Adobe Premier. Bought a Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 two years ago and still have it. It's an incredible phone to have if you shoot drone video.

With a fast USB C to UHS-II adapter, I do the vast majority of my post on the Z Fold 2, using PowerDirector Mobile. With a touchscreen capable stylus, fine edits can be easily achieved.

One of this biggest value propositions is I can do rough editing, add music/sound, etc. in the field on site. This has given me the opportunity, many times, to put the bird back in the air and reshoot, or shoot entirely new footage that I only realized I needed after doing the creative part of post production.

This has become such an easy and efficient work flow that it's my main platform for PP now. I still go back to the bigger platform for things not well supported with limited features on the mobile app ā€“ color grading comes to mind ā€“ but even that can be done decently with the basic adjustment tools on mobile (exposure, brightness, contrast, color temp, highlights, shadows, saturation, hue). Rarely need a scope or some of the fancier stuff to get good results.

Anyone else using a tablet or foldable phone for most PP these days? Man these portable devices have come a long way, baby!

Reactions: dozzn
That's really interesting to know. I can't see enough on a mobile device to do editing. Davinci Resolve is my NLE. I started with Vegus Pro, moved to Premiere, then now to DR. Complicated audio I do in Cubase.

I agree it's near impossible on a typical ~9:16 aspect ratio phone to do anything meaningful. Tools and other menus take up too much room.

Completely different on a tablet, which a foldable phone mimics pretty well. Here's what PowerDirector looks like on the Fold 2:

Screenshot_20230504_160647_PowerDirector.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu