DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Potentially a fix (maybe temporarily) for Air 2S Will not stay connected to RC Pro.

WyomingCB

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I read somewhere that switching transmission bands might improve the connection problems some of us have experienced.
Decided to try that before I boxed mine up for return. Wow!! BIG DIFFERENCE!!

I manually switched the transmission from Dual Band to 5.8 Ghz. It maintains connection (indoors at least) without fail. I was even able to leave the drone indoors while I went outside, putting multiple walls between controller and drone. I was still able to change video and gimbal settings, zoom, pitch, etc. Never bothered to unfold the antennas either......This is better connection than I've seen since it was removed from the box 4 days ago.
As soon as I switched back to Dual or Fixed 2.4, it started showing that same old error; Aircraft not connected to RC.

Weather is going to prevent real flight for a couple of days but I'll try flight on forced 5.8 next chance nature provides.
However, It seems to revert back to Dual Band on power up......something to add to pre-flight check.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
How is this likely to affect actual flight or video feed or range??

...I manually switched the transmission from Dual Band to 5.8 Ghz. It maintains connection (indoors at least) without fail.
As soon as I switched back to Dual or Fixed 2.4, it started showing that same old error; Aircraft not connected to RC.

Just out of curiosity ... have you checked your surroundings regarding WiFi interference? You can use whatever free phone app for that, just search for "WiFi Analyzer" or something similar. As the 2,4GHz frequency is so massively used in almost everything today it might be the reason.

The difference between the 2 frequencies are:

2,4GHz: The connection travels farther, carries less data, penetrate better but is far more exposed to interference due to it's wide use in electronic devices like microwaves, baby monitors, home networks and garage door openers.

5,8GHz: The connection have less range, carries more data, penetrate less but bounce better, and isn't so exposed to interference as the frequency isn't so widely used in electronics.

It's also important to know that interference is an issue the whole way between the RC & the AC ... so if you stand in interference with your RC it will be problems ... also if your AC flies in interference or if it's located somewhere in between the RC & AC.

Just out of curiosity ... have you checked your surroundings regarding WiFi interference? You can use whatever free phone app for that, just search for "WiFi Analyzer" or something similar. As the 2,4GHz frequency is so massively used in almost everything today it might be the reason.

2,4GHz: The connection travels farther, carries less data, penetrate better but is far more exposed to interference due to it's wide use in electronic devices like microwaves, baby monitors, home networks and garage door openers.

5,8GHz: The connection have less range, carries more data, penetrate less but bounce better, and isn't so exposed to interference as the frequency isn't so widely used in electronics.

It's also important to know that interference is an issue the whole way between the RC & the AC ... so if you stand in interference with your RC it will be problems ... also if your AC flies in interference or if it's located somewhere in between the RC & AC.
I never did see any interference error show up on screen but I'll check that out.
My initial test flights were on a hay field about a mile away;
If it is a home wifi router, would that interference have traveled a Mile?

2 wifi routers here, 2460 Mhz and 2430 Mhz. Isn't that basically 2.4 Ghz?
Would they travel a Mile? Or enough to cause connection problems?

...If it is a home wifi router, would that interference have traveled a Mile?
Nah ... not likely. But as I said, interference at your RC location or craft location where it is flying ... or somewhere in between along the line of sight can all give interference, but severe interference should give some messages on your screen or a sketchy live view ... not a sudden disconnect without any warning.

2 wifi routers here, 2460 Mhz and 2430 Mhz. Isn't that basically 2.4 Ghz?...
That's 2,4GHz yes ...

Reactions: WyomingCB
Bummer you're having issues. I have had the RC-N1, older Smart controller, and now the RC Pro with Air 2S and the best of the group has been the RC Pro. If you continue to have issues with the dual band option I would consider asking for a swap and try again.
Unfortunately, still having them. Over the last week there have been a few updates, they appear to have installed in good shape. Firmware revisions to both the Aircraft and the RC Pro:

Air 2S = 2.04.2130
DJI Fly = 1.5.8
RC Pro = 3.01.0500

Aircraft not connected to RC still happens frequently and without warning whenever transmission is set on Dual or 2.4 Ghz. Even with my home wifi router powered off.
Manually set 5.8 Ghz stays connected. Any reboot or restart of drone defaults everything back to Dual so the change must be done quickly.

I'm returning it today.

Unfortunately, still having them. Over the last week there have been a few updates, they appear to have installed in good shape. Firmware revisions to both the Aircraft and the RC Pro:

Air 2S = 2.04.2130
DJI Fly = 1.5.8
RC Pro = 3.01.0500

Aircraft not connected to RC still happens frequently and without warning whenever transmission is set on Dual or 2.4 Ghz. Even with my home wifi router powered off.
Manually set 5.8 Ghz stays connected. Any reboot or restart of drone defaults everything back to Dual so the change must be done quickly.

I'm returning it today.
Probably best to do so. It sounds like something is up for sure.

Reactions: WyomingCB
I read somewhere that switching transmission bands might improve the connection problems some of us have experienced.
Decided to try that before I boxed mine up for return. Wow!! BIG DIFFERENCE!!

I manually switched the transmission from Dual Band to 5.8 Ghz. It maintains connection (indoors at least) without fail. I was even able to leave the drone indoors while I went outside, putting multiple walls between controller and drone. I was still able to change video and gimbal settings, zoom, pitch, etc. Never bothered to unfold the antennas either......This is better connection than I've seen since it was removed from the box 4 days ago.

Weather is going to prevent real flight for a couple of days but I'll try flight on forced 5.8 next chance nature provides.
However, It seems to revert back to Dual Band on power up......something to add to pre-flight check.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
I have throughly tested this and 5.8 is solid transmission range and video, I have had zero disconnects with 5.8. The problem lies when you select dual band or 2.4ghz. I have tested M3 and Air2s both will disconnect for same reason and both work well on 5.8ghz. I have my Rc pro at Dji now for the 2nd time and am hoping they send me back something that doesn't disconnect.

I am really upset with this issue. Nothing changed until now. It is just like you said. Change to 5.8 and everything is ok. What really annoys me is that everytime I turn off the RCPro I have to set this again. Have to test the new firmware update.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf