Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

POWER BANK TO CHARGE MAVIC BATTERIES

A powerbank is a battery, so why not just buy an extra drone battery ?
I'm going hiking next year for 8 days without power socket anywhere AND I have to carry all my stuff. I am therefore more interested in a solar charger for my phone, Mavic Pro controller and maybe the battery if it has sufficient power and the right cables can connect.

covpack

I agree, you would be better served just buying another DJI battery if you go hiking. You cannot depend on solar panels. I tried a solar charger for my telephone, in anticipation of a 10-day back-country hike. It was the top of the line 1X4 foot foldout 4 panel laptop size solar panel pad. Issue was anytime it was not in the direct sunlight it did not even provide enough power to even allow the my Samsung G7 phone to even enter charging mode. The DJI battery is also intelligence battery,like one in my samsung phone. My hunch is that if the solar panel cannot provide enough power/amps then the DJI battery would stop charging, or if the battery gets to hot, which will happen as you have to leave the solar panel and battery in direct sunlight. i.e. one minute solar panel is in sun and providing enough amps to battery and then cloud comes and solar panel output decreases, which stops charging the DJI battery. The alternative was to charge a battery and then charge my phone or DJI battery. However, you must remember that you loose more power when transferring a charge from a battery to another battery/device. That 5 hour you used to charge that battery only provided about 50 percent charge for the phone. To get a meaningful charge you would also have to leave the phone plugged into the solar charger for 5-10 hours in direct sunlight. That would double if you charged a much larger DJI battery. Unable to do when you spend most of your daylight hiking and moving in and out of trees/shadows. Good luck it you live or hike in areas with constant cloud cover.
However, if you are working out of vehicle, a off road vehicle in my case, then having a portable battery to charge is cheaper than buying several DJI batteries.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips on solar chargers, I'll get a powerbank instead for phone & controller and maybe I'll buy an extra Mavic battery then. I have the combo pack but the three batteries are almost 2 years old now.
I was reading this thread and saw some complicated or expensive solutions passing by so I thought we were missing the obvious ;-)

covpack

Thanks for the tips on solar chargers, I'll get a powerbank instead for phone & controller and maybe I'll buy an extra Mavic battery then. I have the combo pack but the three batteries are almost 2 years old now.
I was reading this thread and saw some complicated or expensive solutions passing by so I thought we were missing the obvious ;-)
Good luck. I ended up buying extra batteries for my overnight hikes. However, I hate hauling heavy batteries, as every ounce counts when you backpack. I have a Mavic Air and Mavic 2. Mavic air and batteries a much lighter.

Loc
England
Site
www.youtube.com
I prefer to carry more batteries rather than power pack. The thing with individual batteries is that you can distribute the weight better. If you have a large powerpack it has to go in your backpack, with the individual batteries you can distribute them in your pockets. When you're carrying a large backpack with a ton of camera equipment already then it can make a big difference.

tbever

I was trying to figure this out as well. Basically the issue with powerbanks is that they need to supply enough current (Amps) to charge the battery. Most smaller power banks can't do it. There is a video on youtube where two power banks are connected in parallel and that worked. However this doubles the cost. I have a Jackery powerbank with an AC outlet that works and will charge the battery twice (I have only tested it once).

I already had a Maxoak K2 50000 mAh powerbank for my laptop and I wanted to try to see if that would work. I already had the DJI car charger but as others have pointed out the car has to be running.

I got this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078Q1624B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 DC-DC converter: it takes DC in at 20V from the maxoak and allowed me to adjust the output suitable for the car charger. I set it to output at 15V (the DJI car adapter accepts 12-16V). The Maxoak shuts down if the current is sustained at greater than 4.5 Amps, but there is a potentiometer on the converter to limit the current output which I set to 4.5 A using a multimeter. So far it seems to work OK: I haven't tested it enough to determine the charging times or to make sure the batteries are 100% charged.

However it was only $17.00 plus the cost of a 12V female power adapter (6.00) and 2.1 * 5.5 mm DC power pigtail cable (2.00). I already had the powerbank and car charger of course. I think if Energen comes out with cables for their device that would be the way to go, but until then this will work as an offgrid solution