DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Power Consumption Charging Mavic 2 Pro Battery

Sunshynff

Reactions
I recently purchased a M2AE w/ Thermal, it uses the standard Mavic 2 Pro batteries that work on a number of Mavic's. The only specs I could find on it, from battery label is...15.4v 4S 3840mah, I found a couple spec sheets on Mavic batteries, but it only listed the Mavic 2 Air's 3s battery, and the Mavic 3 Pro 4s battery, which says it's 77Wh, so I'm guessing that's in the ballpark of the Wh my batteries use. I bought the M2AE used in great shape, it came with all kinds of accessories including a large hard case, with a monitor built into the underside of the lid, and a power bank, Only issue I have is the power bank is older, it powers the monitor fine, but will not charge even a single battery if it's below 60%-70%, and that's using an OEM charging cable, not the multi-battery charger. So I replaced it with an inverter, not top of the line, not a cheapo either, well built and great reviews. It's a 12v using a pure sine wave, 750w continuous/1500w peak, two 120v outlets, 3 USB, and all the safety features and digital voltage input readout. I do search n rescue work, so I planned to power it using two 3S (11.1v - 12.6v) lipo batteries, 8000mah each with the option to connect them in parallel and use at the same time totaling 1600mah. And in a pinch I figured I could power it using my car battery since the inverter has an optional cigarette lighter type input and came with a battery cable to a the same type of connector. Today I charged up the two 3S batteries, and charged two of the Mavic batteries, both down to appx 30%, one at a time, and I barely got the second one charged, the Lipo batteries were down to 3.5v (10.5v total) per cell while charging, but recovered back to 3.8 per cell (11.4v total). The inverter will operate down to 10.2v, but I was gonna shut it down under 10.5v.

I didn't realize the Mavic batteries would pull that much power, do you think I would be better off getting a different type of battery to power the inverter, I was thinking something like a small deep cycle marine battery, but not quite sure. Just looking for any tips or advice, thank you!

Attachments

• 2024-09-06_183706.jpg
    2024-09-06_183706.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 2024-09-06_183651.jpg
    2024-09-06_183651.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 2024-09-06_183637.jpg
    2024-09-06_183637.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2024-09-06_184049.jpg
    2024-09-06_184049.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 8
I recently purchased a M2AE w/ Thermal, it uses the standard Mavic 2 Pro batteries that work on a number of Mavic's. The only specs I could find on it, from battery label is...15.4v 4S 3840mah, I found a couple spec sheets on Mavic batteries, but it only listed the Mavic 2 Air's 3s battery, and the Mavic 3 Pro 4s battery, which says it's 77Wh, so I'm guessing that's in the ballpark of the Wh my batteries use. I bought the M2AE used in great shape, it came with all kinds of accessories including a large hard case, with a monitor built into the underside of the lid, and a power bank, Only issue I have is the power bank is older, it powers the monitor fine, but will not charge even a single battery if it's below 60%-70%, and that's using an OEM charging cable, not the multi-battery charger. So I replaced it with an inverter, not top of the line, not a cheapo either, well built and great reviews. It's a 12v using a pure sine wave, 750w continuous/1500w peak, two 120v outlets, 3 USB, and all the safety features and digital voltage input readout. I do search n rescue work, so I planned to power it using two 3S (11.1v - 12.6v) lipo batteries, 8000mah each with the option to connect them in parallel and use at the same time totaling 1600mah. And in a pinch I figured I could power it using my car battery since the inverter has an optional cigarette lighter type input and came with a battery cable to a the same type of connector. Today I charged up the two 3S batteries, and charged two of the Mavic batteries, both down to appx 30%, one at a time, and I barely got the second one charged, the Lipo batteries were down to 3.5v (10.5v total) per cell while charging, but recovered back to 3.8 per cell (11.4v total). The inverter will operate down to 10.2v, but I was gonna shut it down under 10.5v.

I didn't realize the Mavic batteries would pull that much power, do you think I would be better off getting a different type of battery to power the inverter, I was thinking something like a small deep cycle marine battery, but not quite sure. Just looking for any tips or advice, thank you!
The easiest way to charge Mavic 2 batteries in the field and from a 12 volt DC power supply is to buy the official DJI OEM battery charger sold as part of the fly-more kit. It has a 'cigarette lighter' plug for vehicle use. Just remember to use it with the vehicle engine running.

Alternatively: buy yourself one of the Honda portable gensets (i-2.0) which will give you more than enough sparky go-go juice to run a decent parallel A/C charger. This is what's in the back of my Jeep when I end up in the arse-end of the back-of-beyond where plug sockets are a wild fantasy.

Reactions: Cafguy
I didn't realize the Mavic batteries would pull that much power
The Mavic 2 batteries are 60Wh, they don't pull more than that.

It's the devices between the Lipos & the Mavic batterie, all comes down to the efficentie of your converter & charging Brick.
In practice you can assume an average efficiency of 75% for each device you use.

Your 3s Lipos are 3x8x3.7=89Wh each, 178Wh Total

1. The converter 75% of 178Wh = 133Wh
2. Charching Brick 75% of remaining 133Wh = 100Wh

That leaves about 1.5 Mavic 2 batteries.

As @Felix already mentioned, you are better of using a car charger with your 2 LiPos, then you should be able to charge 2 Mavic batteries.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWaterOps