DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

power cord to charge the iPad to the controller and still work?

guardguy1963

Reactions
Good morning/good afternoon depending on where your from. I am a new pilot with the MaVic 2 Pro. I have it set on beginner mode for now until I get used to flying it proficiently. I have a question about using my iPad? I have down loaded the DJI app to it, and my question is, can I connect the power cord I use to charge the iPad to the controller and still work? I like the fact that I have more of a heads up control then trying to look down and stare at my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated for this new pilot.

WELCOME to the forum :)

Good morning/good afternoon depending on where your from. I am a new pilot with the MaVic 2 Pro. I have it set on beginner mode for now until I get used to flying it proficiently. I have a question about using my iPad? I have down loaded the DJI app to it, and my question is, can I connect the power cord I use to charge the iPad to the controller and still work? I like the fact that I have more of a heads up control then trying to look down and stare at my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated for this new pilot.
If I am understanding your question, there is a option in the Go 4 App for iOS devices to allow charging or not, understanding that your device will deplete charge on it's battery more so than the controller will supply enough to actually charge the iPad...perhaps with screen off and limited function you might gain a percent or two given some time.

More so this selector keeps the remote from draining the iPad rather than actually charge it. :)

Last edited:
If you are talking about connecting that cable to the 'normal' big USB socket between the phone carrier arms then, with Android, that is possible so I imagine it is also possible with IOS.........

edit
I deleted the rest as I was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
You definitely can use the iPad as a display when flying your drone. It is my preferred method when I am sitting at a picnic table or somewhere I can set the iPad. Much better viewing area.
You will need to stay in the shade or use a sun shade. Or both.

In my experience (iPad Pro 10.5, may be slightly different for e.g. the Mini) the RC doesn't so much 'charge' your iPad battery as it just slows the rate at which the battery dies, so you'll still want to fully charge your iPad (and RC) before heading out vs. expect the RC to keep a drained iPad battery going.

If you are talking about connecting that cable to the 'normal' big USB socket between the phone carrier arms then, with Android, that is possible so I imagine it is also possible with IOS..........BUT........
With android the app will not consider itself connected to the controller unless it has first been connected to the normal side port. After the app considers itself initialised the connection can be moved to the big USB port.
IOS might work the same way but I can't check at the moment as my iphone battery is flat.
No, you do not need to connect a mobile device, Android or iOS to the side port first before connecting to the bottom port. Not sure where you got this silly idea, particularly since as soon as a data connection is lost, the device has to redetect the connection including the type and redirect it to the proper app. By default the device asks.

What you DO have to do is remove the included short cable from the side port, otherwise the bottom port is 500mA power only.
The short cable puts the side port to OTA or A port. That seems to disable or "steal" the ability for the bottom port to be a full A port.

I too thought the OP was asking about providing charge to the iOS or the RC.

After rereading what he wrote and all the confusing and even wrong answers, I realized what he was really asking is if he can use the charging/data cable he has for the tablet and use it in place of the RC included short cable.
Answer: absolutely! That's what the bottom full size A port is for. Just be sure to completely remove the short cable from the RC side port.

To clarify what was not asked:
Because of USB standards, the RC must provide 500mA for a device to use if it wants. An Android will almost always use this power for slow charge.
With iOS, the Go app has a setting to have the iOS go into charge or not, courtesy of Apple providing an API for an app to have control over charging.

What many have also found is that you can connect a charger/power bank to the side port while using the bottom port for data. Make the connection while the RC is powered off. I tried making the charge connection in flight (test hover really) and the RC and app freaked out. Not the AC though, it still hovered normally.

I stand corrected, As to where I got the idea from, I would have to put that down to a mistaken memory of posts on here. I have removed the incorrect information.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka