DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Powerbank as additional power source?

We need a battery hack and max altitude hack. Plus upgrade the controller antennas to directional.

The battery on the MM is quite simple. They used Li-Ion cylindrical cells so if you can find lipo cells that use up all the space, that would work better. The only issue is that LiPo have a higher top voltage than the li-ion.

The battery on the MM is quite simple. They used Li-Ion cylindrical cells so if you can find lipo cells that use up all the space, that would work better. The only issue is that LiPo have a higher top voltage than the li-ion.
Standard LiPO and LiION have the same terminal voltage at 100% SOC (4.2V).

HiV LiPO wouldn't be a problem anyway. I say this because if you look at the specs for the Japan battery it is
There is no difference in "top voltage" for LiPO and LiION cells, 4.2V for both at full SOC. Yes HiV LiPO are 4.35 but this will present no problem. I say this because if you look at the spec for the Japan version battery it is a higher voltage pack, the mini can handle the increased voltage out of the box.

A couple of additional observations and considerstions:

When the payload is a battery adding extra power, the 1.2s/g flight time loss is more than offset by the gain in flight time from extra power. On the P3P and P4, I added 500g of weight in two external 2800 mAh batteries comprising 5600 additional mAh of power. Stock I was getting 18 minutes at a continuous 30mph. With the externals hooked up under the same flight conditions, I was getting 27 minutes, for a roughly 50% increase in flight time. If the 1.2s/g loss of flight time is accurate, by adding 500g of weight, I lost 10 minutes of flight time, so the 9 minute gain was from adding battery power capable of delivering 19 minutes more of flight time, which is roughly correct. The stock battery was 5300 mAh on the P4, and I was adding 5600 mAh. Roughly a 50% increase in flight time by adding 105% of the stock battery power. That was the sweet spot for me, factoring in additional battery weight and highest mAh available per gram of weight in externals.

Using your 100g estimate of dead weight, and the 1.2s/g loss of flight time from the Phantoms, that would only be a 2 minute loss (120 s) rather than 10 minutes, before the gain in flight time from extra battery power is taken into consideration. I just question whether a power bank can supply the power at a fast enough rate to supplement a drone battery during flight!
P3P and P4 are made to carry weight and have many aftermarket attachments for that reason. The MM definitely does not. Love my fishing Phantoms. My new MM will be a spotter. Perfect
Capt

well that took #19 posts to answer the OPs question ,which in itself, the question i mean was to me a very strange thing to ask by someone new to drones and waiting for a mavic mini to arrive,its a shame he hadnt waited then he could have read the manual and found the answer to his question himself just my thoughts thats all

Standard LiPO and LiION have the same terminal voltage at 100% SOC (4.2V).

HiV LiPO wouldn't be a problem anyway. I say this because if you look at the specs for the Japan battery it is

There is no difference in "top voltage" for LiPO and LiION cells, 4.2V for both at full SOC. Yes HiV LiPO are 4.35 but this will present no problem. I say this because if you look at the spec for the Japan version battery it is a higher voltage pack, the mini can handle the increased voltage out of the box.
I totally agree the AC itself won't care about an extra volt, but the battery management IC might get confused and might not charge the HV to its full capabilities. First constant current until set top voltage reached, then constant voltage until battery current drops below a set point.

I totally agree the AC itself won't care about an extra volt, but the battery management IC might get confused and might not charge the HV to its full capabilities. First constant current until set top voltage reached, then constant voltage until battery current drops below a set point.
Ok, yes fair enough if the intent is to repack (swap out the 18650 for lipo) but likely only if you go the HV lipo route. And yes you probably would as there is more increased wh advantage from the higher permissible terminal voltage of HV LiPo than the packaging format.

I can see where you were heading now and agree yes for HV lipo a direct repack might prove problematic. Would require a reflash if the parameters in the battery management SOC (chemistry type).

well that took #19 posts to answer the OPs question ,which in itself, the question i mean was to me a very strange thing to ask by someone new to drones and waiting for a mavic mini to arrive,its a shame he hadnt waited then he could have read the manual and found the answer to his question himself just my thoughts thats all
Agreed ? my exact thoughts

Reactions: old man mavic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman