DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PR and Courtesy

Melvoid

Reactions
There's been a big construction project in our area. For the past year, they've been replacing a series of three old bridges with one big new one. The new one is finally done and they're removing the old ones.

Yesterday, I went to see what I could get from the air and an employee of the construction company was parked there when I drove in. He watched from his truck until I got the 'copter out and then came out and said I really couldn't be flying over the area. I mentioned that I'd been coming by periodically and getting videos of the progress and that I wasn't going to fly directly over anything, etc.

I also got him talking about the recent blasting of the bridge off its abutments - and how I'd have loved to get that on video - and after about 3 minutes of talking he said I could go ahead and get my video and as he got ready to drive off, he actually thanked me!!! I'm not sure what for, but...

In the attachment (DJI_832b), you see the third, main bridge being dismantled and the new one in the background. Because of islands in the river, the old one was really three separate bridges. The new one is just one long bridge about a quarter mile downstream. The other attachment (DJI_283...) is from about 4 years ago

Here's a link to the Wisconsin DOT's site, showing video of the blast. I wasn't there, but I live 6 miles away and was outside when it happened. It was extremely loud, even that far away. Didn't take long to guess what it was, either. Click the link, and then click the first image you see.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• DJI_0832b.JPG
    DJI_0832b.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • DJI_0283_133_Bridge-35.jpg
    DJI_0283_133_Bridge-35.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hasn't really been an issue for me since I know I have been seen but not approached. My personal rule of thumb is if it's a private construction such as an office building or a retirement home then I try to respect the area and probably will do as you have done. If it's a public project like the bridge on a freeway, a new toll road, or upgrades to city hall....if I paid for it, I can film it.

I couldn’t agree more, I find that people unfamiliar with drones are more interested than fearful. A little conversation can go a long way.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
munmunlil