DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

practice and attention needed for photo work

edfrombama

Reactions
Good evening to all-
Today I took my Mini 2 out to the Causeway- a low, semi-wild roadway that runs across upper Mobile Bay here in coastal Alabama. Great place for seeing and photographing all kinds of wildlife. I got some good videos of white pelicans- or so I thought-, but I see from viewing my video, that I need to really pay attention to sun position, relation of sun to drone and subject, and positioning of the drone and its movements.
Doing camera work from an elevated position is something I have not done much of. I have done many years of handheld photo work for magazines, books, and such publications.
But this drone photography- well, as blues singer Keb'Mo sings, "That's a whole 'nother thang."
I think I will come to really like shooting outdoor photos and videos from a drone, but Lord, it is going to take some learning and working.
Oh, and I did NOT fly BVLOS. I was such a good boy.

You all be safe and keep well- Ed

that I need to really pay attention to sun position,

If you're an Android user, this app is free in the Play Store.

If you want to plan shots in the future, this app will help to determine the sun angle, shade, golden hour, etc.

Good evening to all-
Today I took my Mini 2 out to the Causeway- a low, semi-wild roadway that runs across upper Mobile Bay here in coastal Alabama. Great place for seeing and photographing all kinds of wildlife. I got some good videos of white pelicans- or so I thought-, but I see from viewing my video, that I need to really pay attention to sun position, relation of sun to drone and subject, and positioning of the drone and its movements.
Doing camera work from an elevated position is something I have not done much of. I have done many years of handheld photo work for magazines, books, and such publications.
But this drone photography- well, as blues singer Keb'Mo sings, "That's a whole 'nother thang."
I think I will come to really like shooting outdoor photos and videos from a drone, but Lord, it is going to take some learning and working.

It's just a tripod in the sky. All other photographic principles remain the same.

White Pelicans on the Causeway? How did you see through all the poule d'eaus?

I've wanting to get over that way and shoot some photos of the battleship. It's right on the edge of the controlled airspace for KBFM, but you can fly over the forward half of it without a clearance.

White Pelicans on the Causeway? How did you see through all the poule d'eaus?

I've wanting to get over that way and shoot some photos of the battleship. It's right on the edge of the controlled airspace for KBFM, but you can fly over the forward half of it without a clearance.
MS Coast- There are many places to launch a drone to shoot photos/videos of the battleship. I do not know if there are no-fly zones there- i haven't tried to fly there yet.
And there are waterbirds of all kinds here now- mudhens, coots, hell-divers, and some regulation ducks, too. and lots of bald eagles.
Come on over and see what you can see-
you all keep well and stay safe- Ed

MS Coast- There are many places to launch a drone to shoot photos/videos of the battleship. I do not know if there are no-fly zones there- i haven't tried to fly there yet.
And there are waterbirds of all kinds here now- mudhens, coots, hell-divers, and some regulation ducks, too. and lots of bald eagles.
Come on over and see what you can see-
you all keep well and stay safe- Ed
I grew up in Mobile and know that area pretty well. As soon as the weather warms up a little, I'll be going up into the delta to do some video and photos.

Most of the Causeway east of the battleship is open to fly, but there's a lot of controlled airspace to the west. Don't trust the DJI Fly app to keep you in the clear, though. It's not official and it's often wrong. I use the B4YOUFLY app to get the FAA official word on a location. A LAANC approval is definitely required for anything aft of superstructure of the battleship and most of the park.

Hi from Sweden,,
I was into Yuneec Hexa dronephoto up to 2019 and now Mini2 since 2020 mainly for Real Estate and serveillance purpose.
Mini2 as I can fly over people and the great flight time. Its so important to pic the right "sun and shadow". AutoISO doesn't work for me, if necessary I go back for the "next perfect light" and shadow. Ask the customer about the right time to take the video or pics. Normally I chose video and then do screen-grabs to make still pics to the custormer. Works great. You can se some of my drone pics here: www.facebook.com/photo2besweden

Attachments

• swe1.jpg
    swe1.jpg
    750.3 KB · Views: 4
  • swe2.jpg
    swe2.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
All the basic rules of photography apply.
It's just that you have lot more freedom to choose perspective.
Though with that really small 12MP sensor you have limited dynamic range and low light performance.

Also don't rush in flying and keep it simple and avoid risk untill having good amount of experience

And learn from the mistakes of others. Your drone won't survive long enough to do them all:
https://www.youtube.com/c/KenHeron/search?query=crash compilation

Good evening to all-

One difference is that you can shoot straight down, which makes for some of the most unusual and dramatic shots. Hiking along mountain ridges and cliff faces, you aren’t limited to the outward view. You get views you can’t even see otherwise.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986