DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Practicing Surfing Video

Really good video but the music selection does not match.

Mmmm the music I thought was OK... personally I would have gone straight for "Pipeline" by the Ventures!.... but music is a very personal thing. As far as distance I thought it was very good, as noted above not to far, not too close. Much closer and you run the risk of "overhead flight" which of course the FAA frowns upon without a waiver. You got some excellent shots there!

Mmmm the music I thought was OK... personally I would have gone straight for "Pipeline" by the Ventures!.... but music is a very personal thing. As far as distance I thought it was very good, as noted above not to far, not too close. Much closer and you run the risk of "overhead flight" which of course the FAA frowns upon without a waiver. You got some excellent shots there!

Yes it was close enough.

The music reminds me of 80’s video game music, but with a cleaner synthesizer.

Personally I think your distance/height is fine, far enough away to get a nice view of the wave but close enough the get reasonable detail of the surfer. High enough to be clear of spray and not distract the surfers.
I totally agree.
I think it does because it's The Beach Boys(ish) but it sounds like a wav file. I understand younger people would put way different audio to it but to me it works if it wasn't a wav file type sound.

Yes zeusfl, I agree. I tried to find something better and couldn‘t come up with anything I liked. I need to do a better job of researching music. I may have to resort to buying a subscription to “free music” websites. :confused: Thanks for the kick in my lazy backside. I’ll find a better match next time.

I totally agree.

I think it does because it's The Beach Boys(ish) but it sounds like a wav file. I understand younger people would put way different audio to it but to me it works if it wasn't a wav file type sound.
I totally agree.

Hmm, don’t know why I got two quotes.
So help an old man out, how does a wav file sound different than other file types? I’m struggling with this whole finding music to fit the video thing. I thought wav files were uncompressed and therefore of better quality than say mp3 files. Of course, my being mostly deaf, thanks to the US Navy, doesn’t help much. LOL

Last edited:
Granddad, I'm 4 years older than you so my music tastes may be antiquated. I paid for an annual subscription to Soundstripe. In the time I've had it I've downloaded enough music to last the rest of my life. I probably won't renew as I have so much music stored on an external drive broken up into various genres: instrumental, piano, guitar, Celtic, Hawaiian, vocal. I also think your height was fine. Getting closer might distract a surfer and the last thing you want is for him/her to have an injury because of losing focus. Beautiful area.

Granddad, I'm 4 years older than you so my music tastes may be antiquated. I paid for an annual subscription to Soundstripe. In the time I've had it I've downloaded enough music to last the rest of my life. I probably won't renew as I have so much music stored on an external drive broken up into various genres: instrumental, piano, guitar, Celtic, Hawaiian, vocal. I also think your height was fine. Getting closer might distract a surfer and the last thing you want is for him/her to have an injury because of losing focus. Beautiful area.
Thanks Dan, I'll check out Soundstripe.

Reactions: CorralesDan
Been trying to get some practice at capturing surfers in San Diego. Going to have to get braver and fly closer and lower, but at least I haven't got it wet yet. LOL

Nice work!I've using a Mavic 2 Pro to get stills sometimes extracted from video.(I know where the button is to start video but that's about it).Some shots from the side turn out well capturing the wave.Not trying to hijack the thread but just to show angles.Nice work following the surfers!
Hard to go wrong with he Beach Boys!

Attachments

• DJI_0008-LR-  %22VJ%22  SURFER DRONE MOTION BLUR.-SURFER MOTION BLUR.jpg
    DJI_0008-LR- %22VJ%22 SURFER DRONE MOTION BLUR.-SURFER MOTION BLUR.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DJI_0782-LR DRONE   %22CAP,SH DRONE,FB%22 SENT JAMIE   LONG BEACH SIDE WAVE SURFER PADDLING.jpg
    DJI_0782-LR DRONE %22CAP,SH DRONE,FB%22 SENT JAMIE LONG BEACH SIDE WAVE SURFER PADDLING.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • DJI_0783-LR DRONE SURFING GOOD HARBOR GLOUCESTER#2.jpg
    DJI_0783-LR DRONE SURFING GOOD HARBOR GLOUCESTER#2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Very nice!

Reactions: GrandDad48
Hmm, don’t know why I got two quotes.
So help an old man out, how does a wav file sound different than other file types? I’m struggling with this whole finding music to fit the video thing. I thought wav files were uncompressed and therefore of better quality than say mp3 files. Of course, my being mostly deaf, thanks to the US Navy, doesn’t help much. LOL
A wav file doesn't usually have actual instruments. All generated like a synthesizer. It's an older file type usually used for like the sounds from Windows operating systems. Error sounds etc... Mp3's or mp4's are kind of the norm now. Wav files just sound cheap and cheezy.

Reactions: GrandDad48
Nice work!I've using a Mavic 2 Pro to get stills sometimes extracted from video.(I know where the button is to start video but that's about it).Some shots from the side turn out well capturing the wave.Not trying to hijack the thread but just to show angles.Nice work following the surfers!
Hard to go wrong with he Beach Boys!
Thanks. I like shooting from the side, but I used my Mini 2 to shoot some surfers a while back and got a little too close to the wave for my comfort. o_O

Attachments

• Wave.jpg
    Wave.jpg
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: offtheback
A wav file doesn't usually have actual instruments. All generated like a synthesizer. It's an older file type usually used for like the sounds from Windows operating systems. Error sounds etc... Mp3's or mp4's are kind of the norm now. Wav files just sound cheap and cheezy.
Thanks for educating this old dog, Tufargon. New tricks don't come as easy as they used to. 🤣

Reactions: Tufargon
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure