DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Precision Landing Accuracy - with high contrast target

swb_mct

Reactions
The Precision Landing checkbox presented when you use the slide-switch for take off has a pop-up message that says it will ascend and hover at 30ft (if I remember correctly). I understand it uses visual information for accuracy correct ?

After 2 feet of April snow, I put a 30" square piece of cardboard on the snow to support the Mavic prior to takeoff and to provide a high contrast visual target. When it performs the RTH its always about 2 feet off of the Target in random directions. I intercept and hand-land so it doesn't get tangled up and ingest deep powder snow.

Is 2-3 feet off center the normal accuracy for "precision landing" I have seen videos that are around 6" off-target. This not a problem, just a question.

Reactions: cocolim
Your problem may be the snow. Too much or too little light destroys the accuracy of precision landing. As a comparison, have you tried it without the snow?

I put a pine cone on the driveway where it left and it came right back to it from 8,000ft away. Even did a rotation of 180 degrees to face the same direction when it landed.

Reactions: locoman and ToddR
As a comparison, have you tried it without the snow?
I have never had a distinct target without the snow (I have only had it 4 two weeks) and wasn't to concerned about accuracy since there were no surface hazards to worry about. I am sure I will learn as I go.

Reactions: cocolim and ToddR
Never been in snow but when using my 3' landing pad it usually hits the target. At times it misses though and to tell the truth I haven't been able to figure out why. I'm not a constant RTH user but I test the quad using it during the first flight. I always let it hover for a second and make sure the home point updates. My other friends I fly with seem to have similar results.

Reactions: locoman

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaybee1966